• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.
    Illegal 3rd term NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg (he convinced the council to let him run and set aside term limits voted by his constituents and exponentially outspent his rival, whom he barely beat) is taking his Mayors Against Illegal Guns effort to the next level, focusing on the non-existent "gun show loophole" and failing to mention that most homicides are committed by and of criminals in his effort to further restrict rights guaranteed by the second amendment.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/12/bloomberg.gun.laws/index.html?hpt=C2

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I read some of Bloomberg's stuff from time to time. His problem is that he thinks that the solution to people breaking the law is to enact more laws. So what would happen if he ever got his tougher nation-wide gun control laws? People would still break them and the people being violenced with these illegal guns would be less able to defend themselves. Sadly, he'll never see it that way.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Since when do we require a permit for purchase? WTF?

http://www.tracetheguns.org/#/states/MD/exports/

What an a-hole.

EDIT: Please hit refresh if you click the link above. I believe it loads some Flash media on your browser to show the details.

-OR-

Don't give this jerk the benefit of your web hit and trust me. :) It says we require a permit to purchase in MD which is a blatant lie.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Funny how Bloomberg can ignore little facts like MD exports more guns than TX per 100,000 people.

Yet Texas has 0 of the laws that Bloomberg advocates and Maryland has 8 of those laws.

Virginia has 4 of the laws and exports nearly 4 times the number of guns per 100,000 people that Texas does.

Then the disingenuous "time to crime" statistic...

They make it appear that x% of guns are involved in a crime within 2 years. The truth is that of guns that ARE recovered from crime scenes that x% were bought within 2 years. That is vastly different than the other way around!

Most telling is that despite draconian laws, NY, NJ, CT, MA, and other states cannot stop the influx of firearms any better than they can stem the flow of illegal drugs.

Let's look at the violent crime indexes of these "rogue" states where firearm ownership is uncomplicated... strange, the rates of violent crime are lower. I wonder why that is... what a tool Bloomberg is!

Mark

PS - So what's up with Wyoming and Arkansas???

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    The ATF has long identified gun shows as a leading source for traffickers.

Uh... Citation please. Most of the folks around here have seen that ATF report which clearly stated that about 2% of crime guns were traced back to a gun show purchase, making gun shows one of the least important sources of weapons used in crimes. Although there's no breakdown between "over the table through an FFL" sales and "face-to-face 'gun show loophole'" sales, we can pretty safely assume that at least a portion of those sales were conducted illegally by a straw purchaser rather than as a legal "loophole" sale. Therefore, it stands that closing the gun show loophole would, as an absolute best case scenario, reduce the supply of criminals' guns by less than 2%. This also assumes that the criminals in question wouldn't seek an alternative source of guns.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Since when do we require a permit for purchase? WTF?

http://www.tracetheguns.org/#/states/MD/exports/

What an a-hole.

EDIT: Please hit refresh if you click the link above. I believe it loads some Flash media on your browser to show the details.

-OR-

Don't give this jerk the benefit of your web hit and trust me. :) It says we require a permit to purchase in MD which is a blatant lie.

Well, if someone were to construe the mandatory safety course for all regulated firearms, which consisted of me watching a video online, as a permit, then they would be correct.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Well, if someone were to construe the mandatory safety course for all regulated firearms, which consisted of me watching a video online, as a permit, then they would be correct.

I hear what you are saying, but disagree. FOID cards, NY permits to purchase are much different than completing "safety training." The certificate you get from a dealer (or online now, I guess) isn't a permit of any kind or form, it simply states you met that requirement of the law... has nothing to do with purchasing a firearm.

However, all of these things are just feel good laws - criminals, by definition, don't follow the law... but us honest folk have all this red tape. It boggles my mind.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I never got a "permit" to purchase a pistol in MD, unless you count the Form 77 as a permit... Never had a safety course, just whipped out my Mil ID and that was good enough.

So I want to know how all these laws prevent criminals from getting guns, because I am quite sure that if I were a criminal that I could be armed better than most citizens with less than $500 and a few hours of time.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom