• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    § 4-106. Bulletproof body armor - Wearing prohibited.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section and § 4-107 of this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Ammunition" means a cartridge, shell, or other device containing explosive or incendiary material designed and intended for use in a firearm.

(3) "Bulletproof body armor" means a material or object that is designed to cover or be worn on any part of the body to prevent, deflect, or slow down the penetration of ammunition.

(4) "Crime of violence" has the meaning stated in § 14-101 of this article.

(5) "Drug trafficking crime" has the meaning stated in § 5-621 of this article.

(6) "Firearm" includes:

(i) a handgun, antique firearm, rifle, shotgun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle as those terms are defined in § 4-201 of this title;

(ii) an assault pistol as defined in § 4-301 of this title;

(iii) a machine gun as defined in § 4-401 of this title; and

(iv) a regulated firearm as defined in § 5-101 of the Public Safety Article.

(7) "Secretary" means the Secretary of State Police or the Secretary's designee.

(b) Prohibited - Wearing in crime of violence.- A person may not wear bulletproof body armor in the commission of a crime of violence.

(c) Prohibited - Wearing in drug trafficking crime.- A person may not wear or possess bulletproof body armor during and in relation to a drug trafficking crime.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

(e) Sentencing.- A sentence imposed under this section may be separate from a sentence for any crime of violence or drug trafficking crime establishing the violation of this section.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 27A, 27B; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2003, ch. 17; 2005, ch. 25, § 13.]

AND

§ 4-107. Bulletproof body armor - Permit to use, possess, or purchase.

(a) Prohibited - Use, possession, or purchase without permit.- Except for a person holding a valid permit issued under subsection (c) of this section, a person who was previously convicted of a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime may not use, possess, or purchase bulletproof body armor.

(b) Permit - Petition.- A person with a prior conviction for a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime may file a petition with the Secretary for a permit to purchase, possess, and use bulletproof body armor.

(c) Same - Issuance.- On receiving a petition under subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary may issue to the petitioner a permit to purchase, possess, and use bulletproof body armor under the terms, conditions, and limitations that the Secretary sets as appropriate, based on a determination that the petitioner:

(1) is likely to use or possess bulletproof body armor in a safe and lawful manner; and

(2) has shown good cause for the use, possession, or purchase of bulletproof body armor.

(d) Same - Required considerations.- In making a determination under subsection (c) of this section with respect to a petitioner, the Secretary shall consider:

(1) the effect of the determination on the employment of the petitioner;

(2) the interests of justice;

(3) the safety of the petitioner;

(4) any other valid reason for the petitioner to purchase, possess, or use bulletproof body armor; and

(5) the totality of the circumstances.

(e) Same - Conditions.- As a condition of issuing a permit to a petitioner, the Secretary shall require that the petitioner agree to maintain in the person's possession a certified copy of the permit, including any terms, conditions, or limitations.

(f) Same - Duration and renewal.-

(1) A permit under this section expires 5 years after the date of its issuance.

(2) A permit shall be renewed for successive periods of 5 years if the applicant:

(i) files an application for renewal at any time within 3 months before the permit expires; and

(ii) satisfies the requirements of this section.

(g) Same - Revocation.- The Secretary may revoke a permit at any time if the Secretary finds that the holder no longer satisfies the qualifications set forth in subsection (c) of this section.

(h) Informal review.-

(1) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit has been rejected or whose permit has been revoked or limited may request the Secretary to conduct an informal review by filing a written request within 10 days after receiving written notice of the Secretary's initial action.

(2) The informal review may include a personal interview of the applicant.

(3) An informal review under this subsection is not subject to the Administrative Procedure Act.

(4) After the informal review, the Secretary shall sustain, reverse, or modify the initial action taken and notify the applicant of the decision in writing within 30 days after receiving the request for informal review.

(i) Contested case proceeding.-

(1) A person aggrieved by a decision of the Secretary may seek review of the decision under Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(2) A request for informal review under subsection (h) of this section is not a condition precedent to instituting a contested case proceeding under this subsection.

(j) Regulations.- The Secretary shall adopt regulations to carry out this section.

(k) Penalty.- A person who violates subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

Did a quick search of Balt. City Code (http://www.baltimorecity.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MPi1L3SPLTc=&tabid=159) and couldn't find any mention of "body armor." If someone wants to do a more thorough search than me, be my guest

There is NOT a law in Baltimore City prohibiting non felons from purchasing and or wearing body armor. If anyone can show us proof to the contrary, I will eat my words. "My uncle's neighbor's son is a cop and he said..." doesn't count. Show me the citation in the Baltimore City Code.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Who or what was spam? My post (over a month ago) was simply calling out anyone to actually show us the law they are so sure is on the books.

Relax, spammer. :D

It wasn't directed at you. A spambot posted in this thread and the post was subsequently deleted, so my "Spammer!" comment looks out of place.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    I'm glad I read all 4 pages, I was under the impression that you also had to have a permit issued by the MSP Czars, has anyone purchased any that are local or have they all been online purchases? Is there a store or site for gently used ones? FPS do you know if the Cop Shop is carrying and selling?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    My roommate bought one mailorder from Keep Shooting's website. I believe they followed up his online order with a phone call for some sort of extra ID; he gave them his C&R FFL ID# and they said that's more than enough to prove he's kosher. It showed up on the doorstep a few days later. I don't think there's any law requiring ID or anything to buy, but I guess the individual retailers have their own CYA policies.

EaglePro

Feb 19, 2011
    Body Armor

We are in Silver Spring and we will require a check from the local police department!

We are a distributor for Miguel Caballero products here in the area specializing in the Diplomatic Community.

see
    www.miguelcaballero.com

Eagle Pro Ware
    202-438-1150

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    We are in Silver Spring and we will require a check from the local police department!

We are a distributor for Miguel Caballero products here in the area specializing in the Diplomatic Community.

see
    www.miguelcaballero.com

Eagle Pro Ware
    202-438-1150

try registering as an industry partner, being this is your first post and your soliciting body armor.

BILGERATED

Feb 20, 2008
    Aberdeen
    The purchase and use of body armor is only restricted to people with felony convictions. If you have a felony, you need a permit. Any other law abiding citizen may own and wear armor. I must tell you, a vest is very uncomfortable, they do not breath so you will sweat....a lot. They are also heavy and do not bend easily. If you are considering getting a vest, here are two companys I would recomend.

Armor Shield USA
    http://armorshields.net/pages/
    This is the vest I have.
    http://armorshields.net/pages/light-tactical/panther/
    Galls Inc.
    http://www.galls.com/easearchresult.html?question=Body%20Armor&searchaction=1&path=All%20Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3DAll%20Products%20%3B%3B%20Venture%5Fid%3D503185%2F%2F%2F%2FGear%20%26%20Equipment&resultsperpage=20

I hope this helps.

DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    Galls is good to mention - I (civilian) bought a clearance vest from them about 2 years ago; they did not require any info beyond my credit card # and shipping address.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The purchase and use of body armor is only restricted to people with felony convictions. If you have a felony, you need a permit. Any other law abiding citizen may own and wear armor. I must tell you, a vest is very uncomfortable, they do not breath so you will sweat....a lot. They are also heavy and do not bend easily. If you are considering getting a vest, here are two companys I would recomend.

I hope this helps.

Try wearing one in summer while working with pizza ovens, no AC. After school, I worked delivering pizza. I got robbed once, changed places where I delivered and then found some body armor. Winter wasn't an issue, summer and humidity are killer. My back broke out with heat rash, which was painful. The answer was baby powder, cotton T shirt, then the vest and then a larger polo shirt. Yes, I made pizza when I wasn't in the car, so I stood in front of 500 degree ovens a lot.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co

Armor Shield USA
    http://armorshields.net/pages/
    This is the vest I have.
    http://armorshields.net/pages/light-tactical/panther/
    Galls Inc.
    http://www.galls.com/easearchresult.html?question=Body%20Armor&searchaction=1&path=All%20Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3DAll%20Products%20%3B%3B%20Venture%5Fid%3D503185%2F%2F%2F%2FGear%20%26%20Equipment&resultsperpage=20

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the links

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom