• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Any experienced boar hunters here? Anyone go within a couple states to do it? (PA, VA, WVA, NC, NJ)? Got a hankering to go, and looking for recommendations.
    Also, do you have to field clean them like deer before hauling them to a butcher?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Any experienced boar hunters here?
    There is a difference between what is running around here in the US and wild boars. What you have here is feral pigs, basically your houshold variant interbred with some real wild boars that were imported for hunting. They may look the part more or less but they definalely lack some traits, namely the aggression of their wild cousins. Also, they taste different...

Wild boar:
    800px-Young_wild_boar.jpg

feral pig:
    800px-Wild_Pig_KSC02pd0873.jpg

Also, do you have to field clean them like deer before hauling them to a butcher?
    You should field-dress every animal once you harvest it. The bacteria found in the interstines will have a chance to spoil the meat once you wait for too long.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Closest places I could find at good rates was just inside North Carolina. The second closest was West Virginia. It also depends on whether or not you want a free range hog or a fenced hunt. Make sure you find out the details. Sent lots of emails and ask lots of questions. Most of the offerings will also mail you brochures about their camps.

Here's a good one to start:
    http://www.mountainmeadowhunting.com

This is for you to jump on immediately in Virginia:
    False Cape State Park Hog Hunts (#604) 2011 - 2012 SEASON

Also, be sure to search for states that have free hog / board hunts.

Where you want to go is Michigan. http://sciboarhunter.com

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Wow, thanks for all the great information! :party29:
    Closest places I could find at good rates was just inside North Carolina. The second closest was West Virginia. It also depends on whether or not you want a free range hog or a fenced hunt. Make sure you find out the details. Sent lots of emails and ask lots of questions. Most of the offerings will also mail you brochures about their camps.

Here's a good one to start:
    http://www.mountainmeadowhunting.com

This is for you to jump on immediately in Virginia:
    False Cape State Park Hog Hunts (#604) 2011 - 2012 SEASON

Also, be sure to search for states that have free hog / board hunts.

Where you want to go is Michigan. http://sciboarhunter.com

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    This is a serious question - do boars, when butchered, have any bacon cuts in them?

I know domestic pigs are bred and raised to be unnaturally fat, something that wild animals would quickly lose through natural selection and harsh living conditions. Does this translate into no bacon?

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This is a serious question - do boars, when butchered, have any bacon cuts in them?

I know domestic pigs are bred and raised to be unnaturally fat, something that wild animals would quickly lose through natural selection and harsh living conditions. Does this translate into no bacon?

In my experience with Florida Russian Boar - technically there is the same cut of meat there, yes. But they are so lean that it isnt at all like the bacon you are thinking of.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I go to TX every year to hunt 'em. They field dress and butcher the same, but skinning is usually a little more difficult as the hide is thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom