best bang for your buck stock/buffer set up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    I'm getting ready to buy a stock for my AR build. I have a spikes lower and I'm looking to keep this build fairly cheap but still having decent parts.

Joebobs has a package deal for $98 which includes ST-T2 buffer, m4 stock, mil-spec buffer tube, spring, latch plate and castle nut....not sure if this is a good deal or not for the quality?

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Do you need the heavier buffer? Is your rifle seriously overgassed?

M&A Parts offers a CAR fiberlite style stock for $60 with everything, and is a standard weight buffer.

If you NEED the H2 buffer due to an overgassed rifle, the joebob kit looks pretty decent for the price.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    I haven't even bought the upper yet - I'll probably be heading to Engage for that next month, but I doubt it will be overgassed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You won't know if it's over/under gassed until you actually run some rounds thru it.

A basic set-up will get you running, and then you can evaluate and see if you need to do any further mods like a heavier buffer or such.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Stay away from the ATI buffer kit, I just bought one and it sucks. The threads are too large and it doesn't let the stock go into the 1 position.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    Stay away from the ATI buffer kit, I just bought one and it sucks. The threads are too large and it doesn't let the stock go into the 1 position.

Noted. I also read somewhere on here that the buffer in that kit rattles a lot too.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Noted. I also read somewhere on here that the buffer in that kit rattles a lot too.

Rattling is a common thing, some use powder for the weights, others use formed pucks for the weights.

I've run many different style of buffers, and I notice more noise from the action (buffer) spring than I do from the buffer itself when firing.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    The JP silent captured spring system is pretty nice, and very quiet.

It is not ideal for completing a rifle on a budget though, in keeping with the tradition of JP Enterprises. Nice stuff, but you pay for it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have the spikes tactical kit on a rifle and I couldn't be happier. I bought the kit without the stock because I run the Bravo B5 on it. The quality is top notch.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Although it sounds like you are looking for a collapsible stock, I would offer this. I converted my RRA middy to fixed stock. It is a lot more comfortable to fire, although a little heavier. However I will tell you, I don't notice it really, because it offsets the weight of the heavy barrel. Little more balanced. I also used it on my Stag Model 8 piston. Helped there too..... No issue with cycling either upper.

54 bucks from Joe Bob's. UTG, complete rifle stock kit.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Although it sounds like you are looking for a collapsible stock, I would offer this. I converted my RRA middy to fixed stock. It is a lot more comfortable to fire, although a little heavier. However I will tell you, I don't notice it really, because it offsets the weight of the heavy barrel. Little more balanced. I also used it on my Stag Model 8 piston. Helped there too..... No issue with cycling either upper.

54 bucks from Joe Bob's. UTG, complete rifle stock kit.

I too have had the UTG kit on a rifle build. For and finish is perfect and the A2 stock is actually a nice smooth black color instead of the standard rough dark grey. Very nice stock.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I too have had the UTG kit on a rifle build. For and finish is perfect and the A2 stock is actually a nice smooth black color instead of the standard rough dark grey. Very nice stock.

Yes. I was pleasantly surprised for such an inexpensive stock, it works exceptionally well. I got it for $49, looks like it went up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom