• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpkills

Feb 12, 2019
    When is Maryland going to open up the bear season and give all residents of Allegany and Garrett County the chance to buy a bear permit? Living here, I think the population would support this with a limit on bears killed. I think it's time for the lottery to end. Too many bears running around up here.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I see bears from time to time but I think an open season might knock too many down. It seems dnr is keeping very good account of the population. I’ve drawn permits many times and now with the subs and primaries not having to hunt together it’s easy to get hunting. They are slowly making it more accessible and I believe if the numbers support it you’ll get what your hoping for. My biggest complaint all along is the days they choose. If it’s a four day season Saturday and Sunday should be part of that equation. I’ve never been able to hunt more than half of the available days in any given season. Get all your buddies to apply and pay the $15? each yourself. Odds are you’ll be hunting every season.
    GL

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The lottery, the short season, and not being able to hunt with bait will keep the Maryland bear harvest numbers dismally low. DNR needs to change the way Marylanders hunt bear.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I see no problem with a OTC permit open to Md'rs only and a three day season. And yes, you should be allowed to bait on private property. There are plenty of land owners in western Md who would benefit from this, whether they themselves hunt, or not.

Last edited:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Like everything else in this state, access to land to hunt is the real issue. Geese, deer, coyote. I could probably kill a billion of them from my deck. On public land, one, two maybe.

950 permits this year were awarded, 54 bears were killed, most on private land. https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2021/11/02/maryland-2021-black-bear-hunt-harvest-results-released/

That's a very low success rate. Hunting bears is hard.

Baiting works if you have a timer, which again requires private land. Without a timer, it tends to drive animals nocturnal. When I bait for deer I get tons of activity, at night, unless I have a timer stand set up.

No matter how many you are seeing (maybe the same one multiple times), I think the DNR wants the population to grow. You can now see them in Central MD, every year, when the cubs leave the den. I am convinced there is one or three living in Patapsco now.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My buddy lives in Clear spring and has bears all around. He sees them so much he carries a side arm hunting. He has applied for the permit for over 5 years at least, never got picked and I think he might have given up saying its a joke to make money for the DNR.

Every year you see people year getting permits with no place to hunt and begging to get a place. People with bear problems that can't get permits to manage the bears. The system works, but for something other than managing bears.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I'm chasing bears out of the campground daily. If anyone gets a permit next year. Pm me and ill set you up.

Also, please don't yell at me right now. I don't make regulations or policy, just a working stiff. I'm a steward of your lands. I never forget that....

mpkills

Feb 12, 2019
    When the hunt first started DNR recommended that baiting be allowed but the libby's downstate cried saying it wasn't fair to the little bears being baited! Baiting makes it so you can make and easier shot and better pick the one you want to harvest!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I disagree with a Bear Lottery.

Do the bears get an 800 number to call if they think they have gambling addiction?

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    Bear season needs to be lottery free. Let as many Marylanders buy permits for say $30.00. Out of State hunters say $150.00. Limit the season to three or four days and cut off the hunt when a pre-determined amount of bears are harvested. Allow baiting on private land. 'Nuff said.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Wife's uncle (lives western MD) was always telling me to apply for the lottery since DNR would give one to me since I live in Southern MD. I did get a permit after about 3 years and was actually surprised I met some other hunters from SOMD while up there??? I didn't get a bear but did answer the age old question "Does a bear sh!t in the woods?" no, he does in the DNR parking lot
    0738FAF6-94DD-485E-A42A-E2FEE530205A_1_201_a.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wife's uncle (lives western MD) was always telling me to apply for the lottery since DNR would give one to me since I live in Southern MD. I did get a permit after about 3 years and was actually surprised I met some other hunters from SOMD while up there??? I didn't get a bear but did answer the age old question "Does a bear sh!t in the woods?" no, he does in the DNR parking lot View attachment 370436
    That was a big FU to the DNR. :lol2:

beavisman1

Band Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 25, 2022
    Virginia
    I love hunting and fishing, but I can't imagine the bear population getting back solid enough to allow an open season even if its a short duration. Here's the thing, bear meat unless parboiled is gonna give you the craps for days....what's in it for the hunter. Id rather dine on pigs feet and hog jowls. Nothing personal, but bear, I assume due to their hibernation ability tastes like trash.

mpkills

Feb 12, 2019
    Yes, bear is greasy and awful if not prepared correctly! But het, they make nice rugs and mounts!

I'm chasing bears out of the campground daily. If anyone gets a permit next year. Pm me and ill set you up.

Also, please don't yell at me right now. I don't make regulations or policy, just a working stiff. I'm a steward of your lands. I never forget that....

Saw this while searching around on google and luckily enough I got a permit this year! Do you still need someone fill the permit at the campground, I would be happy to help. Not really sure how to pm I'm a new member.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Saw this while searching around on google and luckily enough I got a permit this year! Do you still need someone fill the permit at the campground, I would be happy to help. Not really sure how to pm I'm a new member.

Welcome.

I don't think you can send pm's yet, you'll have to keep participating for bit first.

After you have enough posts (50), you can click on the user's name and select 'start conversation'.

Participate in a few discussions and you'll be there before you know it.

Don't post one word replies or 'Me too' type stuff just to get your quota in quicker, some people do that and it doesn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom