• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Hi, everybody.

One addition I'm thinking of making to my collection is one of those classic repeating rifles.

So I wanted to ask you all:

What's the best repeating rifle?

Which repeating rifle provides the best bang for the buck?

What repeating rifle is the cheapest to shoot and train with?

Thanks.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What's the best motorcycle?
    1) Harley fat boy
    2) honda crf250x
    3) Triumph
    4) triton cafe racer

they could all be valid answers depending on what's important to you. "best" is a different thing to everyone.

depends what you're using it for, what values you hold in higher regard(accuracy vs. reliability vs. aftermarket support vs. aesthetics vs. history). Are you over 21? Do you want a rimfire or something more substantial? How much you looking to spend. Please provide some needs you want the repeating rifle to meet so that we can offer better advice.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    1) Harley fat boy
    2) honda crf250x
    3) Triumph
    4) triton cafe racer

they could all be valid answers depending on what's important to you. "best" is a different thing to everyone.

depends what you're using it for, what values you hold in higher regard(accuracy vs. reliability vs. aftermarket support vs. aesthetics vs. history). Are you over 21? Do you want a rimfire or something more substantial? How much you looking to spend. Please provide some needs you want the repeating rifle to meet so that we can offer better advice.

Good point. Well, let's see... guess I'd like to keep the price below $500. Not looking for anything too gaudy or fancy; something that's affordable to shoot every week or so, that's a good blend of accurate and reliable; not big on aftermarket modifications; something that's reminiscent of the history of the American West...

And I'm WAY OVER 21 years of age... and maybe something that could be a good home defense weapon in a pinch, in case my Mossberg shotgun does on the disabled list...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Good point. Well, let's see... guess I'd like to keep the price below $500. Not looking for anything too gaudy or fancy; something that's affordable to shoot every week or so, that's a good blend of accurate and reliable; not big on aftermarket modifications; something that's reminiscent of the history of the American West...

And I'm WAY OVER 21 years of age... and maybe something that could be a good home defense weapon in a pinch, in case my Mossberg shotgun does on the disabled list...

Everything before your last paragraph nodded towards a .22lr of some kind(marlin 60/papoose, nylon 66, 10/22). The last nodded more towards something in .223/5.56. You looked into a used mini-14 yet? Not really old west, but good for defense, accurate enough for plinking and VERY reliable. Should find one for under $500 pretty easy.

A levergun in .357 would be another good choice. You'd be able to shoot cheaper .38's at the range and .357's for hunting/defense. Puma makes one that's a good enough clone of an old winchester for cheap. Henry's are solid...marlin's are in a transition and i wouldn't trust the remington marlins yet until the people get better trained up...it's a shame, they used to be great.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    1) Harley fat boy
    2) honda crf250x
    3) Triumph
    4) triton cafe racer

Norton Commando of course. :thumbsup:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    smokey0118 said:
    Everything before your last paragraph nodded towards a .22lr of some kind(marlin 60/papoose, nylon 66, 10/22). The last nodded more towards something in .223/5.56. You looked into a used mini-14 yet? Not really old west, but good for defense, accurate enough for plinking and VERY reliable. Should find one for under $500 pretty easy.

A levergun in .357 would be another good choice. You'd be able to shoot cheaper .38's at the range and .357's for hunting/defense. Puma makes one that's a good enough clone of an old winchester for cheap. Henry's are solid...marlin's are in a transition and i wouldn't trust the remington marlins yet until the people get better trained up...it's a shame, they used to be great.

The Rossi/ Puma .38/.357 is a nice choice, on the higher price end though, more than Marlin .30-30 for the rifle itself. My 16" Rossi was about $550.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville

Thanks. I hadn't considered a .357; I'll definitely take a close look; wish I could shoot a few; they all look like such fun to shoot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Going with your stated preference for being at least remeniscent of American West , that would point to lever actions.

For a newly mfg .22 , Henry is good choice. If you stumble upon a Marlin M39 or Win M9422 within your avaable funds, they are both well thought of.

To move upwards used .30-30s are ubitiquous, requires real rifle range.

In pistol cal , the .357s can use inexpensive ( and mild) .38spls. The .44mags are very suitable for hunting at up to 100yds , and very plesent to shoot with .44spls , but is pricier to shoot unless you reload.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Going with your stated preference for being at least remeniscent of American West , that would point to lever actions.

For a newly mfg .22 , Henry is good choice. If you stumble upon a Marlin M39 or Win M9422 within your avaable funds, they are both well thought of.

To move upwards used .30-30s are ubitiquous, requires real rifle range.

In pistol cal , the .357s can use inexpensive ( and mild) .38spls. The .44mags are very suitable for hunting at up to 100yds , and very plesent to shoot with .44spls , but is pricier to shoot unless you reload.

Thanks, Biggfoot. I'm definitely interested in one of the lever actions.

I've just recently learned about the outdoor range at the Myrtle Grove wildlife management area in La Plata that's maintained by the Deparment of Natural Resources. Haven't been there yet, but maybe that would be a great place to shoot one of these.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Just teasin'
    :)

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Norton Commando of course. :thumbsup:

I agree :party29:

If you're lookin' for a .22, the Henry is the gateway lever. Buy one, now. Then buy another safe. Once you buy the Henry, buy a Win 94, search out a Marlin 39A, then flirt with a Browing BLR. You may even dig the Mossberg 464, given your name, but make no mistake, you'll find yourself in a dark alley trading for a Spencer soon enough....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom