• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    Just bought a Victorinox original Swiss army knife the other day and thought it was so dang nifty that I needed a better one so I ordered the cybertool 41. It says it's made for computers specifically, but I thought all those interchangeable bits would be cool. I almost got the swiss champ, but I thought the cybertool was smaller and looked better. So this is a thread for your favorite multi tool. List your favorite one and the features it has.

P.s. anybody know of a QUALITY multi tool that has anything gun related and or survival related such as a fire striker? I know leatherman makes the mutt which has gun stuff on it, but it doesn't have thte EDC stuff that I want in one. Also Jeep makes a multi tool that has a fire starter, but I heard the quality makes it a POS.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Your brain.

...of course since it's hard to upgrade that for most people, im a big fan of sog's power lock multitool pliers. Very smooth operation all around. The skeletool cx is something smaller but pretty cool in 154cm. I like that it's small enough to be an edc but has enough things (pliers, screwdriver set, wire stripper/cutter, knife, caribener hook/ bottle opener) to be handy.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Leatherman Surge

Tools:

• Blade Exchanger (saw, file, any t-shank sabre saw blade will fit)
    • 420HC Clip Point Knife
    • 420HC Sheepsfoot Serrated Knife
    • Needlenose Pliers
    • Regular Pliers
    • Wire Cutters
    • Hard-wire Cutters
    • Stranded-wire Cutters
    • Wire Stripper
    • Electrical Crimper
    • 5/16" Screwdriver
    • Large Bit Driver
    • Small Bit Driver
    • Scissors
    • Wood/Metal File
    • Diamond-coated File
    • Saw
    • Bottle Opener
    • Can Opener
    • 9 in | 22 cm Ruler
    • Awl with Thread Loop
    • INCLUDED BITS: Phillips and Flat Tip Eyeglasses Screwdriver Bit, Phillips #1-2 and 3/16" Screwdriver Bit

Features:

• 123-456
    • Stainless Steel Handles
    • Stainless Steel Body
    • Black Oxide Finish
    • Outside-accessible Blades for One-handed Opening
    • All Locking Blades and Tools
    • Lanyard ring
    • Leather or Nylon Sheath
    • 25-year Warranty

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I carry a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit every day, it's been a great multitool. Just don't put too much torque on the smaller flatheads, they do tend to twist. Victorinox's steel is a little too soft for really heavy duty abuse.

When I get another one, I'll probably go Leatherman. Not sure which model I like best yet.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    the only reason I didn't get a leatherman is because they're just a little too bulky for me and that's saying alot....you should see my pockets. People tell me I need a purse. THe victorinoxes are a little more streamlined BUT the leathermans seem like their tools could stand some full strength use whereas the Vnox seems more delicate

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    i almost bought a mut but it doesn't have enough of the basic EDC tools I'd want daily and at over 100 bucks I can't justify that tool just for a gun. I'd get that field survivor thing that fits in the bottom of your handle if i was going to drop over 100

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I carry a skeletool every day and I'm very happy with it. I carried a Wave for a while but it became a bit of a pain due to size/weight.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I carry a Buck Whittaker everyday. It's probably not the best tool out there, but it serves my work purposes well.

I snapped off the drop point after rigorous prying on things I shouldn't have been prying on, but all other features are still in great working order.

The blade stays pretty dang sharp. Sharp enough to trim my nails every few days for the past 4-5 years.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    This has been on my keyring for 12+ years.
    Sure, I have a larger multi-tool in the car, and in my backpack, but I always have this one with me because I always have my keys.
    Have used it thousands of times over the years.

miniweb.jpg

Minimaster by Kutmaster

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I've had Gerber Compact Sports for the past 10 years. The first one was part of my EDC when I wore a uniform. Bought the second one just to keep in the glove box because I got tired of not having one with me when I was out of uniform.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    how is the quality that gerber you have? when the situation came up for me needing a new knife I stayed away from gerber because the last gerber I had was impossible to sharp and wouldn't take an edge for crap. On top of that the tip broke off and thats why I needed a new 1. I had 2 before that and loved them, but that gerber fast 3.0 was garbage.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    how is the quality that gerber you have? when the situation came up for me needing a new knife I stayed away from gerber because the last gerber I had was impossible to sharp and wouldn't take an edge for crap. On top of that the tip broke off and thats why I needed a new 1. I had 2 before that and loved them, but that gerber fast 3.0 was garbage.

Pliers and screwdriver heads have been solid, which is why I bought the second one. The blade...ehhh...I'm not impressed. Had the same problems with taking an edge. Didn't really bother me as I've had a separate EDC knife the entire time I've owned the Gerber.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    do you know what kind of steel they use on their knives? it seemed like some strange steel to me. I'm definately no knife afficianado, but that steel has me perplexed. It's the only knife I've ever seen that couldn't be sharpened so I thought maybe it was because it was just a really hard steel or something. then the tip snapped...lol. Maybe their higher end knives are different. I wish I could design my own multi tool

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    +1 for the Leatherman Surge. I've EDC's one for I'd guess 5 years if not more. Is it big? Yes. That's the point. If you're serious about having a multi-tool for serious use, you can do no better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom