• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    For a fast-access pistol safe, the Fort Knox is hard to beat. I have one on order. The lesser GunVaults and StackOns may work too in some instances...as others have said, for a safe this size, hiding it is the best way to go.

With that said, for real brute force and fire protection, it gets expensive. Modern composite safes are very heavy, often driving up shipping prices substantially. However, the composites have pushed fire protection to a whole new level, and IMO a composite safe is often better suited than a plate safe for home usage. Most of today's high security safes use higher density composites that not only acts as fire protection, but acts as additional armor to protect the safe.

Brown Safe has a great website to explain different levels of protection:
    http://www.brownsafe.com/features_weapon_safes/Protection.html

Most 'average' 'gun safes' are 10-12 gauge...that is .1 to .14 inches of steel, and the steel isn't always all that great nor are the welds. A brute force attack will defeat these safes rather quickly...in some cases, in a matter of seconds. They really give marginal security at best, and none of these safes have seen UL testing that involves a penetration test because most wouldn't last a minute against a common saw with a carbide blade. In this sense, they compromise security as they give a criminal a target.

There are a few makers who offer significantly thicker armor on their safes. Fort Knox and Sturdy (both RSC to my understanding) use a series of thicker plates with composites and offer multiple levels of thickness and steels the user can self-select. AmSec and Brown Safe make TL-30 rated gun safes...and the price (and weight) reflects this. AmSec and Brown are both well-known for their "High Security" models.

I personally ultimately settled on a smaller composite tool-resistant safe for the most important things given the fire and burglary protection is exceptional, and a large lockable cabinet/B-rate-or-lower safe for things of lower importance. Many brands that make some of the best safes also make very low-end ones as well, so the actual model/specification is more important than the brand. Obviously, as ratings go up, one gets better protection from a penetration attack and often get better fire ratings as well (when looking at fire ratings, pay attention to the stated temp in addition to the time...I've noticed some makers test at lower temps than others).

If you are buying a safe for potential insurance discounts, calling them to see what certifications the safe needs for what discounts is worthwhile. In some instances, discounts can be substantial enough to justify buying a larger/higher security safe than you would have otherwise.

Really it comes down to the level of protection you want. The majority of safes are far better fire safes than they are burglary safes. One may fit you better than others. For me personally, I wanted a known level of burglary protection. That came at the expense of a smaller-sized safe.

Another important point is building an environment that is hostile to criminals. A middle-end safe in a good setting may be better than a high-end safe in a bad setting. This is something safe experts are great with and IMO there is good reason to get safes through safe retailers because big box stores will not have this wealth of knowledge. I have always been told that the goal with a safe is to delay, and if a safe is used as the only method to delay, then it isn't being done right.

those are amazing but way out of my price range,,

i really like the safes with the bars instead of cheap easy to pry open with crowbar hinges...

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    I have this and have kept 3 pistols in it.
    http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...&010=SKU-8960144&camp=CSE:GoogleBase:10881618
    Affordable, can be bolted down and can also be hidden. Won't keep a determined person out for long if they find it but will keep honest people and children out. Very solid construction and pry resistant. Again, it's not going to be an impenetrable fortress but it will do a decent job of keeping your guns safe until you can afford or decide you need a real safe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

is that 3 pistol that come in factory plastic cases like xdm, Beretta ? or just solo pistols?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    those are amazing but way out of my price range,,

i really like the safes with the bars instead of cheap easy to pry open with crowbar hinges...

I can completely understand the price limitations. Brown Safe is a very reputable company, but they are one of the more expensive companies out there...and of course as safes get larger, the shipping logistics can become very complicated very quickly.

As far as one box or safe holding three guns, if you go smaller size, foam padding is a great way to layer them IMO...you can often get 2 guns and some mags in safes that are marked for one gun. The Stack On that is 11.8 x 8.6 x 4.2 inches (their smallest size for that type of box) easily fits two handguns and if we are talking smaller hand guns, then 3 may be possible.

The Fort Knox box will fit two pretty easily
    http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html
    Their other size box may fit 3.

If you want fire protection, IMO the way to go is composite. If you want something with a little more capacity and security, the AmSec CSC, a few Adesco, and a few Gardall models with a RSC rating plus a 2 hour fire rating can be had for as little as $500 and at that point you are getting some serious fire protection as well, which you wont find with many pistol boxes because of the size (some come with fast-access electronic locks). If you have jewelry or gun insurance, they may lower your insurance rate as well (check with them to see if/what requirements they have). A few premiums on insurances I have got a decent bit cheaper when they heard the words "tool resistent fire safe". It may be a little more than you want to spend, but once you get to this point, you are getting better protection from fire and a penetration/brute force attack. Also the fire protection is always a huge plus...once you start thinking about it some, it quickly dawns on you that having a fire safe benefits more than guns and valuables given they can protect the papers and electronics that our lives are stored on. So even if not now, its worth giving thought to. IMO having a safe that protects from fire is one of the most important purchases that one can make given what they can protect.

Here's one of the smaller Gardalls:
    http://www.safeshowroom.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=1612-2

I've seen Protex fire safes with 1 cubic foot delivered for under 300...no idea on quality tho or the actual fire rating.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    is that 3 pistol that come in factory plastic cases like xdm, Beretta ? or just solo pistols?

I had 2 glock plastic cases, a walther case, a camera, a bunch of documents and paperwork and still had some room but not much. I've taken some of the cases out though since then and store them elsewhere. I don't see a need to keep them locked up, they're only worth about $20 and I'd rather have more room in the safe.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    dude get off your horse.. im asking a question about SAFETY and your riding my ASS.... :tinfoil:

Welcome to the forum...Your skin will need to get thicker though. The longer you hang around, the more you will see no one is above being ridden at times. Don't take it personally, best advice is to just laugh along or ignore.
    The safest place I have found to keep my handgun is in my waistband under a nice loose fitting shirt.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Haven't heard anything bad about it, but also don't know anybody personally who has one. In my opinion the price is too high for what it is, if I were going to spend that much on a small safe, I'd go with the Ft. Knox. https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=58

Negatives: Over priced. No additional fire protection, other than the metal box. Won't resist a simple pry bar attack.

Positives: Easy to move and hide/disguise. Outstanding mechanical lock. If bolted down provides 'good' security from honest people.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    You should google that. They can be opened by kids just by bumping them or using a paperclip and straw. The inexpensive electronic lock safes (incl stack on) all seem to have the same flawed locking solenoid mechanism.

I'll check it out thanks...should've known there was a catch somewhere. :mad54:

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I am using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11618-BARSKA-Digital-Keypad/dp/B004XSB5S6

In theory at least, the motorized bolts should prevent being able to bump a solenoid like shown in those other videos. Again, this will not stop a real theif but will keep kids out and stop/slow a crime-of-opportunity.

I got mine from Overstock.com for $100 and so far it seems to perform just fine.

Attachments

• 61M+K5pvrBL._SL1300_.jpg
      61M+K5pvrBL._SL1300_.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 162

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I got these for use in the car and at home.

Attachments

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      1.8 KB · Views: 157
    • mini safe.jpg
      mini safe.jpg
      2.8 KB · Views: 147
    • handgun safe.jpg
      handgun safe.jpg
      2.9 KB · Views: 155

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts