Bought first shotgun, Rem. 870, plan to shoot birds and clays, what mods first?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    Hey guys, I've had a handgun and a rifle for a long time but finally got a pump shotgun. I went with one at walmart because they were the only ones that had the combo in stock and everyone else was $200 more for a similar gun.
    Mine is a 26" rib barrel, mossy oak camo, bead sight, 3.5 magnum with supercell butt pad. I put 50 rounds through it last weekend shooting clays and I love it.

I also looked at the 887 and I really liked the hi viz sight on the barrel, so i was thinking something along those lines would be the first modification. Its got a modified choke, which seems like a good all around choke, but for my intended use I'm not sure if I'd have better luck with a different one. What do you guys think?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I got a choke labeled as a skeet choke and hit a lot more pigeons than when using the modified. If youre shooting further distances a tighter choke like modified would probably serve you better.

I like the bead sight on mine and hate the fiber optic on one of my friends gun and I generally dont shoot skeet in low light or take the extra time to line up and notice the sights like I would on a rifle, its more of a point and shoot deal. I would leave the sights exactly as they are but thats just me.

hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    the skeet choke looks like its just a step down from a full choke... am I backward? I thought full or skeet choke gave you a tighter pattern that would be better for longer distances?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    the skeet choke looks like its just a step down from a full choke... am I backward? I thought full or skeet choke gave you a tighter pattern that would be better for longer distances?

skeet is looser than modified. Full is tighter than modified

chart.jpg

hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    Ok, I gotcha. Yeah looks like that would give me a bigger pattern and help bust some clays. What are people running for actually shooting ducks and fowl? Seems like you wouldn't want to just spray them with pellets but would actually want a somewhat concentrated pattern, no? Maybe improved cylinder or something?

hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    any reason not to buy a magazine extension for use on the range?

also, whats the deal with the extended chokes? I see both standard and extended. extended cost more.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I dont have a magazine extension on mine and have never used one but extra weight near the muzzel end of your gun will probably make you swing much slower, im pretty comfertable with 4+1 anyway and just keep shells in my pockets and load as I go.
    All these extended chokes seem to be a hunting thing. I only shoot skeet and dont hunt so im not really sure what the deal on those is.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC

also, whats the deal with the extended chokes? I see both standard and extended. extended cost more.

Check your range rules, mine only allows 2 cartridges loaded so no point in an extension.

Se you for chokes, I have a light modified extended on my Beretta semi auto. I think they look cool but no real advantage over flush. My 870 has flush choke. Just get out there and enjoy!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ok, I gotcha. Yeah looks like that would give me a bigger pattern and help bust some clays. What are people running for actually shooting ducks and fowl? Seems like you wouldn't want to just spray them with pellets but would actually want a somewhat concentrated pattern, no? Maybe improved cylinder or something?

Depends on how close the ducks will be coming to the decoys. Early season, I go with improved cylinder for ducks over decoys. After they have been shot up a little and flare easy, I start using modified or my Pattern Master tubes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

If you go to an actual range like PG Trap & Skeet, Loch Raven, etc., you are not supposed to have any rounds in the gun until you are up to shoot. Don't think I have ever had any use for more than 2 shells in the gun at any time since you only get a single shot per clay. Is there a specific reason for a mag extension, NOPE. Is there a specific reason why you would want one, NOPE.

Now, if you are talking about home defense or something to that effect, or snow goose hunting, then that is completely different than just shooting clays.

The extended chokes allow for the choke to be applied over a longer distance. Kind of like long forcing cones in the barrel. They reduce recoil and reduce the deformation of lead shot. Deformed lead shot tends to cause what are called "fliers". Fliers are pellets that fly out of the pattern and decrease the pattern density. This is because the deformed side of a pellet catches the air and it causes additional drag on the pellet versus a completely round pellet.

hasteranger

Jan 14, 2012
    West Virginia
    I've never been to a real range, the intimidation factor is pretty high for me. My friend has been inviting me to go though, so I may go with him sometime. My experience for shotguns has all been with a sit on clay launcher at my brothers or my friends house. You guys do raise good points. I'll be getting an extended skeet choke before I do much more clay shooting. when I got my gun walmart gander mtn and dicks all had tons of target loads... just in the past 2 weeks seems like its all dried up. I have 125 rounds so that will last me a while, but I do think the ammo grab is getting ridiculous. I heard the statement "I won't shoot my AR until I have another 10,000 rounds stockpiled" the other day, this from a guy who already has 2 stashes of 10k rounds each and 5 AR's. Oh well. The self imposed crisis will continue.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've never been to a real range, the intimidation factor is pretty high for me. My friend has been inviting me to go though, so I may go with him sometime. My experience for shotguns has all been with a sit on clay launcher at my brothers or my friends house. You guys do raise good points. I'll be getting an extended skeet choke before I do much more clay shooting. when I got my gun walmart gander mtn and dicks all had tons of target loads... just in the past 2 weeks seems like its all dried up. I have 125 rounds so that will last me a while, but I do think the ammo grab is getting ridiculous. I heard the statement "I won't shoot my AR until I have another 10,000 rounds stockpiled" the other day, this from a guy who already has 2 stashes of 10k rounds each and 5 AR's. Oh well. The self imposed crisis will continue.

Don't worry, the ammo and gun situation will eventually get better. If not, I will find some capital to open my own plant. The stocks of ammo and gun manufacturers has gone through the roof since Obama got elected. Might be some FabsRoman ammo labels out there if this stuff keeps up.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Skeet chokes are for close up shooting, skeet. Full chokes are for longer range shooting, trap. Hunting I would use modified or IM unless goose hunting , then FC That's the beauty of interchangeble chokes, lot of options. HD, skeet or cylinder bore.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    As previously stated check your range rules. Generally when shooting 'trap' you are only allowed one. The bolt should be back until it is your turn to shoot.

When using low power ammo for shooting skeet & trap, after 1K rounds or so, my 870 started to give me ejection issues. You are going to hear from folks who have never had ejection issues with 870's but believe me, I know from 1st hand. Located a solution from a gunsmith and slick as shit. Scroll down the page to "New Barrels" and check out the solution: http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

As for mods, I wanted the same features the 870 Police had, therefore I changed the following. Check out the write up on these features: http://www.aiptactical.com/How-To_Videos.html
    Extractor
    Safety Switch
    Carrier Dog Follower Spring
    Sear Spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads