• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Colt? I've had personal experience with them. There CS was nearly up there with inadequate.

Ruger? A few minutes on the phone and an order for a replacement part was on the way. (Original worn)
    Part arrived ...
    Wrong part.
    Next a phone call and an email to the management level person with pictures... They shipped the whole assembly to me. (Not just the one part.) Free. I call that great service.

RIA? Issue with a used pistol... (I bought it from the second owner.) About twenty minutes on the phone with an RIA/Armscor Smith...
    • I had a return authorization and shipping label in my email in box.
    • Pistol boxed up with mags and shipped overnight on their dime to Nevada.
    Sent out - Fri at 1:40PM
    Received at Armscor - Sat at 9:00AM
    Issue resolved and back in hand the following - Thu at 6:00PM

• New springs installed
    • Feed ramp recut to new specs and polished
    • Chamber throat chamfered and polished
    • Rockwell hardness tested frame
    • Test fired

Total cost to me for shipping and all work = $0.00

RIA/Armscor knows how to treat their customers...

This is very helpful to a buyer getting his/her first 1911. This plays a big role in overall quality :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had seen the same reviews of the CS at Colt, so I steered clear. It's nice to see certain companies stand behind their products while disappointing to see that some do not.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - how about the RIA 1911, Tactical, .45ACP, 5", VZ Grips; about $667. Pic below. I like the sights, the serrated front slide, and the grips.

Attachments

• ebd48a649a1ab47b575b3ffb8fde8192.jpg
      ebd48a649a1ab47b575b3ffb8fde8192.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 391

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the the prospective buyer knows enough to know how they prefer a 1911 to be set up, it is most cost effective to get one already in that configuration. But there isn't a standard answer as to what is "better'. Trigger length, mainspring housing and grip safety choices depend on hand shapes and sizes, and personal preferences.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Ok - how about the RIA 1911, Tactical, .45ACP, 5", VZ Grips; about $667. Pic below. I like the sights, the serrated front slide, and the grips.

That would be a heck of a deal. That's a whole lot of features for the price. That pistol does look like it will be heavy due to the full length type rail.

I'd wait for other to chime in on that rail.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If the the prospective buyer knows enough to know how they prefer a 1911 to be set up, it is most cost effective to get one already in that configuration. But there isn't a standard answer as to what is "better'. Trigger length, mainspring housing and grip safety choices depend on hand shapes and sizes, and personal preferences.

Fair enough. A lot of this is subjective.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I thought RIA 1911s had a different sight cut than novaks or other standard 1911 sights. I'm not sure if anyone else cares about that, or if it's still true.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I think it actually says "Novak - style" which is the contentious bit. I could be wrong like I said earlier, though.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    My opinion, after buying a gun recommended by Chad, is to purchase a gun that will not kill you on the resale, if you don't plan on keeping it. Had I to do it all over again, I'd go with a Colt, because they seem to hold their value better than the clones. I'll be taking a solid $400+ hit on the S&W I purchased.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

So true. With its popularity and customization the 1911 has become a pistol with several basic configurations. Unfortunately, it takes some investigation and shooting several models to know what one likes. With the 1911 there are at least five different profiles in the grip area that will fit different sized hands differently. Throw in some subtle differences and you have quite a number of factors to choose from. I have acquired that knowledge for myself simply because I built several, modifying a few of those along the way and finally found the configuration which works well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That would be a heck of a deal. That's a whole lot of features for the price. That pistol does look like it will be heavy due to the full length type rail.

I'd wait for other to chime in on that rail.

I have two railed 1911's and like the weight of the rail. I did handle one Springfield full length railed Operator and liked the feel. The full length rail is on my short list of pistols to acquire/build.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    My opinion, after buying a gun recommended by Chad, is to purchase a gun that will not kill you on the resale, if you don't plan on keeping it. Had I to do it all over again, I'd go with a Colt, because they seem to hold their value better than the clones. I'll be taking a solid $400+ hit on the S&W I purchased.

Truth to this. But even a Colt will take some hit. I'm not sure a $650ish RIA will take that large of a hit. Maybe $50 and $100 at the most. Because there are alot more people that can afford a gun within this resale range than at near $1000.

I will keep my American Classic Commander forever. It is just nice except for my preference for solid trigger and hollowed hammer. Infact, this 1911 is getting a new solid trigger and one other mod done by a smith and it'll still be half the cost of the two colt 1911 70 series I've got. Though I still have to dremel that hammer...myself.

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    I have two railed 1911's and like the weight of the rail. I did handle one Springfield full length railed Operator and liked the feel. The full length rail is on my short list of pistols to acquire/build.

Are we talking the Colt Rail Gun type rails or a full-length dustcover type rail? The full-length ones always look so bulky and heavy to me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah, the old debate ;

No Name, but good shooting pistol gives good bang for $

Vs

Iconic Brand Name gives best resale value.

Alas both statements are true, so no universal answer. But it is useful context for the prospective buyer to consider. Do you WANT a good shooting pistol with modest outlay ? Or WANT an Icon to turn over later ? Either can be valid, just know which you prefer.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am now leaning toward either the Ruger SR1911 or a Remington R1; each in stainless steel. Of course if I get lucky and find a good used Colt, all bets are off. Not that RIA is bad - just think Ruger or Remington is better.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I am now leaning toward either the Ruger SR1911 or a Remington R1; each in stainless steel. Of course if I get lucky and find a good used Colt, all bets are off. Not that RIA is bad - just think Ruger or Remington is better.

Between Ruger and Remington, I'd get the Ruger for sure. It's a Series 70 and you get the Ruger warranty.

- Former Remington R1 Stainless Owner, current RIA owner.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Truth to this. But even a Colt will take some hit. I'm not sure a $650ish RIA will take that large of a hit. Maybe $50 and $100 at the most. Because there are alot more people that can afford a gun within this resale range than at near $1000.

I will keep my American Classic Commander forever. It is just nice except for my preference for solid trigger and hollowed hammer. Infact, this 1911 is getting a new solid trigger and one other mod done by a smith and it'll still be half the cost of the two colt 1911 70 series I've got. Though I still have to dremel that hammer...myself.

I have heard good things about the American Classic. I could see going the inexpensive route, with one of those, too.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Ruger over Remington here as well. Warranty, customer service and company practices are better. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom