• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County
    The Hornady company has become an importer of ammo made by others, and now there is something wrong with how they label and sell the “Match(TM)” ammo. I have purchased “Hornady Match” in 7.62x54 Russian (their stock number 80518) before and it was great stuff in reloadable brass cases which were “carefully hand picked.” I have also purchased Hornady's “Steel Match” ammo which was good and also inexpensive, and there was little doubt that this “Steel Match” ammo was made overseas, but Hornady did not try to pass the “Steel Match” ammo off as US made or as reloadable brass. Today I received my most recent order of Hornady's “Match” #80518 in the same boxes as before and the vendor Able Ammo's web site assured me that the cases were still “carefully hand picked.” Sadly, this ammo is now also steel case ammo, and is not reloadable. Hornady's packaging is confusing. I could have purchased “Steel Match” but did not. Perhaps Hornady's offshore supplier “carefully hand picked” the steel cases? The Able Ammo customer service rep blamed Hornady for the secret switch from brass to steel cases and then said they would refund the purchase price if I returned it to them at my own expense, provided the ammo arrived there in good order... In the future, I'll avoid “Hornady Match” ammo, because there is no way to know what I'll receive, and I can buy good ammo from offshore makers in brass and steel cases and NOT pay Hornady's premium prices.

Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County

I wish Able Ammo (my source) referred to this online Hornady material (which does clearly explain what you are now buying with the old catalog number, 80518) instead of relying on Hornady's catalog number and the blurb I quoted. These "carefully hand picked" steel cases are more difficult to extract, BTW, in case you are comparing this ammo to the just discontinued brass-case Match ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have used Hornady Steel Match 9mm ammo, it's great stuff. The case is steel, but the bullet is made by Hornady. I just wish someone local to me would stock it more often. I have not tried their "Match" 7.62x54R ammo, I buy PPU Match 7.62x54R ammo. It's $17/20 last time I looked. And the brass is reloadable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom