• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Chevellnut and I just got back from an awesome boar hunt in Tioga PA.

We stayed at the Tioga Ranch for 2 days with 3 other friends. The hunting experience, the staff, the food, and the lodging were much better than we expected. Hopefully our crew of 5 will make this a yearly trip.

If your looking for a great guys weekend this is the place to go.

http://www.tiogaboarhunting.com/

Attachments

• BS Tioga sign.jpg
      BS Tioga sign.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 553
    • tioga sunrise.jpeg
      tioga sunrise.jpeg
      25.4 KB · Views: 508
    • tioga scenary.jpeg
      tioga scenary.jpeg
      48.3 KB · Views: 521
    • sean boar.jpg
      sean boar.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 568
    • brian boar.jpeg
      brian boar.jpeg
      83.1 KB · Views: 539

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    a few more pics of the lodge. We weren't roughing it, that's for sure!

Attachments

• chow.jpeg
      chow.jpeg
      44 KB · Views: 530
    • panorama.jpeg
      panorama.jpeg
      27.6 KB · Views: 507

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    This was my first time on a boar hunt and I have to say, they are some tough SOB's!!! I hit mine low in the shoulder with a 6.8 SPC using Federal Fusion ammo and it dropped in its tracks. Just as I slapped the guide a high five it jumped up an hobbled away after laying there motionless for 10-15 seconds...I was like WTF! I shot again and missed :o Then drove another round into its shoulder. They are fun to hunt but you better bring enough gun, or in Seans case enough ammo :innocent0

[YT]zcfmWj_7GJI[/YT]

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Just curious (and this is going to be a stupid question :D) but how do they keep from turning these hogs loose on PA? Lord knows they do enough destruction in the southwest, wouldn't want them loose up here.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Just curious (and this is going to be a stupid question :D) but how do they keep from turning these hogs loose on PA? Lord knows they do enough destruction in the southwest, wouldn't want them loose up here.

We asked the same question. All of the hogs are "inventoried" and logged with the state per a PA law. On top of that, all of the hogs are castrated in case they get loose.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Some friends of mine and I used to go near Tioga on weekend horseback trail rides. It is beautiful country up there. It looks like you had a great trip.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    This was my first time on a boar hunt and I have to say, they are some tough SOB's!!! I hit mine low in the shoulder with a 6.8 SPC using Federal Fusion ammo and it dropped in its tracks.
    Was it AR15 in 6.8SPC? I thought hunting with semi-auto rifles is prohibited in PA.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Are these things good to eat? I've heard they are not but it may depend on the species. I believe that in Europe, whatever version of wild boar they have, they are good to eat.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I heard you could not use semi-auto rifles for hunting in PA. Is that just for deer? And at what ranges are these boars shot? I'm thinking of doing this at some point since Tioga is so close versus going West.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Grew up in Pa., but haven't hunted there since I was a youngster. Didn't even know we had boar in Pa. Heard they were fun hunting.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Was it AR15 in 6.8SPC? I thought hunting with semi-auto rifles is prohibited in PA.

Yes it was a semi, and you are correct about PA state law. Since this was a game farm, you can hunt on Sunday with no license and use semi's. Not sure how it works but I guess it has something to do with there state permit. Believe me, we checked before bringing them up :thumbsup:

Are these things good to eat? I've heard they are not but it may depend on the species. I believe that in Europe, whatever version of wild boar they have, they are good to eat.

Heard the same thing. They cooked some up for us while we there and it was great. Maybe its the feral pigs in the south that are no good? Not sure.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm soooo jealous.
    I have parents in nearby Sayre, so a trip over there isn't out of the way at all :)

Didya stop at Clyde Peeling's Reptile Land? lol

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Private property. Outfitter. Different rules. Fences. There is a "game preserve" up that way...don't know if this is it.

Suggestion was made on a previous hog hunt thread of no less than 150 gr bullet to hunt hogs. They are some tough suckers. Their heart ain't where you think it is. It's lower.

They eat real good as long as they not get loaded up on testosterone. You'll know when you butcher them if you can eat them. They smell BAD if they've gotten testosteroned up. If the meat smells bad at butchering, it reeks when cooked. You'll be hard pressed to (ever) get that cooked bad pork smell out of your clothes or your house...

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I would love to do something like that and have a bunch of smoked ham and bacon as my souvenir to take home. How much yummy porcine goodness did you yield from your harvest?

Not sure yet. We had them quartered up there and dropped off the quarters at a butcher that I use for deer in Gettysburg. We had the back off a Tahoe jammed packed with coolers, so I'm guessing a lot :yummy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom