• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Dont get an aftermarket barrel for suppressor use. Use a FACTORY HK, SIG, or Glock FACTORY Threaded Barrel with a Suppressor and youll have less headaches and reliability issues, especially after the host gets dirty and warm.

What sort of reliability issues have you encountered? Anything in particular one should be wary about? Anything to check? I ask because I have been running three new threaded storm lake barrels for the last two months with pretty good results... in fact, on a M&P9, I've experienced better accuracy compared to the factory threaded barrel I have. On the few barrel's I have, dimensions and fitment seemed to be spot on.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What sort of reliability issues have you encountered? Anything in particular one should be wary about? Anything to check? I ask because I have been running three new threaded storm lake barrels for the last two months with pretty good results... in fact, on a M&P9, I've experienced better accuracy compared to the factory threaded barrel I have. On the few barrel's I have, dimensions and fitment seemed to be spot on.

Aftermarket Barrels IF they fit properly do often enhance the accuracy, but they often have a shorter service life and are often softer than some factory build barrels. If not fit properly you can see Slide Damage, Extractor Damage, Locking Block Damage, and Recoil Assembly Damage.

Other downsides to aftermarket barrels include tighter chambers wich can lead to extraction and chambering issues if the gun gets hot/warm/fouled.

For a range gun/paper puncher my points mean little to most (95% of all gun owners), but for people that use their guns hard or may use them in a defensive application they should consider factory barrels, especially with a suppressor mounted.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad nailed it and I completely agree as my above post shows. Stick to a factory threaded barrel. Factory threaded barrels can be had for all the above listed hosts. I should know as I also have them.

As for cycling issues when using a host with a new recoil spring, I have not experienced any issues. This includes my G19, USP9SD, and P226. It was also not an issue when I had my M&P9 and G17. All the hosts functioned perfectly with my suppressors with no break-in required.

I highly suggest both the Silencerco Osprey9 and the SWR Octane9 HD. They are fantastic suppressors. I never go to the range without them.

Its nice to see simlilar findings. :thumbsup::)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The gold standard for reliability has been the Beretta 92. Those work great suppressed.

That being said, I'd strongly recommend a good .22 host first. Never undervalue a good .22 pistol.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Aftermarket Barrels IF they fit properly do often enhance the accuracy, but they often have a shorter service life and are often softer than some factory build barrels. If not fit properly you can see Slide Damage, Extractor Damage, Locking Block Damage, and Recoil Assembly Damage.

Other downsides to aftermarket barrels include tighter chambers wich can lead to extraction and chambering issues if the gun gets hot/warm/fouled.

For a range gun/paper puncher my points mean little to most (95% of all gun owners), but for people that use their guns hard or may use them in a defensive application they should consider factory barrels, especially with a suppressor mounted.

I agree 100% based on my own experience. I had a Jarvis barrel made for the intended gun, and I purchased it for the full chamber support. They make some of the finest barrels and are very well respected. It gave exceptional performance. But still, it was not quite as reliable as OEM...and I had the exact issue you noted. When it got exceptionally hot and fouled, it had extraction issues here and there...which on paper also makes sense due to the chamber/tighter tolerances. There are tons of threads on aftermarket barrels from lesser makers causing nightmare scenarios...which is very similar to some of the aftermarket mags made for Sigs and H&Ks. It seems the barrel is such an integrated part that is really pays to use the barrel the manufacturer has engineered to work specifically with that very gun. I'd buy another Jarvis, but not for a firearm I would intend to use for self defense, and not for my USP9SD in which I can shoot 500 rounds in a single session (hence the worry of excessive fouling causing the shell casing to create more resistance than the extractor is made to handle).

My liking of the 226 and USP9SD is that Sig and H&K are testing those guns at the factory with that exact configuration before shipping, and they have people who know every inch of those guns who ensure all parts are well-mated and work together. It would be hard to achieve this with aftermarket IMO.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    I decided I wanted to be able to suppress it so I sent out for a threaded barrel, but all I could get was a barrel from a USP tactical. It still works fine, but protrudes a bit past the slide about a quarter inch before the threading starts. Doesn't bother me since the .45 acp can use that extra length to get up to speed, since even .45 super doesn't break the sound barrier.

With a TiRant mounted, that extra length keeps it from nuzzling the front of the slide, and ESPECIALLY when using the KAC quick detach mounts for the KAC suppressor. Another nice ability aside from extra length is the ability to add an o-ring into the mix to improve lockup.

I added the Match Trigger to my USP plus raised Heinie Straight Eight suppressor sights (the OEM ones are love/hate and I fall into the latter). I'm planning to add the ambi safety and extended mag release shortly. I've only shot this model with one can, but it did fine with 147 and 158. I've shot USPs in 9, .40, and .45...all functioned fine, and that's business as usual as the USP is known for not being can-picky. I'm planning to get a Ti-Rant. There are a lot of good guns on the market, but the USP and it's younger siblings that use the USP platform (P2000 and P30) is one of the finest and possibly the finest service-grade firearm made IMO. Many view it as a benchmark...myself included. Ten DIY trigger variations means shooters with all preferences can find what style they like most, and then do it on their own. It's an easy gun to shoot, and the recoil reduction system is a great feature. The ambi mag release is fast...I use my middle right finger to depress the mag release on the opposite side you normally do. I shot 2k rounds in 2 weeks and not one single issue. If you like double action, their LEM trigger is simply exceptional.

Get the AAC! lol

I've got a Match/LEM combination in all my USPs, but stick to some flavor of Trijicon for sights. Extended mag release is a must!

I agree 100% based on my own experience. I had a Jarvis barrel made for the intended gun, and I purchased it for the full chamber support. They make some of the finest barrels and are very well respected. It gave exceptional performance. But still, it was not quite as reliable as OEM...and I had the exact issue you noted. When it got exceptionally hot and fouled, it had extraction issues here and there...which on paper also makes sense due to the chamber/tighter tolerances. There are tons of threads on aftermarket barrels from lesser makers causing nightmare scenarios...which is very similar to some of the aftermarket mags made for Sigs and H&Ks. It seems the barrel is such an integrated part that is really pays to use the barrel the manufacturer has engineered to work specifically with that very gun. I'd buy another Jarvis, but not for a firearm I would intend to use for self defense, and not for my USP9SD in which I can shoot 500 rounds in a single session (hence the worry of excessive fouling causing the shell casing to create more resistance than the extractor is made to handle).

My liking of the 226 and USP9SD is that Sig and H&K are testing those guns at the factory with that exact configuration before shipping, and they have people who know every inch of those guns who ensure all parts are well-mated and work together. It would be hard to achieve this with aftermarket IMO.

^This. The only non-HK component I'll run on the the internals is a stiffer Wolf spring for .45 Super.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Personal experience, hope this helps.
    Cobra M2 9mm can
    G23 Gen3 with LWD threaded conversion barrel.
    It eject brass to my face, happens about 1 in 30 or so. It got improved after I shot more and polished the barrel. But start to notice some wear marks. Ground the barrel for good!

G17 Gen4 with Stormlake threaded barrel
    No ejection or wear problem as the LWD barrel. Very happy with this set up.

I don't have a sig or HK to compare with, however on both glocks I did experience the excess blow back gas to spread me with lube anti-seize. According to what I read, you should not have this issue if hosted by sig or hk.

still love my glocks~~~~~~~~~

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Its not 9mm

Understatement of the century! LOL

If a 9mm was built that huge, you'd expect it to aim itself.

Aside from that you could get ANY other HK handgun, threaded barrel, choice of sites, every aftermarket upgrade you'd want, a nice AAC suppressor, the tax stamp and possibly even some ammo for the cost of JUST the MK23...

Too many movies and video games, for a giant pistol even the intended market isn't ecstatic about. It's the Desert Eagle of HK.

Posted from my TungstenROM JB 4.2.2 Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom