• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    12 year old's first gun, doesn't have a swivel stud though. Should I drill hole in the stock and screw one in there or go with a barrel mount? It's a $100 gun, so not planning to spend much, just want something that'll be functional for a dozen or 2 times a year. Any suggestions?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Will he be shooting from a bench/prone? If so, I'd recommend using sandbags before messing with the stock. Avoid barrel mounted ones as they affect accuracy.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    12 year old's first gun, doesn't have a swivel stud though. Should I drill hole in the stock and screw one in there or go with a barrel mount? It's a $100 gun, so not planning to spend much, just want something that'll be functional for a dozen or 2 times a year. Any suggestions?

Geepers, How is your kid supposed to march around with his rifle without a sling.?

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    Will he be shooting from a bench/prone? If so, I'd recommend using sandbags before messing with the stock. Avoid barrel mounted ones as they affect accuracy.

mostly a bench, but maybe some prone, no serious shoots, just for fun and learning, no scope yet either...

How does a barrel mount bipod affect accuracy though?

MXSteve89

Nov 12, 2012
    I bought one of the black hawk ones at Walmart and just drilled the stock for mine. Works great, put a little loctite on and have had no issues yet!

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    The barrel rests in the stock for a reason. When a shot is fired it will flex and jolt and affect where the round lands.

A barrel mount bi-bod puts the pressure on the barrel instead of the stock and can affect accuracy by throwing off the barrels harmonics. Not a ton, for a kids gun, with no scope, probably at short distance I don't see a huge problem with it.

I've got a 702 myself and I use this guy.
    http://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-BP70-S...qid=1366388577&sr=1-2&keywords=clamp+on+bipod

Nothing fancy but it works better than shooting off hand. When I wanted a nice bipod I bought a 10/22 and upgraded my bipod.

A cheap and easy bipod for a cheap and easy rifle.

akkiller

live free or die
    Jan 10, 2011
    walkersville
    I got the same one for my son for x-miss I drill holes and install studs and we gave it a textured paint job and put a scope into as well I get it for him and I as a project gun

Attachments

• 20130402_164523.jpg
      20130402_164523.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 1,856

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    amazon has some great cheap bipods... you could attach a swivel stud and mount a $20 utg bipod on it or they have clamp on bipods that work with .22s well for $20 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom