• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If your AK has rails, you should have no problems installing one. I looked at a couple when they first came out, the legs seem a little flimsy to me.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I see what you did there.. lol.. It should be obvious ive spent time looking at them since ive posted links.. and that I asked for peoples opinions on pros and cons/ things they like or dislike about different types of them

it was also obvious you specifically asked him to post links about the grip pod. to which i directed you. so pull your panties outta your crack and learn for yourself instead of expecting people to spoon-feed that to which you think you're entitled.

you know....do the work instead of wanting others to do it for you? :innocent0

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Attachments

• tmp_pimptastic 10-22248206668.jpg
      tmp_pimptastic 10-22248206668.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 336
    • tmp_IMG_20130927_110154_014-819092236.jpg
      tmp_IMG_20130927_110154_014-819092236.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 335

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    here's a link.

i've got a few that were issued in AFG. decent set-up, as long as you don't need height adjustability.

Pretty cool transition from suggesting the OP learn to Google and yet still providing the info he requested. Would love to learn how to do that as I have wanted to do the same so many times before.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    I was un aware when he said grip pod it was a specific item (which I admit looking back the letters were capitalized) I thought he was just saying he had a bipod foregrip and likes it...

You dont have to act like an *******.

Btw.. thanks for the pics.. your guns look fun to shoot

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    gripod.JPG
    I had one a while back....still do. I don't really use it anymore. It is a compromise tool. It's not as good as a dedicated bipod, and it's not as good as a dedicated hand grip like a afg, stubby grip, or hand-stop. If you're going to be using a AK for more running/gunning stuff, it sticks out pretty far down and is just not as comfortable or as handy as an AFG. If I'm going to have an AFG on the rifle for those tasks, I want to practice shooting with that and creating stability out of shooting position or creating rests from things like sand-bags, rolled up jackets, or whatever other rest-stuff is handy.

If I want to do more bench shooting or shooting from prone, a standalone bypod is going to be much more useful....especially if it pivots so you can level the gun off. To mount a bipod on the rail, many companies offer sections that clamp to the rail and have a swivel on them. Or you could just get a bipod made to attach to a rail.

So personally, they're nifty as a compromise thing but you have to be realistic about the sacrifices it has by trying to be two things instead of specialized as one. If you're doing mostly bench shooting, get a normal bipod and enjoy. If you're concerned more for shooting on the move/defensive stuff, you'd probably be better served with a grip for that type of application.

Hope this helps without the drama of yelling at you for asking a question.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    View attachment 99140
    I had one a while back....still do. I don't really use it anymore. It is a compromise tool. It's not as good as a dedicated bipod, and it's not as good as a dedicated hand grip like a afg, stubby grip, or hand-stop. If you're going to be using a AK for more running/gunning stuff, it sticks out pretty far down and is just not as comfortable or as handy as an AFG. If I'm going to have an AFG on the rifle for those tasks, I want to practice shooting with that and creating stability out of shooting position or creating rests from things like sand-bags, rolled up jackets, or whatever other rest-stuff is handy.

If I want to do more bench shooting or shooting from prone, a standalone bypod is going to be much more useful....especially if it pivots so you can level the gun off. To mount a bipod on the rail, many companies offer sections that clamp to the rail and have a swivel on them. Or you could just get a bipod made to attach to a rail.

So personally, they're nifty as a compromise thing but you have to be realistic about the sacrifices it has by trying to be two things instead of specialized as one. If you're doing mostly bench shooting, get a normal bipod and enjoy. If you're concerned more for shooting on the move/defensive stuff, you'd probably be better served with a grip for that type of application.

It actually id helpful.. and I do appreciate it with out all the drama and yelling.. thank you very much.. I didnt think so much about it hindering standup/carry use.. I just wanted assistance in steady shooting.. definitely something to consider. . Thank you for your input

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    View attachment 99140

Excellent summary. I opted for the combo grip/bipod for my AR. It is fine for plinking and punching holes, but for competition I too would opt for a dedicated bipod. I'm just not that seriously into it though, so for my purposes the combo works fine. In bipod mode, it is a little wobbly but stable enough for my purposes. In grip mode, no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TDCST6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i hate them...their way to big to be a good vert grip, and not adjustable at all to be a good bipod...

what makes it worse is where you would want a bipod and where you would want a grip are also two different areas of the handguard...so yet again, combining both just makes a bad situation

get a decent grip, then get a decent bipod and good qd mount...problem solved, and you get the best of both worlds

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    what makes it worse is where you would want a bipod and where you would want a grip are also two different areas of the handguard...so yet again, combining both just makes a bad situation

Each to his own, but I discovered there are two knobs that loosen/tighten the grip/bipod to my rail. By turning them counter clockwise, moving the grip, and then counterclockwise to tighten them I find I can have it in one location for bipod activity and one position for grip activity. I can't imagine a scenario where I would need to do both activities at once. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom