• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Anyone belong to Berwin? If so, what do you think? My Wife and I just joined in May. We really like it. It's a blast being able to bring our 10 year old Grandson anytime we get the urge. I think we've already gotten our monies worth. Anyway, look forward to meeting other MDS/Berwin members from time to time. Going this Fri. Around 11am. Be sure to say hi!

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I've been thinking about joining there since it is the closest place to my house that seems to have reasonable facilities. I have not yet visited yet though and would love to hear more about it. Do you have to wait for a lane? Do people seem to operate in a safe manner? Also, ever do any trap or skeet shooting there?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Just joined, but have yet to wait in any line. Usually, there's barely anyone there. I think the most people I've seen there at any one time was maybe 4-6 people, aside from us. They don't have skeet shooting here though. They talk about skeet shooting events that go on in the area. But I don't know where.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Just joined, but have yet to wait in any line. Usually, there's barely anyone there. I think the most people I've seen there at any one time was maybe 4-6 people, aside from us. They don't have skeet shooting here though. They talk about skeet shooting events that go on in the area. But I don't know where.

The clay shooting is done down the road in at the PG facility. It's in the newsletter every month.

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    I've been a member for about a year now. I don't get over there as often as I wish. I've never had to wait, although I will admit that I usually take a rifle and a pistol in case the pistol line is full.

There is a 100 yard, a 50 yard, and a 50 foot range. There's also a patterning board for your shotguns (which I'm going to learn how to use tomorrow, weather pending) and an archery range.

I find the range to be well kept, and the shooters polite and safe. The only issue that I've had was with a couple of fellows smoking on the line. I politely asked them to quit--it was interfering with my concentration-- and they immediately did.

I've also found that people will either leave you alone or help you out as you prefer. If you want help or tips, people are quite forthcoming. And everyone that I've met likes to show off their gear.

I take my son out there periodically and he's always made to feel welcome. At one point there was a small group shooting on the pistol range and they saw him watching them. After making sure it was OK with me, they showed off their hardware to him and offered to let him shoot if he wanted to. Very polite and friendly. And that seems to describe most everyone I've met out there.

Regards,
    Jerry George

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I've been a member for several years now. I just love it. Great people & facilities. I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone else has said. The members are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I've never had to wait for a shooting position. I have had to wait, usually no more than 5-10 minutes, for a point when it was convenient to call the range cold and put up a target stand. Nothing even remotely worth getting anyone's shorts in a bunch about. I gather Sundays are the busiest day. The one Sunday I went out there, it lived up to its reputation, but there was still no line. The 50 foot range, where people do most of their handgun shooting, generally seems the busiest.

Last edited:

deercrazy82

Feb 20, 2012
    Riverdale, MD
    I have been a member there now for about 3 years I joined after being hit with a richocet at another range in the area. I think it's the safest place to shoot and the people there are pretty cool. Never had to wait for a lane and never busy except maybee on a Sunday morning. It's too bad I will not be renewing my membership next year because I recently moved to pa. Now I have to search for a nice safe place to shoot up here.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I was a member in the 70's but I gave it up when they temporarily moved to Accoceek. I live in Monkey Co and it was just too far to drive. My buddy and I liked it because back then it was loose as far as restrictions as long as you used common sense. I have not heard any thing lately

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm a member there, heck, was just shooting there this afternoon!

Anyways, it's expensive, but it's worth it for the facilities and lack of annoying RSOs. I wish they'd put up some steel targets on the 100yd range, though... kind of a PITA to use paper at that range.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    I'm in Millersville and have been considering an AGC club. I didn't know about Berwyn and just checked it out online.

Anyone have an opinion on the differences between the two? How does one go about joining Berwyn?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm a member there, heck, was just shooting there this afternoon!

Anyways, it's expensive, but it's worth it for the facilities and lack of annoying RSOs. I wish they'd put up some steel targets on the 100yd range, though... kind of a PITA to use paper at that range.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

No steel, defeats the purpose of trying to keep all the rounds on the range.

I have been a member for 5+ years, and there are days I think we need dedicated RSO's. I corrected a guy last month shooting on the 100 yard range, prone without the lower boards in place. Guys shooting across lanes, shooting forward of the firing line...and while all members are considered RSOs, sometimes I get tired of being the bad guy when I see something wrong but others don't.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I've shot at Berwyn with my buddy who is a member. I like it a lot but can't spend 450 on joining. It if was lower I'd join in a second . But I can join thie AGC for about 250.00. It's a much nicer range in my opinion fr less money. but you have to get used to RO's and stopping and waiting for more than a few ppl to change targets.
    At Berwyn, I've never seen a line per say but have beem there when there was a little wait at the pistol side. ( you'll never have that problem at AGC...tons of lanes everywhere). Berwyn only has a Few spots.

I was actually at Berwyn today. For you members , I want to make you aware of the fact that while I was there and was looking at the damage on the pistol range, I and my buddy also saw metal bits embedded into the no sky boards over head and posts coming down. It seems as someone is making their own rounds fr a shotgun and trying them on the pistol range. You may want t bring this up at your next meeting as I thought you couldn't shoot shotgun there for one and the other reason was I put my hand on the post coming down and almost had one of those metal bits n my hand. Not safe at all.:sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No steel, defeats the purpose of trying to keep all the rounds on the range.
    Yeah, I know there's a reason there's no steel out there. But it doesn't make using the 100m range any less annoying for generic plinking. Allow self-healing pop-back-up targets, maybe? I feel like there's got to be some sort of reasonable compromise that would make it more usable. There's a reason you hardly ever see people on that range, and it's not just the distance.

I've never actually seen the bad behavior, but I've seen evidence of it. My gut feeling is that when they've got the range to themselves, there are a few members who like to get "fancy". I also don't understand how the hell the target stand holders get torn up so fast on the 50m range - people hitting the deck with bullets somehow? Even I am not that bad a shot, thankfully.

You may want t bring this up at your next meeting as I thought you couldn't shoot shotgun there (re: on the pistol range)
    Pretty sure you're allowed to, but there are some rules about it.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I"m a member and love it. The cost is a little hard to accept but once i did i found it all worth it. I've taken my father, sons, grandsons, and soon a daughter there and always have a good experience. I haven't seen un-safe handling or scarey shooting, what i have seen is a lot of people that will talk, share their toys, or leave you alone if you want. Great place to shoot in my opinion.

(the only trouble i had was trying to get out the day they were laying new rock on the entry road, it was still loose and my front wheel drive car wanted to dig holes instead of roll smoothly up the hill. Oh well back up and get a running start. My grandson enjoyed it )

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yeah, I know there's a reason there's no steel out there. But it doesn't make using the 100m range any less annoying for generic plinking. Allow self-healing pop-back-up targets, maybe? I feel like there's got to be some sort of reasonable compromise that would make it more usable. There's a reason you hardly ever see people on that range, and it's not just the distance.

I've never actually seen the bad behavior, but I've seen evidence of it. My gut feeling is that when they've got the range to themselves, there are a few members who like to get "fancy". I also don't understand how the hell the target stand holders get torn up so fast on the 50m range - people hitting the deck with bullets somehow? Even I am not that bad a shot, thankfully.

Pretty sure you're allowed to, but there are some rules about it.

I think slugs are ok, but buck shot is a no no. And there was a target left there that was full of buck shot holes and the metal shards were everywhere. It's ppl doing stuff like that...that ends up ruining it for everyone. I'm not even a member and I find it unexceptable and would not do it myself.

Far as how the pistol range is being tore up, I suspect quick draws and or shooting from the hip as if you squat down to hip height, you will be looking right at the bases that are being torn to shreds.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    My wife and I also shoot at Berwyn. We really like it.
    It's great to be able to go down to a range that's so close on a Friday after work and basically have the place to ourselves. We can relax and take our time and there's no one behind you waiting for the lane to open up.

I don't think I've run into a single mean person there, and like MD RIck O said, most folks are more than willing to chat, swap stories, etc. Pretty much everyone is friendly and curteous, and more than willing to show you their hardware, explain it, and most likely ask if your want to pop off a few rounds.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I"m a member and love it. The cost is a little hard to accept but once i did i found it all worth it. I've taken my father, sons, grandsons, and soon a daughter there and always have a good experience. I haven't seen un-safe handling or scarey shooting, what i have seen is a lot of people that will talk, share their toys, or leave you alone if you want. Great place to shoot in my opinion.

(the only trouble i had was trying to get out the day they were laying new rock on the entry road, it was still loose and my front wheel drive car wanted to dig holes instead of roll smoothly up the hill. Oh well back up and get a running start. My grandson enjoyed it )

Haha, yeah my buddy's 2WD ranger had problems going up the hill with the new rocks.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think slugs are ok, but buck shot is a no no. And there was a target left there that was full of buck shot holes and the metal shards were everywhere. It's ppl doing stuff like that...that ends up ruining it for everyone. I'm not even a member and I find it unexceptable and would not do it myself.

Far as how the pistol range is being tore up, I suspect quick draws and or shooting from the hip as if you squat down to hip height, you will be looking right at the bases that are being torn to shreds.

Per the range rules:

50 foot Pistol Range (Center position only):
    Allowed;
    Any shotgun up to 10 gauge
    Buckshot only (#4 to 000)
    Rifled shotgun slugs
    Sabots

Prohibited;
    All multiround pellet (lead #12 thru BB, or steel #6 thru #F shot)
    Any use of Flechette, Darts, Flexible Baton Round, Incendiary, Beehive, Breeching or Explosive Rounds are expressly prohibited

50 Yard Range (Center position only):
    Allowed;
    Rifled shotgun slugs
    Sabots

Buckshot and pellets of any size prohibited.
    Any use of Flechette, Darts, Flexible Baton Round, Incendiary, Beehive, Breeching or Explosive Rounds are expressly prohibited

100 Yard Range (Center positions only):
    Allowed;
    Rifled shotgun slugs
    Sabots

Buckshot and pellets of any size prohibited

As for the range being torn up, we have found it to simply be that folks aren't aware of their impact zone where they are aiming/shooting. There is a reason there is a minimum and maximum height to the target area, and that is to get the rounds into the sand in the berms.

At some point, we have a contractor coming in to do some much needed range maintenance and take care of some serious support, backstop, overhead stop issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom