• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I was discussing the M14 vs. M16 with a friend the other day, and the conversation inevitably shifted to the civilian market, and "when the shit hits the fan, I'd much rather have....."

I won't go into which option I supported, but I will tell you that we live in a suburban environment, within a half day's walk of Baltimore, or half a day's walk from the countryside of northern MD.

What do ya'll think?

The obvious virtues of the M1A are penetration, range (debatable, depending on the set-up), "knockdown power," and accuracy (which is debatable, depending on your configuration). The obvious virtues of the AR are rate of fire, and portability (if the AR is a carbine).

For the purposes of this discussion, the AR in question would be an M4gery, and the M1A would be a standard sized rifle, not the scout, bush or SOCOM configurations.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have both.

But if I had to grab one and go, my 14.5" SBR would be the one. I can carry 300+ rounds easily, chances are you wouldn't need that much, but that's not a chance I'll take. Ten 30rd PMags with Q3131 and eight 20 rd P Mags with 75gr TAP should be enough. I Hope!

My M1A currently has a Aim Point on it and has proven to be a very reliable gun. But the weight of the mags and rifle and well as size difference (ease of concealing/hiding) might be draw backs.

In a perfect would I'd throw the M1A, 14.5", 11.5" and 20 " AR into the Jeep along with ammo for each. Maybe that will be the case, maybe not. But I'm working of having all the ammo packaged up and ready to go in easily grabed & portable set ups.

Just waiting on Michigan Tactical to come out with the 308 Battleers, and the 30rd AR Battleers to complete the set ups!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    For most scenarios I can think of, in a suburban post-SHTF environment I would pick an M4gery over an M1A. Lighter, smaller, ammo is lighter and more compact.

Might be a good idea for a poll - I wouldn't discount the AK either, though.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    as much as I like my 7.62 NATO, I'd give the nod to the AR for portability of ammo, easy of repair and maintenance, and availability of parts.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Why - do you think the squirrels will form up into gangs and go pillaging? :D

if your plan is to get into firefights you might as well just shoot yourself.

if it hits the fan, I'm going backwoods and survival.

I'll take 10x the ammo any day when I don't know when I'll be able to restock if ever.

Not to mention a .22lr will kill a man, may take a few, but it will do it.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Ironically, the overwhelming majority of murders in Baltimore City committed with firearms are done with calibers smaller than .38 or 9mm.

.22lr, .25, and .32 are the most common.

I still think I'd rather have something with a little more likelihood of putting the bad guys down in one.

I'm pro-AR, but the M1A is not to be discounted. I think it would be more versatile, should you make it into the countryside and have a need to hunt for your food.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    definitely an AR, with heavy loads, something around 70gr, It will also take most of the wildlife in the area, now if we were out west, I might change my mind. A suppressed 22 would also be high on the list, hard to beat for filling the cooler with critters.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I know Maryland is AR Country, but I'll be the dissenting voice and take an M1A loaded with 20 rounds of AP ammo. Both guns are reliable, but I'll give the nod to the M1A. In the event the zombies attack, I'm guessing they don't like to be shot and tend to hide behind things. The M1A with a magazine of AP ammo will slice through whatever you need it to to reach its intended target. I like the two stage trigger on the M1A better as well. When tuned by a smith that knows what they are doing, it is a work of art. Maintenance on the M1A is easier as well. Cleaning the bolt group on an AR is a pain in the ass, but then again the AR doesn't need to be as squeaky clean as some of its detractors claim either.

I like the AR and one of them often follows me to the range, but with the M1A I don't have to worry about what the latest flavor is in magazine followers, magazines, or extractor upgrades. Is it the green, gray, or black followers that are the preferred setup now? Or is it the P-Mags? :toothless

The M1A just plain works, with or without proper lubrication, and does it while needing little maintenance. While I'll concede it isn't as easy a platform to work on as the AR, there isn't much to go wrong with it either. The M1A is like most self loading military rifles, if you were to pack spare trigger group components, extractor and spring, ejector and spring, and bolt stop, you would have all the parts you would need to keep your rifle running in the unlikely event something broke. Honestly though, if you fired enough rounds that breakage would be a problem in any rifle, you'd probably be dead anyway.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Both rifles have proved their worth, and will work just fine.

Attachments

• DSCN0251.jpg
      DSCN0251.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 761

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    As I've said, I'm pro-AR, but I can also appreciate the M1A.

I personally believe that the M1A is the better rifle for a more rural setting, while the AR is better in a more urban setting.

So, given this hypothesis, and the fact that I would plan to stick around the outskirts of the suburbs in order to loot/scavenge, at least until I learn to be totally self-sufficient, I think I would go with the AR for its manueverability, lightweight, and availability of ammo.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Scout Rifle - Light, Bolt Action, EER Scope, Magazine fed in .308 or .30-06,

SHTF you are going to go defensive to protect the family and keep them safe. Prefer the long range stand off of both rounds since you're probably going to be sniping the ghouls and gremlins to disperse them if they get too close to your hideout hole. Both rounds are good for any local "big game" (deer, cows, etc..)if you need fresh meat.

Both easy to reload or there should be plenty available considering you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some store or person that sells or has both rounds. Should be able to trade, barter or steal(loot) some rounds when you come across a supply.

For small game like rabbits and squirrels, I would use snares and traps and not the 22LR so not to alert anybody to my presence and to conserve ammo for real emergencies.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    I'm making my way toward a Garand in 30-06 (ammo availability) and a Tanker Garand/BM59 in 308 for when the 308 comes back on the market. Add a .22 revolver or semi-auto handgun, and a 1911, and I figure I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom