• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good morning - I thought I'd jump in this morning to write a review on the Berry's QD-500 tumbler I bought this to replace my RCBS tumbler that died last week. Another reason for writing this review is that because this is a fairly new model (the Berry's 400 model has been around for years, and is even sold in green branded as a Cabela's brand tumbler) and there just aren't many reviews available online, so I want it to pop up in a search for others who may be considering it.

I have to say, I really really like this tumbler and the features it has, and I'd recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking to get a vibratory tumbler.

First things first, I wanted a tumbler that has a removable bowl - to me, this just makes sense, and I'm somewhat amazed that among the other brands available - Dillon included, because I was seriously considering the CV-750 - that with many of them the bowl is permanently attached to the base. The fact that this tumbler is designed with a quick detach system is fantastic, and it works really well. It locks down tight but comes loose pretty easily.
    Another thing that I like is that this one is significantly quieter than my old one, and it doesn't try to walk off my workbench top - that's an issue I always had with my RCBS.

The polycarbonate lid is also a nice touch - I can look right in and see how things are going and how cleaned and polished my brass is. The knob holding the lid is also nice - it's a big star knob rather than just a little wing nut and washer - that's why my RCBS had
    Additionally, the tumbling action on it is great, so it cleans just as fast as what I'd had before.
    Let's look at a couple of other things you get by choosing this tumbler:

-- 3-year warranty on the motor
    -- Lifetime warranty on the other parts
    -- Made in the USA
    -- Less expensive than most of the other name-brand units

To sum it up, I believe I spent less, but got more - I like everything about this unit, I'll absolutely recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a case cleaner, and I won't hesitate to buy another one if the need should arise. I ordered mine from Midway, but if you order from Berry's, they offer a package that has an extra bowl - I guess so you could have different medias for different purposes, maybe corn cob in one and walnut in the other. I might get an extra bowl at some point for that reason.

If there is a downside, it's not a large tumbler - if you're into doing great big batches of brass, you'll want something bigger, but this one is perfect for my needs because the most I ever do at one time is about 300 cases, give or take - often less. These are their advertised capacities for this tumbler:
    • .380 ACP. 1,050 pcs.
    • 9MM: 1,000 pcs.
    • .40 S&W: 700 pcs.
    • .45 ACP: 650 pcs.
    • .223 Rem./5.56mm: 450 pcs.
    • .30-06 Sprg.: 250 pcs.
    That's my review - it's a fairly new product, but I'm glad I got this one instead of spending more for something else.

(I just found the same tumbler in green rebranded to the Cabela's brand name, for even less - $65 with free shipping. I paid just north of $85, but paid for shipping from Midway USA. Live and learn I suppose - I'm still happy with what I got.)

BerrysQD500.jpg

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When my Lyman, that I've had for about 30 years, gives it up I'll look into getting one of these. I really like the idea of a transparent lid.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have an older one that does not have the removable bowl, but it has never been an issue, the unit is not heavy or difficult to dump into the shaker when it's done. I do like the clear lid they use to be able to note the progress. Mine is only a few years old, but it has run a lot of brass in those years. It may be smaller in capacity, I'm not sure, but that has never been an issue for me, they work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom