• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I pulled my one antler out of the compost pile this weekend. Sprayed the dirt out of it and put it on the roof to sun bleach. The head won't even stand on the teeth and falls over. Had to lean it against a plumbing vent to stand up. He's going to hang crooked on one of those skull racks in the garage.

I don't think I'll be hanging anything on him and I don't think he is going to hang evenly himself

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
      IMG_2043.jpeg
      917.9 KB · Views: 45
    Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I pulled my one antler out of the compost pile this weekend. Sprayed the dirt out of it and put it on the roof to sun bleach. The head won't even stand on the teeth and falls over. Had to lean it against a plumbing vent to stand up. He's going to hang crooked on one of those skull racks in the garage.

I don't think I'll me hanging anything on him and I don't think he is going to hang evenly himself
    Powdered bleach and 40%hydrogen peroxide into a paste let it sit for 24hrs will whiten it up. May need 2 applications

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Meh, they hang in the detached garage, workshop and it can sit on the roof for half the winter and bleach in the sun. It was buried in the compost from 12/1 until this weekend. I got lots of time. A bunch of the brown is dirt I wasn't bothering to scrub off, let momma nature clean it for me.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

I don't think I'll be hanging anything on him and I don't think he is going to hang evenly himself
    I've made replacement antlers for people. It ain't cheap though. :)

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Still trying to figure out if this was a Disney party in the woods or if the racoons were trying to get human centipede type thing going...

Disney critters.png

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

A farmer told me of a trick he uses by placing the deer head in his pond

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Meh, they hang in the detached garage, workshop and it can sit on the roof for half the winter and bleach in the sun. It was buried in the compost from 12/1 until this weekend. I got lots of time. A bunch of the brown is dirt I wasn't bothering to scrub off, let momma nature clean it for me.
    I piled these out of my way not long ago and they're starting to green up some. Along the woods and out of the sun which will bleach them white as a ghost with little effort around here. Probably some sika in there too.

Its not about where they come from.
    It wheres they're going in the end.
    Roof tops matter, love it.

Attachments

• Green Horns.jpg
      Green Horns.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 61

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I piled these out of my way not long ago and they're starting to green up some. Along the woods and out of the sun which will bleach them white as a ghost with little effort around here. Probably some sika in there too.

Its not about where they come from.
    It wheres they're going in the end.
    Roof tops matter, love it.
    Look at you! How big it that darn freezer?

I've made replacement antlers for people. It ain't cheap though. :)
    Maybe I'll drill a hole in the nub and drop some rebar in it. Maybe weld some scrap to look like a rack and balance him. :D

Amagalous

Oct 11, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    I work on Fort Detrick. I wish we could get permission to hunt here, because EVERY single night I see deer in the security cameras. Also in my neighborhood, I can walk on the walking trail and will usually jump 4 to 6.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm finally on the board. A meat doe is going into the freezer
    Congrats! Anything you can eat counts.

My neighbor just asked if I was hunting this year, because they have a gift certificate for a wild game processor.

Why yes sir I am, and I've love an excuse to harvest an extra deer this year. And no, sir, I don't need to split one, you can have it. Because I have a lot in the freezer still (that last buck last season was unexpected and HUGE). So, at best I can fit one good sized deer. Maybe 2 if we eat a lot of venison the next couple of months for a 2nd towards the end of the season. Upside, my wife has told me to take the chest freezer in the divorce when I move out.

Downside, she really doesn't want any venison in the future. Not that she won't eat it. Mostly she doesn't cook a ton with meat.

Something tells me she is going to change her tune when she realizes how tight her budget is going to be and that my meat is free (not a sex joke. Okay, it was a joke, but damnit, how can I not make it?).

But since I was mostly the cook in the family anyway, if the kids aren't eating much meat when they are with her, that just means I am probably cooking a lot more meat the weeks I have my kids. So, it probably won't reduce how much venison I go through in a year. At least not much. And maybe future neighbors can be turned on to venison.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The shakes. Anyone else get them? Maybe just not something I notice nearly as much when I am hunting. I for sure get them, but they usually seem pretty mild and I can almost always control them for a few seconds for a shot. Most of the time, if I can take my time with a shot I can relax and get rid of them almost completely after a couple of minutes (like if I have time with deer on a feeder). Anyway, just watching a lot of hunting youtube and noticed a heck of a lot of the guys who are filming all of the shot and time surrounding it have the shakes. But it seems like way worse than what I get. Maybe I am just not noticing it, even after the shot, but a lot of them seem like they are trembling like a leaf, even during a shot.

Maybe mine are that bad and I am just not noticing it. *shrug*

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Its all adrenaline. I don't get them before the shot, maybe a bit on first sighting, but not always and not bad. After the shot I have had them though like being cold and shivering. Doesn't happen much any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom