• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    I have been thinking about getting into bow fishing but do not know anything about it. Do I need fishing license or hunting license? Where is a good place to go bow fishing in MD or PA? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Heres a little motivation for you! This is one of my buddies that lives out in Washington State.

bowfishing.jpg
    [/IMG]

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Now is the time for Carp. They are in the shallows spawning in Spring. They thrash about in the grasses in the water near shore.

Ive seen some huge carp here at Deep Creek. In the Spring you can hear them from far away splashing in the water - and see there fins sticking out of the water (ideal time to stick em with a bow)

Potomac River is loaded with carp too.

Sv650

Mar 23, 2011
    Done it on the middle Potomac, lots of fun. We'd bait the area with canned corn for every time we visited an area with an abundance of carp.

If they didn't bite, they'd get the bow. Be patient, wait for the right shot. I've spooked more than my fair share of carp out of excitement.

Also practice shooting at a underwater target. The refraction from the water on the fish make you want to shoot high. Shoot low!

GOOD Luck

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I had never heard of this before I saw a Ram Dualie with PA plates driving up 83 about 2 hours ago advertising his services as a guide. Sounds like it could be a ton of fun.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My buddy sent me a few more pics today. As if the big carps are not enough he has an awesome view of Mt Rainer in the back drop.

He also sent me a link for a bow fishing forum that has some shoots around the MAryland area that are comming up.

Bowfishingcountry.com

jefffish.jpg
    [/IMG]

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    things to know: Don't shoot game fish, and make sure your rig is good. It's easiest to go buy one of the $30 fiberglass arrows at BPS...I think it has all you need, other than line and a bow. You'll probbaly want a whackin' hammer to kill whatever you arrow, since it will flop around angrilly for quite a while.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    we use to have a bow fishing tourtment on back river every year. Then a bunch of tree hugging ass clowns complained and the organizers shut it down.

It was great fun.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I used to go in smaller coves in the Bird River. I found a long bow or recurve worked better than a compound and learn to shoot instinctive. When carp pop up on the surface they don't stand long. I wasn't smooth or fast enough to make the quick shots with a compound. As soon as I switched to a recurve it was a blast. I used a spool not a reel. If you go with a spool set up wear gloves. A big carp cut three of my fingers to the bone taking off on me. That arrow doesn't take much fight out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom