• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 15, 2024
    Frederick County
    This.
    I’ve been doing Euro only for the last six to seven years. It’s best if you cut off as much skin/meat/eyes/brains/lower jaw as soon as possible. Preferably, same day as kill. It makes it SO much easier when ever you finally get around to working on the skull - even if it’s weeks later.
    Long forceps work best to pull brain and membrane from inside the skull. You can get them cheap on Amazon. I’ve also found the gel hydrogen peroxide from the beauty salon distributors works best.
    I’ve never had any issues with broken nasal bones…yet.
    Below are two bucks from this year - pre hydrogen peroxide. I’ll eventually finish them this Spring/Summer. Maybe… :D
    Those are a couple of nice looking bucks, good job!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This.
    I’ve been doing Euro only for the last six to seven years. It’s best if you cut off as much skin/meat/eyes/brains/lower jaw as soon as possible. Preferably, same day as kill. It makes it SO much easier when ever you finally get around to working on the skull - even if it’s weeks later.
    Long forceps work best to pull brain and membrane from inside the skull. You can get them cheap on Amazon. I’ve also found the gel hydrogen peroxide from the beauty salon distributors works best.
    I’ve never had any issues with broken nasal bones…yet.
    Below are two bucks from this year - pre hydrogen peroxide. I’ll eventually finish them this Spring/Summer. Maybe… :D
    The long forceps are great. But what also works well is a hose with a high pressure attachment (you don't really need a pressure washer). That'll blast most of the brain matter out of the skull as well as the junk in the nose.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You guys are funny. I just bury them in the dirt, or compost, and dig them up before hunting season next year. Yeah, they are dirty, but the bugs do all the work. Then the sun works them on the roof and to the rain wash the dirt off and sun to whiten them some. I thought about bleaching, but ah, they are in the garage.

I watched my buddy boil one and clean it and get tired and throw it in the woods and picked it up next summer and it was clean. :D Daddy always said work smart, not hard.

Attachments

• IMG_2043_1 (Small).jpg
      IMG_2043_1 (Small).jpg
      126.7 KB · Views: 35
    • Screenshot (Small).jpg
      Screenshot (Small).jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 38
    Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I got a leftover from the PA muzzleloader season.

Someone shot a doe high behind the shoulder and the doe decided to expire in the flower bed at the back of my PA home.

The dogs had a field day while we were there :mad54:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Those are a couple of nice looking bucks, good job!
    Thanks! Both are only 14” I.S., but the mass showed they were mature. 14”-16” is about all I see around here in the day. Trail cameras catch some NICE ones in the middle of the night.
    One of these days… :D

The long forceps are great. But what also works well is a hose with a high pressure attachment (you don't really need a pressure washer). That'll blast most of the brain matter out of the skull as well as the junk in the nose.
    Agreed. I already have the pressure washer out, so I just put a lower pressure nozzle on for specific areas.

You guys are funny. I just bury them in the dirt, or compost, and dig them up before hunting season next year. Yeah, they are dirty, but the bugs do all the work. Then the sun works them on the roof and to the rain wash the dirt off and sun to whiten them some. I thought about bleaching, but ah, they are in the garage.

I watched my buddy boil one and clean it and get tired and throw it in the woods and picked it up next summer and it was clean. :D Daddy always said work smart, not hard.
    Yep. I prefer doing it like this. The ones left outside/underground are all white (I like the contrast of the brown antlers). Plus, I don’t have any rodents chewing on the antlers for calcium (I’ll have to take a picture of that one and post it).
    I have about 3-4hrs into each skull. Spread over two or three days usually. Drinking and enjoying time outside. It’s really very easy!

Awesome! I’d expect nothing less from you, sir :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! Both are only 14” I.S., but the mass showed they were mature. 14”-16” is about all I see around here in the day. Trail cameras catch some NICE ones in the middle of the night.
    One of these days… :D

Agreed. I already have the pressure washer out, so I just put a lower pressure nozzle on for specific areas.

Yep. I prefer doing it like this. The ones left outside/underground are all white (I like the contrast of the brown antlers). Plus, I don’t have any rodents chewing on the antlers for calcium (I’ll have to take a picture of that one and post it).
    I have about 3-4hrs into each skull. Spread over two or three days usually. Drinking and enjoying time outside. It’s really very easy!

Awesome! I’d expect nothing less from you, sir :D
    Squirrels chew the antlers on anything left outside here. Former owner left a couple small 6 and 8 point antlers and skull caps on the shed. 5 years later it is down to a one and a two point respectively. There was damage already when I moved in.

That is something that makes me wary of leaving them outside unless protected in someway (like a bucket with a rock.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    This is the last antlered buck I picked up on my trail cam on 2/9. Then this past Wednesday, I was out dispatching a coon I had trapped and looked down and found this shed. Who knows how many times I had walked right passed it??? Been there for a bit from the looks of the amount the the rodents had chewed off.

Attachments

• IMG_7207.jpeg
      IMG_7207.jpeg
      285.7 KB · Views: 30
    • IMG_7204.jpeg
      IMG_7204.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 29

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Got my 2nd day of the season euro velvet mount back from Jason Rizzo Friday. No complaints.

Attachments

• 8BA38D41-913D-49AC-9268-0CC2D086D1A1.jpeg
      8BA38D41-913D-49AC-9268-0CC2D086D1A1.jpeg
      607.3 KB · Views: 25

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I was in the compost pile to get dirt for kale seedlings. The December bucks antlers showed to I dug him up. Nope, not ready. Nose and all front skin gone. Eye sockets and brain not empty and skin stuck to the back of the head. Bugs and worms need to get to work

Attachments

• IMG_2566.jpeg
      IMG_2566.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 17

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I was in the compost pile to get dirt for kale seedlings. The December bucks antlers showed to I dug him up. Nope, not ready. Nose and all front skin gone. Eye sockets and brain not empty and skin stuck to the back of the head. Bugs and worms need to get to work
    Those LAZY bastards. No one wants to work any longer. :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You'd be better off skinning the head and removing the eyes before you stick it into the pile Rob.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    F that, They bugs got to do their bit too!!! I am about easy, how easy can my life be if the bugs eat all the She-it off instead of me skinning it!!! I mean, I am planting crap now. Anything pisses me off and ventilation is in order. :D

Time! It make everything right! That head, both heads, just need more time. :lol2:

I forgot to mention, That MF'er stinks. Had to bury it just for that. :D

I'm trolling, in case anyone does not notice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    F that, They bugs got to do their bit too!!! I am about easy, how easy can my life be if the bugs eat all the She-it off instead of me skinning it!!! I mean, I am planting crap now. Anything pisses me off and ventilation is in order. :D

Time! It make everything right! That head, both heads, just need more time. :lol2:

I forgot to mention, That MF'er stinks. Had to bury it just for that. :D

I'm trolling, in case anyone does not notice.
    Lol!

The more chit you leave on that skull to rot, the more that rotting chit will soak into the skull and mold. You will not get some of that stain out.

Ax me how I know...

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Meh, they are just fine and no one complains when they are on the garage wall collecting spider webs. :D

Later they go on the roof to bleach in the sun. I have never bleached on yet and they do have some dirt that doesn't wash off. But I am fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom