• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Well I finally got one! Its small but still gonna be good eating...

Nice! Wsh I could shoot some on my property! Let me know how it tastes..

20131007_181609_zpscaba785e.jpg

20131007_181620_zps9c25afd4.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Virginia muzzleloader bear season starts on November 9th, one week after muzzleloader deer season starts. I'll be in the woods either way, but I'm not sure I want to see a bear with just one shot in my rifle.

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Was driving on I-68 last night at 6:30 p.m. about a mile from the rest area in Garrett county. Had a bear about 250 lb. run across the road in front of me. ABS brakes deployed and I have no idea how I missed the bear, I must have missed it by inches. Hard to do much at 72 mph.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Where in Idaho did you shoot him?

Im in the panhandle of Idaho. Thanks all...I feel privileged...theres a couple other friends that are hunting them as well and they haven't got one yet and they've been hunting them many years...its the driest season for bears they've had...

Ive got my eye on a couple more for next season! Spring bear is around the corner :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    yeah theres some nice ones out there...I have my eye on a couple for spring:D I was running out of opportunities and hunting days so It was this small one or nothing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    yeah there are cinnamon bears around my bait...this was last years cub...its been a rough season for bears and this one presented an opportunity to shoot it so I got her. I want to get a bigger one next spring.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    well I rendered the fat from my bear. Its supposed to make excellent baked goods so we'll see! Also have some cracklins...they are supposed to be good on salad:D

Attachments

• rendered fat.JPG
      rendered fat.JPG
      78.6 KB · Views: 282
    • cracklins.JPG
      cracklins.JPG
      88.4 KB · Views: 371

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well an update of sorts...April 15th opens spring bear season for a month. And I had an update from some close friends that said they were logging in the area where I had my bait last fall. So today I went up and they have that whole place butchered up...logs everywhere...trees gone...so the pic where you see the trees are no longer there:sad20: Kinda sad/mad...I dont know how long they will be there. I may still try to set up a bait but without cover I wont be doing anything...

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Well, the good thing about game cameras is that you can know ahead of time if your bait is being hit. Coming out of hibernation, they are going to want food anywhere they can find it. But, if the loggers are active, I can't imagine the bears being at your site.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well, the good thing about game cameras is that you can know ahead of time if your bait is being hit. Coming out of hibernation, they are going to want food anywhere they can find it. But, if the loggers are active, I can't imagine the bears being at your site.

Problem is going to be trying to find a good place to stash the bait. I have some alternate places to set up. It just disheartening having set it up good last fall and now not know if they will be pushed out cuz of the loggers..

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    That would be frustrating. The bears knew that spot and were acclimated and now it is disturbed beyond belief. Still, you could bait a few alternate areas and monitor them, then focus on the best for hunting.

Can you not hunt bear on your private property?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That would be frustrating. The bears knew that spot and were acclimated and now it is disturbed beyond belief. Still, you could bait a few alternate areas and monitor them, then focus on the best for hunting.

Can you not hunt bear on your private property?

Yeah once they are done logging I'll assess the situation.

As for hunting on private property...yes its allowed. Baiting is the issue...theres some rules on placing bait:

any water (lake, pond, reservoir, or year-round free-flowing
    stream or spring), or within 200 yards of any maintained trail
    or any road.
    • No bait site may be located within one-half mile of any
    designated campground or picnic area, administrative
    site, or dwelling.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Wow - you rendered alot of fat from that bear.
    And what part are the cracklins' made from?
    Sorry to hear that the loggers messed up your spot.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wow - you rendered alot of fat from that bear.
    And what part are the cracklins' made from?
    Sorry to hear that the loggers messed up your spot.

well the bear was little but had lots of fat...the fat is really good for making baked goods! cracklins are the leftover stuff from rendering the fat..some pieces of meat but mostly the cell structure after the fat is rendered.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Regarding baiting on the land you already own, is there any wiggle room if you have permission from the occupants of the dwelling in question?

Am I correct in assuming that by rendering the fat, you just heated it up to the melting point and then saved the liquified part?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Regarding baiting on the land you already own, is there any wiggle room if you have permission from the occupants of the dwelling in question?

Am I correct in assuming that by rendering the fat, you just heated it up to the melting point and then saved the liquified part?
    Interesting question. I will have to ask...but most likely its just to keep the bears from being a nuisance.

Yep basically drain it off and strain it through some cheesecloth, seal and process for 20min in boiling water. The fat adds flavor to baked goods IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom