• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I seriously need to pattern both by Tristar and my FN SC1. I actually shoot trap better with the Tristar and shoot wobble about the same with both. The FN really shines for sporting clays and 5-stand. It is a longer/heavier gun and swings so much better. I've never tried skeet but want to give it a go before the end of the year.

One thing for the OP to consider with his new Tristar... I bought Carlson extended chokes for mine (Beretta/Benelli thread pattern) and saw a significant improvement on trap scores. Bass Pro had them on sale for around $75 for a set of 3 (waterfowl).

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    :innocent0:D

You are right, I definitely can't shoot trap. Too monotenous for me, I don't have the brain capacity to shoot at the same easy targets over and over.:tdown:

All that as side, trap is more mental like skeet. Its more convenient and cost effective, besides PG county if you aren't close to the PA state line or Eastern shore its a haul to get to a 50/100 target Sporting clay course for amateur hour. Not sure what VA or WVA has for Sporting clays

You need to shoot trap with a certain MDS crew, quite the challenge when you're laughing at the bird calls...just ask teratos.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That sounds like fun. I got really turned off from trap, at least locally to me since I shoot mostly in the winter, things are slow and clubs would only have 1 trap field open and 5 squads signed up. Takes over an hour to get to shoot.

With sporting clays, you show up when they're open and you can basically run the course how you feel like it

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other thing about sub 1K guns besides durability. is that some aren't regulated very well either...

Yeap, it costs money to make two barrels shoot to the same POA.

The thing is, there are some nice O/U for a bit more money. Especially if you go used.

The old Winchester 101 was a superb shotgun. After Wincheser stopped making them, CVC was making a copy. And they were not cheap. Not sure how Winchester is making them so cheap, and if the are the same basic gun as the old ones. If so, I will need to pick one up.

Maher1510

Mar 23, 2015
    Frederick
    I guess I should have said what I would use it for. It would be mainly for dove rabbit hunting. Probably get shot 100 times a year on average. Don't shoot shotguns for practice or fun near as much as rifle. And thanks for the heads up with the Carlson chokes Jarhead. In my list to get this weekend.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yeap, it costs money to make two barrels shoot to the same POA.

The thing is, there are some nice O/U for a bit more money. Especially if you go used.

The old Winchester 101 was a superb shotgun. After Wincheser stopped making them, CVC was making a copy. And they were not cheap. Not sure how Winchester is making them so cheap, and if the are the same basic gun as the old ones. If so, I will need to pick one up.

Been wondering that as well. I had a friend...an old man I was close with some years back who had a Win 101 Pigeon Grade that I shot very well. Everyone I knew back then liked and respected the Win 101...but they were around 1k 20 years back. It does make one wonder how good these newer 101s are. Just saw an ad for one at $1049. Supposed to be from FN in Herstal Belgium.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe used $1K 20 years ago. They stopped making them in the late 80s or so. We started in the early 90s, and the CVC guns were coming out then.

But looking at the new ones, they use Invector Plus choke tubes, which mean all my Browning choke tubes work.

Hmmm, may have to pick one of these up.

FN made, same dimensions as the original, uses the choke tubes I already have.

Oops, Sporting model is $2379 MSRP.

But field grade is $1899 MSRP, so about $850 off the MSRP at $1049. So maybe about $1500 for Sporting???????????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, from their site yesterday.

Then I have to find an older one. :)

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    That sounds like fun. I got really turned off from trap, at least locally to me since I shoot mostly in the winter, things are slow and clubs would only have 1 trap field open and 5 squads signed up. Takes over an hour to get to shoot.

Sounds like the AGC. That's why I quit going there. Come to LRSTC. If you wait 10 minutes, that's a lot.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    To put your budget into perspective. .....I paid $ 1195 for my Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays...........in 1990 !!!!!

For a grand your better off looking at a nice semi-auto.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Picked up a Broadway and Citori both Belgium made, a long while
    back, from Ralph Browns Trading post in Jefferson, also a T-bolt 22

A semi-auto in around 1K maybe...

-Rock

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Maybe used $1K 20 years ago. They stopped making them in the late 80s or so. We started in the early 90s, and the CVC guns were coming out then.

But looking at the new ones, they use Invector Plus choke tubes, which mean all my Browning choke tubes work.

Hmmm, may have to pick one of these up.

FN made, same dimensions as the original, uses the choke tubes I already have.

Oops, Sporting model is $2379 MSRP.

But field grade is $1899 MSRP, so about $850 off the MSRP at $1049. So maybe about $1500 for Sporting???????????

Well, only the field grade was in the sales ad at BP. Maybe check out the store to see if they have a clays model in stock. If I was inclined to get one, it would be the field. I don't like floating the clay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom