• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I think I can fix most of it, it doesn't look that hard. it is just getting it aliened right will be the hard part it shouldnt be but a 15 minute and 2 beer job

Most Derailleur setups have multiple adjustment points in tensioning spring screws and in the cable length tension.

Get it installed as close as you can figure and make fine tuning ajustments after as he test rides it.

you're right..about two beers.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    You should be able to do the job yourself if it's just a derailleur. Go online if you can't find the derailleur locally and order one. It shouldn't cost much if the bike was a $200 Dick's special, I'd guess $15-$20. Then go to the library and check out "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" IMHO one of the best books for how to maintain and repair a bike. It will do a great job of walking you through replacement and adjustment. When I had more hair and better eyes, I rode mountain bikes a bit. Did all my own maintenance. If you need help, I'd be happy to lend you a hand.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Check out Mike's Bikes in Great MIlls, MD.

+1 for Mike's Bikes. He's a very good guy, and hires a lot of local kids to give them a start as mechanics.

He also personally runs a holiday food drive every year in St. Mary's for local families that can't afford a good meal. :thumbsup:

I've had a couple of bikes repaired by him and he did good work. Reasonably priced as well, and won't turn away work because you didn't buy the bike from him.

In fairness, I've also had excellent work done by the Bike Doctor in Waldorf. Not cheap, but top notch work done on an older bike.

Wiley-X

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 25, 2011
    This sounds like a liability issue, similar to the car repair shops that won't let you off the yard without getting deficient brakes fixed, even if you came in for an ignition issue.

I've never run across that and if I ever did, they'd have a serious problem.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I've never run across that and if I ever did, they'd have a serious problem.

I have I went to a jiffy oil change place and they tried to get me for everything including a new air filter, they started back peddling when I showed them the receipt for the new air filter that I just put in before I took in in to them.

I took my truck to another place and told them to do nothing but an oil change and put that on the sheet. They came out to me saying I need this and that and it would end up being $100. I looked at the manager and said what part of oil change only and nothing else did he not understand. he said but he already trew my air filter in the trash and it was no good. I walked out there with a free new air filter but had to fight for it.

So when a company tells me they have to do everything or nothing I am very lery and tend to run away from that company.

CDCRANE

Apr 18, 2011
    patuxent river
    If you haven't fixed the bike yet, PM me and I can help out with your bicycle. I periodically help out at serge performance cycles on great mills and can recommend any parts needed and help you with labor for no charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom