• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ravens5785

Mar 12, 2013
    Hey guys I did a search and really couldn't an answer to my question. I recently purchased a lower receiver and now I'm getting ready to buy a complete upper. My question is can I buy an upper that has a m4 style barrel with the cutout on it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    Hey guys I did a search and really couldn't an answer to my question. I recently purchased a lower receiver and now I'm getting ready to buy a complete upper. My question is can I buy an upper that has a m4 style barrel with the cutout on it?

What do you mean? An M4 gas system or mid length gas system or what? Barrel length?

Feb 6, 2012
    As long as the length of the barrel exceeds 16 inches it is legal. If you have a 14.5 inch barrel you must have a flash-hider/muzzle-brake that makes up for the difference in length and it must be permanently attached to the barrel for it to be a standard long rifle. The gas system length does not affect legality.

However, I believe you are talking barrel profile. The profile of the barrel doesn't affect anything (besides rifle performance;) if you can legally purchase the lower, then any legalities concerning barrel profiles is irrelevant (regulated firearms vs non-regulated firearms.)

Ravens5785

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm sorry I didn't explain very well. I know I'm going to go with a carbine gas system and a 16'' barrel. I'm just not sure if the cutout on the barrel is ok to have. Legally speaking

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    as long as you not prohibited from owning a regulated gun in MD then you can put an M4 profile barrel on your gun. assuming you filled out a 77R to get the lower transferred to you legally in MD, then you are fine.

Ravens5785

Mar 12, 2013
    Yeah I can legally own a firearm this isn't my first. Just first AR. Bought it from The Gun Shop. So all paper work was done.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    the barrel cutout is for attaching M203 grenade launchers and is regularly referred to as an M4 profile barrel. The only time barrel profile makes a difference is when someone prefers to the colt HBAR or heavy barreled rifle version which is not regulated.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    To add to what everyone else has said; if you want a true M4 clone, the proper barrel is a 14.5" with the M203 cut and it needs a flash hider permanently pinned on to make the overall length a legal 16".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So far this discussion has been about "today thru 9/30/13" . Continuing that parameter , the question about "permitted to own a Regulated Weapon" was primarily to ensure that you were over 21 rather than 18-20yo .

After 10/01/13 thus will be a different conversation. Best bet is to aquire that upper before then.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    The only time barrel profile is really an issue is with a cash and carry H-BAR. Anything smaller than an H-BAR profile barrel on an H-BAR lower makes it a regulated firearm in MD. Pretty stupid, but hey. That's Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom