• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    With all of the new "assault" rifles that have debuted recently, or that are set to debut in the near future, I was wondering what ya'll's opinions are on these rifles.

I know that right now, the only two really on the market are the Sig 556 and the XCR, with the ACR, FN SCAR and HK 416 set to debut in the near future (hopefully), but what do you guys think? Are these rifles worth the money, or are they just overhyped, well-marketed ARs?

Of those that have had exposure to some of the above, what are your opinions? Which one, if any, is the new go-to?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm always afraid that we're one legislative session or executive decree away from more bans on guns and parts. With that in mind, the AR is my choice since parts will be easily available for the next 20+ years.

Also, anything that could possibly go wrong with my AR I could have fixed locally in under a day. Not sure how easy it is to get parts for the othe rifles you mentioned and I'm sure there isn't as many people knowledgable in the maintenance and repair of those rifles.

The XCR is a sweet rifle....never handled the others you mentioned.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I'm always afraid that we're one legislative session or executive decree away from more bans on guns and parts. With that in mind, the AR is my choice since parts will be easily available for the next 20+ years.

Also, anything that could possibly go wrong with my AR I could have fixed locally in under a day. Not sure how easy it is to get parts for the othe rifles you mentioned and I'm sure there isn't as many people knowledgable in the maintenance and repair of those rifles.

The XCR is a sweet rifle....never handled the others you mentioned.

I'm with Spott on this one , it's all about the parts, and what fits what.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I agree that it is best to go with the standards first. AR, AK, FAL, etc., for the reasons stated above. But once you already have enough of those, I find that variety is nice. I didn't get my XCR until I already had enough of the "standards" to cover me for life.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I agree that the AR should be a staple of anyone's firearms collection. I was referring more to pure functionality and operation of the rifle.

It will take a long time for one of these rifles to TRULY replace the AR or AK as the go-to battle rifle/carbine. I just wanted to know which one you guys think has the best shot.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    The Sig 556 is actually what inspired me to write this thread. I was doing some reading on it, because it looks cool, and the things I read were great...initially, but then I started reading some more mixed reviews.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I agree that it is best to go with the standards first. AR, AK, FAL, etc., for the reasons stated above. But once you already have enough of those, I find that variety is nice. I didn't get my XCR until I already had enough of the "standards" to cover me for life.

$%$&%^# rich computer nerds!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I have fired the XCR and think it is probably one of the finest rifles that I have ever fired that were based on the AR platform, ergonomics of the weapon were as close to perfect as I have ever experienced on ANY rifle. That being said, I can not justify the purchase price because of the reasons stated above in regards to parts and future support. I will stick with a good ole rock river M4gery, they make one of the nicest as far as fit and quality go, then factor in that any AR part will fit it and you have a winner for a MBR. You can also buy 1K in ammo to feed it and still be right about what that XCR will cost.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I just want to say that Dan at Gun Connection is a cruel, cruel man. While I was in there yesterday picking up some extra mags for my XD, I saw the Sig556, and simply asked how much it was.

Before I knew it, it was off the wall and in my hands. That is a SWEET feeling rifle. It looks blocky, and unwieldy, but it's probably the single best-balanced rifle I've ever held, and it fit my very well.

Though Dan was not responsible for handing me the rifle, nor was he the one that pointed out that he has financing, I still blame him for tempting me with such a bad ass rifle.

If I hadn't just bought an engagement ring, I'd be seriously considering the Sig. I do think I want to shoot it first, and give it some time to see what kind of long-term reviews come in on it though.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I just want to say that Dan at Gun Connection is a cruel, cruel man. While I was in there yesterday picking up some extra mags for my XD, I saw the Sig556, and simply asked how much it was.

Before I knew it, it was off the wall and in my hands. That is a SWEET feeling rifle. It looks blocky, and unwieldy, but it's probably the single best-balanced rifle I've ever held, and it fit my very well.

Though Dan was not responsible for handing me the rifle, nor was he the one that pointed out that he has financing, I still blame him for tempting me with such a bad ass rifle.

If I hadn't just bought an engagement ring, I'd be seriously considering the Sig. I do think I want to shoot it first, and give it some time to see what kind of long-term reviews come in on it though.

So that was you?

I was the short guy getting the Springer 1911.

Next thing I know I'm fondling the LCP they had out for show and eyeing up the stripped lowers.

Trips to the gun shop ALWAYS cost more than originally planned.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Yeah, I was the tall dude in the suit.

There was a reason I didn't stay long, and that's because the longer I stay in that store, the more money I part with.

I'll be picking up an AR, or some other MBR in the near future.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD

I agree 100% there. I picked up 3 AR15 lowers in 2 years. Two are built, and the third is sitting and waiting. Hopefully, any ill begotten bans will allow me to finish the 3rd rifle. i got my AK47 first, not as accurate for target shooting like the AR15 platform, but a blast to shoot and louder. I just hope we can hold the politicians accountable to the reasoning for the "assault" weapons ban, considering very few violent crimes are committed with an assault rifle.

If I went for a non AR15 rifle, my choice would be the FS2000.
    FNM0138mb.png

Same good ammo, nice small bullpup style configuration. Does not use the same parts as any of the regulated firearms, so it's a standard long gun. The only issue i can see is, you have to get it with 10 round magazines and go out of state for the 30 rounders.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    That Bastage

He did that crap to you too!?!?! I will need to wait till my funds recoup from the Sig 226 Elite I just got from him. But, I will have one, oh yes, I will have one. I just need see if the 226 is "to hell and back reliable". Only Sig I had till this point was my Sig Mosquito and so far it has been "to 7-11 and back reliable".

You might want to ask, but I think he might take the engagement ring as a down payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom