Best CCW Sub Compact Auto or Mini Revolver for Chubby Hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    The trick is a good set of pants and a stiff belt. Im damn near 300 pounds with a big guy and I can comfortably carry and conceal an HK P30 and I do this EVERY DAY ALL DAY. If you are wanting something smaller and are familiar with Glock, a 42 is a good option. If I want to go smaller I carry a Walther PPK/S. .380 haters are people who don't carry anyway, so I would give the small .380s a once over.

Side note, I've concealed my Mk25 as well, everything comes down to what you wear and not so much body type. A friend of mine on here conceals a USP Tactical every day and he by no means overweight. As a big guy who carries everywhere all the time not just at my house...I'll let you in on a secret. The Kydex IWB fad sucks for bigger guys. I use wither a galco suede or a cheap uncle mikes. Both have served me well everywhere I've gone. I've carried at rodeos, movies, concerts, and even Disney On Ice..no printing as my buddies and I are very conscious of it.

Interesting you bring up all the above, as it seems with winter clothing, I could probably carry my (full sized) 1911, MK25, G19, or anything so long as I kept my layers on, but this question was more so towards carry even if I were to be dressed for inside, like say at a restaurant.

Talkin size, I'm 5'10", and 265, and a bud of mine said - "yeah yer fat, but not so fat that you can hide anything as I can..." He's about 325lbs, and IWB carries a friggin 686+!

Revisiting 380's, would you feel confident you'd be able to take down an angry and hyped up dude yer size, with that caliber? I'm just thinkin, if I can get a 9MM in a similar frame size, why not opt for the bigger caliber?

Also, for comparisons sake, I've shot side by side a Walther PPK rental vs. my Bersa Thunder 380 CC, and was surprised how I shot the PPK better. Both seemed jumpy in my hands either way though.

Thanks for your input btw!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Funny. The only thing that gives away you are carrying anything is the belt pocket clip for the knife. Good luck with your endeavor.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Power to weight ratio...also applies to guns , not just cars.

For subcompacts, stay with the 9mm. Anything bigger will recoil substantially and will affect accuracy, controllability and speed of follow up shots.

Just load up with modern defensive ammo. A hit with a poodle shooter 9 is better than a miss with a bigger caliber. A glock 26, +p hollow points is a good defensive package

OK, that makes sense. I do have the most trigger time in general with 9mm on the whole anyway. I do shoot my 1911 exceptionally well, but it's also V-10 ported, so that probably has much to do with that.

Never shot 9mm+P ammo - similar to .40 in snappiness?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It's similar to a 40 SW.

Anyways. Ported guns are also bad choices for Ccw. You may not be able to fully deploy the gun before you need to fire it. Discharging at retention stance means getting blasted with gas and noise up your face.

147 grain hp also work great with the g26.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This whole thread is killing me. You are JUST FINE with how you are going right now in that picture. The grip tape is killing you though I know.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    It's similar to a 40 SW.

Anyways. Ported guns are also bad choices for Ccw. You may not be able to fully deploy the gun before you need to fire it. Discharging at retention stance means getting blasted with gas and noise up you face.

147 grain hp also work great with the g26.

OK, good to know as well. 147 grain HP's seem to be popular at least on all the YouTube ballistics tests of 9mm. Thanks again! So much to consider!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    This whole thread is killing me. You are JUST FINE with how you are going right now in that picture. The grip tape is killing you though I know.

Actually not bothering me so much - leather protects bod - so much as it's snagging my shirt. Which may be part of my prob. May have to switch to the "rubberized" Talon Grips instead, but those may grab clothing too. Hmmm

A bud offline just also suggested I lose that G17 mag with the X-Grip extension, but that makes the grip end even pointier as you'd expect...

Think this is all resolved with a G26, or maybe a 5 shot wheel gun with a boot grip. Always wanted one of those too. Just to complicate things more. =]

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

I agree. I usually carry in the appendix position during tshirt weather to minimize printing with a g32. Even when sitting down.

When carrying, you need to retrain yourself to bend at the legs instead of the waist when picking up objects. Cover garments and holsters also should be considered are an integral part of your Ccw gear.

A crossbreed super tuck allows me to iwb carry with a tucked in shirt. There are options out there other than going with a smaller gun by default.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Three things.
    1.) Sit ups are infinitely cheaper than a new gun and holster.
    2.) I would ditch the mag extension on the primary mag. They tend to print a lot more and snag.
    3.) If you plan on using grip tape. Buy a bunch of muscle t's from Wal-Mart.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Three things.
    2.) I would ditch the mag extension on the primary mag. They tend to print a lot more and snag.

Here we go. I was wondering when the boy wonder would chime in.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I've ditched the grip tape. It was rubbing my side raw. I resorted to stippling on the right side of the gun, front and backstrap. But the side the touches my side is smooth.

I have sensitive skin.... Lol

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Three things.

Hehe, I've been told I need more cardio, less cheeseburgers, and less time sitting still at a desk or driving in a car - which composes 6-8hrs of my time a day. Understood - the time is the challenge. Duly noted on 2 and 3. You guys get to Open carry anyway though right?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hehe, I've been told I need more cardio, less cheeseburgers, and less time sitting still at a desk or driving in a car - which composes 6-8hrs of my time a day. Understood - the time is the challenge. Duly noted on 2 and 3. You guys get to Open carry anyway though right?

The Mopar guy doesn't get to. No. He is a Maryland resident. He is bashing you. Listen to nothing he tells you.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I've ditched the grip tape. It was rubbing my side raw. I resorted to stippling on the right side of the gun, front and backstrap. But the side the touches my side is smooth.

I have sensitive skin.... Lol

Pics?! I've considered Dale Honeycutt's grip texturing for mine. He has a "carry friendly, pebbly" texture option I find intriguing. Supposedly grippy but not clothing snaggy...

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

I don't have carry privileges in state. Out of state (Utah and such) I prefer concealed. With the notable exception of PA where I have to open carry.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I don't have carry privileges in state. Out of state (Utah and such) I prefer concealed. With the notable exception of PA where I have to open carry.

Yah, sucks, I hear Utah is no longer accepted in PA now!? Wtf.... Open carry's generally OK there though? Or do you have some kinda PA permit to do that?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Interesting you bring up all the above, as it seems with winter clothing, I could probably carry my (full sized) 1911, MK25, G19, or anything so long as I kept my layers on, but this question was more so towards carry even if I were to be dressed for inside, like say at a restaurant.

Talkin size, I'm 5'10", and 265, and a bud of mine said - "yeah yer fat, but not so fat that you can hide anything as I can..." He's about 325lbs, and IWB carries a friggin 686+!

Revisiting 380's, would you feel confident you'd be able to take down an angry and hyped up dude yer size, with that caliber? I'm just thinkin, if I can get a 9MM in a similar frame size, why not opt for the bigger caliber?

Also, for comparisons sake, I've shot side by side a Walther PPK rental vs. my Bersa Thunder 380 CC, and was surprised how I shot the PPK better. Both seemed jumpy in my hands either way though.

Thanks for your input btw!

If it came down to 9mm vs 380 in the same gun, definitely 9mm.

I went back and looked at your pictures, I have to agree with blaster you really look fine. Another edit, listen to Blaster, he helped me big time back when I asked for advice on IWB and it has been invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom