• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Ok I am making the jump into cool toys...I really want a silencer/suppressor for my new Ruger Mark 111 Talo edition.

I want a middle of the road can...not looking to drop 500$ but looking in 300-400$ range.

I have done some research and kind of like what I have read about the Advance Armmament Element2. I will mostly be using this for plinking and eliminating some pesky ground hogs....quietly! ;)

Anybody with silencer experience have any input would be appreciated.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You should be able to get a Silencerco Sparrow for $400.That's probably the best out there. The Spectre is good too. Not sure if your budget is including the tax stamp or not.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    No this would be for just the silencer...tax gets another 200 out of me.

Sparrow ok thanks for the input. I have heard good things on them as well....

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I will let you know in a few months how the dead air mask Hd is when I get it out of jail. I picked this can after reading lots of reviews on it. There may be some that are quieter but, I wanted one that could handle several calipers just in case I expand my rifle selection later on.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Silencerco Spectre ii outperforms the Sparrow. Thw sparrow is supposed to be easier to take apart even if very dirty. A Spectre ii is about $400.

The newest bestest thing out there is a Dead Air Mask. A little out of your price range at $425. But when you are paying $200 for a tax stamp, what's $25.

A little cheaper, about $300 is a Gemtech GM22. I know a couple of guys with these and they are very happy with thwm.

A lot of $300 rimfire suppressors do as good a job as the $400 ones. The difference is the cheaper ones will be all aluminum. The more expensive ones mix stainless, titanium, inconel and aluminum. Many of them are also easier to service.

Good luck.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks all for the quick response. I think I really need to look into this Spectre...kind of had tunnel vision with AAC but still open to others. I like the idea of stainless for durability and cleaning easy.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I really like my Spectre II. It's super quiet on my Savage MKII and M&P22. I like what I've seen about the Dead Air Mask.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Anyone ever looked at the Freedom Armory Minuteman suppressor? I saw it and spoke with them for a while at the Outdoor Show. IT sure looks nice and that is the way that I am leaning.
    http://www.famachineworks.com

Don't know where you are located, but they show Duffy's as a dealer.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I like my Sparrow. FA and multi caliber rated so it has some versailty. And easy to take apart and clean.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Keep in mind that the Sparrow may not be the best option for pistol only use. You are always going to have first round pop if shooting it dry. The spectre II may be a better option for performance reasons. That said, I have both and I tend to use the Sparrow more because it is easy to clean.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I've got a Warlock II and it's fantastic. Weighs in at a mere 3oz and is perfect on the end of my S&W M&P 22 compact. With an empty mag inserted and the suppressor on, the entire package weighs just 20oz! That's 1.25 lbs! By comparison, a G17 weighs 25oz.

Sorry for the tangent but I guess my point is that weight is something to consider as well.
    If you will be doing primarily pistol shooting with it, go super lightweight. If you are doing rifle shooting you can go with something heavier. If you want to do both you can meet somewhere in the middle but I'd still recommend staying on the lighter side. Nothing is worse than a heavy can dragging down the front end of your favorite 22 plinking pistol.

I have heard great things about the Spectre as well though. Can't really go wrong with Silencerco.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I have a sparrow, and if i had it over to do again, I'd get the same. The clamshell design makes clean up so much easier than typical .22 cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I don't think there is a single best suppressor. A lot depends on what you want. Personally, weight is high on my priority list, as is suppression. If I were starting new, I'd be looking at a Silencerco Osprey Micro. Or an AWC Titan IV - wet cans don't bother me.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I agree with DP on the Spectre. Cant comment on the Dead Air... yet.
    Also someone asked about the Minuteman 22 from Freedom armory. For the few hundred rounds I have put through one, it's equal to the Spectre and a really well made can.
    If it were me, I would find a Spectre II or Mask.
    Stay away from aluminum cans, they can be a real SOB to clean.
    Have you thought about how you are going to buy it? Meaning Trust or individual.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks all...leaning heavy now towards a Spectre I think. Sparrow sound good as well but might be on the upper ending what I want to spend.

I am going to do a trust and I know I have to get my feet moving!

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    My only advice would be to find what you want, and try to make cost the lowest priority. You're talking about around a hundred dollars separating most .22 cans. They should last a very, very long time if they're taken care of. They are one time when the old buy once, cry once saying really applies. I don't personally like to pay more for a specific brand generally, but i would suggest really researching the company/model you choose. Make sure you're getting exactly what you want before you pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I like the durable construction, click together baffles and minimal FRP of the Spectre II. I decided to pick up a second Spectre II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom