• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Anyone know anything about them? I know they are .22 LR but what kind of sights are they using? Are they using optics or irons?

Also, do they all come from the same manufacture or are there a few manufactures that make them? What's the average cost?

I don't know how big the target is they're shooting at but I can't imagine shooting at a 12" by 12" target offhand after skiing for a few miles.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    from wiki

The biathlete carries the small bore rifle, which weighs at least 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), excluding ammunition and magazines. The rifles use .22 LR ammunition and are bolt action or Fortner (straight-pull bolt) action.

The target range shooting distance is 50 metres (160 ft). There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 millimetres (1.8 in), when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 millimetres (4.5 in). On all modern biathlon ranges, the targets are self-indicating, in that they flip from black to white when hit, giving the biathlete as well as the spectators instant visual feedback for each shot fired.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I'd imagine that the iron sight on these rifles are peep sights where the rear aperture and the front insert appear as concentric rings with the down range target forming the inner most ring. My daughter shoots air rifle and smallbore competitions and the sights on both of her rifles are peep sights. Amazing the scores one can shoot with these sights.

---
    Shamr0ck

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Check the Anschutz website. Probably what most are using. Feinwerkbau and Walther(?) make 5-shot biathlon models too I think. Most everyone who makes a top-tier target gun makes a specialty 5-shot mag model.

Using peep sights. Modern target peep sights cost $500+ by themselves. Go look up Centra as an example. Biathlon version have cool flip covers to keep snow out:thumbsup:

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Biathlon rifles are something I never had a good handle on. The need for accuracy isn't as high as for normal small bore, so I assumed the things that mattered were comfort while carrying it, weight, and balance. But then of course the top competitors aren't going to skimp on accuracy, whether or not they need it, so they have the best Lothar Walther barrels, ammo matched to said barrel by lot, etc.

European competition guns are a hole you just keep dumping money into. Forget about the diopters and mags--every little thing is absurdly expensive, including extra screws and mounts and the like.

And that's just the rifle. The skiing equipment is probably another black hole.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Biathlon rifles are something I never had a good handle on. The need for accuracy isn't as high as for normal small bore, so I assumed the things that mattered were comfort while carrying it, weight, and balance. But then of course the top competitors aren't going to skimp on accuracy, whether or not they need it, so they have the best Lothar Walther barrels, ammo matched to said barrel by lot, etc.

European competition guns are a hole you just keep dumping money into. Forget about the diopters and mags--every little thing is absurdly expensive, including extra screws and mounts and the like.

And that's just the rifle. The skiing equipment is probably another black hole.

Thank the lord I'm not in shape enough to even try Biathlon. I don't need another hole to sink money into.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I can watch a 1/2 biathlon without getting too exhausted. Would have to train a lot before I could watch a 10K, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just to get the feel of Biathlon try running or mountain biking between shooting stages. Hard to shoot well when your breathing and heart rate are elevated.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Anschutz probably the first and Walthers 2nd. Iron sites for sure. Go to the fimfirecentral.com forums for a lot of info. Most people would be well served by by a nice CZ(poor man's Anschutz) with BRNO peep sites(a little over $100). BRNO peeps are as accurate as a scope at 50 yards for most people. Until you use them you have no idea what you are missing.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Anschutz probably the first and Walthers 2nd. Iron sites for sure. Go to the fimfirecentral.com forums for a lot of info. Most people would be well served by by a nice CZ(poor man's Anschutz) with BRNO peep sites(a little over $100). BRNO peeps are as accurate as a scope at 50 yards for most people. Until you use them you have no idea what you are missing.

I love the CZ rifles. I admit that I have CZitis... Here is what my daughter is shooting at our local 4H small bore. It is a CZ452 Trainer in a Klinsky stock set up with Brno peeps.

Attachments

• CZ Trainer 4H Rifle R.jpg
      CZ Trainer 4H Rifle R.jpg
      20.7 KB · Views: 350

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I love the CZ rifles. I admit that I have CZitis... Here is what my daughter is shooting at our local 4H small bore. It is a CZ452 Trainer in a Klinsky stock set up with Brno peeps.

I have the same set up. Did you get the stock and peeps from Denny? I have a BRNO #4 in the same rig. Buying an Anschutz at my age and ability would be a waste of money. Sounds like you may spend a little time on RFC.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 4.5" targets are the same I shot on in the Masters Tournament, at both 25 and 50 meters. The black bull on white foreground using black sights gives a great sight picture. I had a 22 which used double aperture sights. Get the aperture sized right and you can get scope like accuracy.

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Just to get the feel of Biathlon try running or mountain biking between shooting stages. Hard to shoot well when your breathing and heart rate are elevated.
    I read once that these folks are able to drop their heart rate from over 160 to 70 in the time it takes to unlimber their rifles...even if that is a bit of exaggeration, that is pretty amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom