• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So just to start this off, I know I will be preaching to the choir on this one but my ass hurts. I feel like I've just been raped.

I've been looking at getting a Springfield 1911 for some time now and after months of looking I was able to find one. There was only one available in Arizona so I decided to drop the hammer and buy it. Now knowing that the gun would not ship with a fired cartridge, I asked the seller to send it with one. They were happy to do so as that meant they could fire my gun.

After waiting a week for the thing to come in, the raping starts. I'm aware that I have to pay an ffl to transfer the fire arm. I'm aware that I have to fill out all of the required paper work and wait a week for the gun and I am fine with that. But what I am not ok with is the fact that the fired casings that came with the gun are useless as I'm told Maryland will not accept them. Now conveniently the shop I am buying it from can also provide a spent casing for a $25 fee. As it turns out this will be the most expensive 45 acp round that will ever be fired through the gun. I am raising the BS flag high on this one.

In addition to the spent casing fee, there are the taxes. Even though I bought the gun out of state, Maryland gets their 6%. What ever. Also I am told that I have to buy a $20 lock because the gun doesn't come with one.
    Now I've tried to find the law that regulates this with no avail. Can someone please show me a law where a gun has to be sold with a "bore lock" type of lock. I have found legislation that states that it must have an external lock (gun lock that goes through the magazine well and through the slide), which I can provide, but that's not good enough.

So after all things are said and done, I have taken and added $160 on to the cost of my gun which to say the least I am not happy with. When all things are said and done, I will not ever again buy another hand gun in this state and the first chance I get I'm leaving. This is just icing on the cake for me.

I'm not going to talk bad about the shop I'm getting the gun from, I understand that they are just doing what they are being told to do. But this sucks.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    § 5-132. Handgun safety devices.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Authorized user" means the owner of a handgun or a person authorized by the owner to possess and use the handgun.

(3) "External safety lock" means an external device that is:

(i) attached to a handgun with a key or combination lock; and

(ii) designed to prevent a handgun from being discharged unless the device has been deactivated.

(4) "Handgun" does not include a signal, starter, or blank pistol.

(5) "Handgun Roster Board" means the Handgun Roster Board established under § 5-404 of this title.

(6) "Integrated mechanical safety device" means a disabling or locking device that is:

(i) built into a handgun; and

(ii) designed to prevent the handgun from being discharged unless the device has been deactivated.

(7) "Personalized handgun" means a handgun manufactured with incorporated design technology that:

(i) allows the handgun to be fired only by the authorized user; and

(ii) prevents any of the safety characteristics of the handgun from being readily deactivated.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    (c) Restriction on sale, rent, or transfer of handguns.-

(1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

(2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    We have to pay a tax for something we bought out of state that does not have a local store (franchise wise)? That's new.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you could have save all the trouble by buying locally.. i know couple of the industry partners can special orders.

but take it as lesson learned.

welcome btw.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I got my SA loaded 1911 from GC. It had an internal lock built into the mainspring housing under the grip safety. Check to see if yours has it. Might save you a couple of bucks. It looks like a circle with 2 pin holes in it.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Thank you for the post showing the law. That is exactly what I found as well. But maybe I am not understanding the law then. The gun has an internal lock. But I don't understand why they have to sell me a $20 external lock. Why will a pad lock type of gun lock not suffice for a gun lock?

There is one that came with my XD and that was not good enough. I had to buy a bore lock. Can anyone shed some light on this?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    It's the LAW ...

(c) Restriction on sale, rent, or transfer of handguns.-

(1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

(2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

Yessir ... That's why I carry a universal barrel lock with me to every transaction. I would also consider sending it to an out-of-state FFL to install if I were ordering. It cost me $20 when I first bought it and it's saved me $20 or more with each subsequent purchase.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    you could have save all the trouble by buying locally.. i know couple of the industry partners can special orders.

but take it as lesson learned.

welcome btw.

I don't know if you have tried to buy a Springfield locally but I bought this one after canceling an order I had on for about 6 1/2 months. These things are just hard to find.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    But i guess I'm getting stuck on the details here. A pad lock gun lock that goes through the magazine well and locks up the action satisfies the above gun laws. But what I am being told is that it is not, and that I have to buy a bore lock.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The fired cartridge MUST come from an approved manufacturer, which includes Class (#) FFLs. Not just any fired case.

Like the lock requirement, it's a Maryland thing. Not right, just a Maryland thing.

Yes, you owe tax on an out of state purchase. I don't believe the receiving FFL has to collect it. (I know some do.) You are just supposed to vouluntarily send it in to Annapolis.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't know if you have tried to buy a Springfield locally but I bought this one after canceling an order I had on for about 6 1/2 months. These things are just hard to find.

gotcha..:thumbsup:

Tconfo got his from an industry partner.. but dont know how quick he found that..

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thank you for the post showing the law. That is exactly what I found as well. But maybe I am not understanding the law then. The gun has an internal lock. But I don't understand why they have to sell me a $20 external lock. Why will a pad lock type of gun lock not suffice for a gun lock?

There is one that came with my XD and that was not good enough. I had to buy a bore lock. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The internal lock must be built into the gun. An "off switch" if you will. This is different than the external safety lock like a cable lock.

The requirement for the bore lock, typically called an Omega lock, is actually an improvement over when the law was written as there were manfufacturers like Glock who refused to alter the design of their guns to comply with MD's law.

The handgun roster review board got the rules changed to allow for the Omega style lock, which put many models of guns back on the shelves.

Some dealers require the gun to have one of their Omega locks on the gun. Some dealers allow you to bring one in.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    In addition to the spent casing fee, there are the taxes. Even though I bought the gun out of state, Maryland gets their 6%.

BS. Where it is YOUR responsibility to pay taxes on that purchase, it is not the store's responsibility to collect taxes on the out of state purchase. As I understand it, the local FFL isn't selling you a gun; the out of state vendor sold you the gun. The local FFL is simply transferring the gun.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Who's making you pay the tax ? The FFL? Under what authority are they to collect tax for an out of state transaction.

ShiNNinG

Jul 14, 2008
    White Marsh
    1) The fired casing must be performed by a licensed FFL(not sure if an 01 can), sealed and properly labeled.
    2) Not sure about the lock, AFAIK it has to be integral, whatever that means.
    3) They should not be collecting taxes since they did not sell you the gun. They are merely transferring ownership. $10 MD app fee + whatever they wish to charge for their time.

That being said, it's their business, they can choose to screw their customers if they wish. If you feel screwed then you can take your business elsewhere. In this instance perhaps pay them to ship it to another FFL in the area who may serve you better, like Dan at GC. I've transferred several guns thru him without a single issue or complaint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom