• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    With a lil bit of practice you can flick a regular one open almost as fast as a auto with out all the legal crap and the extra $100 . That said thier autos are nice lol .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    With a lil bit of practice you can flick a regular one open almost as fast as a auto with out all the legal crap and the extra $100 . That said thier autos are nice lol .

+1. I can do some tricky openings, but learning produced a few scars. :innocent0

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    I believe if you can prove that you are police fire/ems or military you can buy one in md I know if you upload your ID for one of the fore mentioned professions to benchmade they will allow u to purchase and ship to MD

Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    You should be able to sell to military members no problem. There are a ton of members here that are military i'm sure. We are able to order from the LE/Mil catalog, so I cant see a reason we would not be able to purchase from someone as well. Just put you want to sell to military in the classified add.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Kind of crazy to walk into a mall in Florida and see all the full auto Benchmades and Microtech's you can imagine cash and carry. Down there they are just regular knives.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Well if you want the legal aspects of it, there's two answers: The letter of the law, and how it goes in practice. I am adding the latter to appease the torrent of anecdotal evidence I am sure to have thrown at me if I don't.

The Letter of the Law:
    In the state of Maryland, you may not carry an auto concealed [4-101 (c)(1)], carry an auto openly with intent of injuring other person in an unlawful manner [4-101 (c)(2)] or if you are under 18 years of age, carry at all past sundown in most counties[4-101 (c)(3)(ii)]. You also may not sell or barter (nor offer to) an auto within the state [4-105]. This law contains no exceptions whatsoever for sale or barter to the military or to law enforcement.

Federal law prohibits sale over state lines [15 USC 1242] with the exception of sale to the military within the confines of a contract [15 USC 1244 (3)]. There is no exception for law enforcement or private individual sale to members of the military.

In Practice:
    Enforcement of the federal statutes and 4-105 is notorious rare. This lack of enforcement is precisely why so many myths abound about the legality of these matters. Sellers basically speculate or outright fabricate whatever rules they think sound plausible enough, and they get away with it. Why? Couple of reasons:
    1. These laws against autos were always stupid and deep down most people responsible for enforcing them probably know this.
    2. With the threat of drugs, bombs, biological agents, terrorism, murder for hire, etc. the illegal sale of pocket knives that happen to open in a flashy way is way down there on the list of priorities.
    3. Autos are not easily detectable during shipment. They have no special scent or chemical signature, and even under X-ray would require intense scrutiny by someone with deep knowledge of pocket knives.
    4. Anyone wondering why sale to law enforcement still happens even though it's technically illegal needs to think about that whole dynamic for a moment and put 2 and 2 together. Just sayin'.

I should say enforcement does happen. You see the occasional sting operation come up, usually against large-scale sellers. There is always a risk, even if it is a small one. Just know the whole story before you act.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    I personally have quite a few automatics that I found while out for a walk. At least thats how I explain it when someone asks where I got them. The phrase "they were laying right next to these 30 thirty round mags".

(This paragraph does not apply to active duty military or LEO's because laws pertaining to them are very gray.) My personal opinon is anyone working for the DOD or has a security clearance would probably be smart not to mail order automatics knives. The paper trail you created with a clear shipping manifest/purchase order is a slamdunk case that could easily end your career. However unlikely it is still possible. Call me a legal beagle but well paying jobs are not easy to comeby these days and you always have to look out for number one. Now shipping them from say yourself while in florida to yourself here in MD is a whole other story with no paper trail. Technically it's the same thing but there is no clear shipping manifest/purchase order.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I've handled a couple Gerber FAST openers that have quicker deployment than Wave action or automatics. With practice they open while drawing from a pocket without the wear and tear on the material of a Wave action and smoother.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    OP, what model is it? I might know somebody who has a friend that probably would want to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom