• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abuck

Ultimate Member
    What are you shooting? And the fact that "the practice tips fly the same as the actual broadheads" is meaningless. You want a broadhead that flies and hits the same as a field point.
    Rage 2 blade crossbow heads. They have a practice tip included. These and the hunting heads hit the same. It’s a huge reason to like using them. I just won’t anymore if these can’t kill effectively at a very high rate of probability. I did my job, the broadhead did not. So no matter how well they shoot I won’t be using them anymore.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks, but no luck. I even drove around to make sure it didn’t run out of the patch of woods and drop in a yard or cemetery. We have a flock of Turkey vultures in a tree a block down. I’ll keep an eye on them and see if it turns up. Between them, the bears, and coyotes, it’s not going to lay long if it doesn’t make it. I’m torn, as I don’t want it laying suffering, but as mentioned, their capacity to heal is incredible. And the way it ran, and how far, without stopping, gives me a little hope.

Yes, I love that the mechanical practice tips fly the same as the actual broadheads. That is a huge plus. That, and the massive cutting area when they do deploy. There is usually just a red stream to follow a short distance. This time they just did not open. I had checked them before the shot, I don’t know why they failed.

I just don’t trust them now. And so many others seem to feel the same way. For standard broadheads I've always just used one as a practice head. They do tear up the targets a bit quicker though. I watched the sales and years ago got a few sets of the Rage crossbow heads, a few types of standard types, 100 and 150 grain, plus have a ton of older ones. I actually had a bolt with a non mechanical in my hand before the shot. Now I wish I just would have loaded that. My shots here are close in, so it’s not a huge difference for point of aim.

A buddy and I used to be the trackers for his family, several brothers and their father. I know losing some is part of hunting. But it still sucks being “that” guy.
    I am sorry. So far I’ve not lost one I had proof I hit. But I had a real bad hit last year that was hours tracking and she was still alive. She barely made it off the shelf and down in to the creek when I got within about 10yds of her and put another bolt in to her. I doubt she would have made it back out of the creek anyway, but I couldn’t watch her suffer and mine was a gut and liver hit so she wasn’t surviving it. I am still torn up about it. I hate hurting them. I’d rather one pull through rather than suffer and die. But I’d rather just put them down fast and clean. But I doubt anyone has ever managed that every time if they hunted long enough. Just take some solace that you tried your best and put in every effort and she probably is already on the mend.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    The intestines settle into the ribcage area when hung head down. The fish are easier to get. You will work blind so be careful if you put a knife in the cavity at the same time as your pulling hand.
    Rgr. Thanks for the heads up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can dig it. The doe I just killed can't be more than 70 pounds.
    On a different note, I think I'm going to try a different way to field dress her. Every time I cut around the ******* first, I get raisinettes on the inside. I think I either will be cutting the ******* out last so I can pull any fecal matter away from falling out, or try the gutless method. I'm torn. Lol
    Get a butt out. Search for it on Amazon (probably elsewhere too). Works perfectly. Bring two zip ties. Opened the deer up, cut the diaphragm, cut the esophagus, stick the butt out up the anus, twist about 1.5 times and pull out medium hard. It’ll yank about 3-5” of colon and intestine out. Tie two zip ties at a spot about an inch apart, cut off the intestine, slit and remove the part you took off on the butt out and proceed to yank the entrails out and the large intestines will come straight out with nothing left attach and no crap left in the deer. Way easier than trying to cut out the anus. I’ve been using mine for 5 seasons now. Best $8 I’ve ever spent.

These days I typically spend more time preparing to field dress a deer than I do dressing it. I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row first so I don’t get goosed :-)

Been a couple times I’ve forgotten a prep step and it’s sucked. Like taking my FOOKING WATCH OFF FIRST. Man that sucks when you are cleaning blood and tallow off your watch later. All the little nooks and crannies of it. I did that last year and I spent 2 hours getting it all the way clean. So I usually spend a solid 10 minutes laying out the few things I need, going over my check list in my head, taking a swig of water, making sure the deer is positioned just right, go take a piss near by, setup a work light from a tree branch if it is dark, make sure it’s tagged and/or the harvest reported, layout my knife, gloves, zip lock bag to put my folding knife and gloves in after ward, deer drag harness out, butt out to the side then double check I’ve actually done all of that.

Oh, and I forgot to put my keys, wallet, cellphone and FOOKING WATCH in my pack. Gotta do that. Okay, and now go.

Dressing is generally a 4-5 minute process if I don’t run in tow snag.

Amazon product ASIN B002ECKYSA

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hang her head down, do it gutless.
    That’s faster, easier, and less messy. But you still end up leaving meat behind as you can’t easily work over the entire carcass and get at the paunch without removing the guts. My favorite part of archery is there is so little meat damage. It seems that much more of a shame to leave organs or meat you could salvage.

Now if you are quartering in the field, for sure. I’d just quarter, grab the back strap, and I would slit the abdomen to grab out the tenderloins. Just shift the guts to get at them. But I’d only do that if I had to like there is no way to drag the animal to where I can take it home to properly butcher it. Or I am not allowed to, like a CWD zone.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I am sorry. So far I’ve not lost one I had proof I hit. But I had a real bad hit last year that was hours tracking and she was still alive. She barely made it off the shelf and down in to the creek when I got within about 10yds of her and put another bolt in to her. I doubt she would have made it back out of the creek anyway, but I couldn’t watch her suffer and mine was a gut and liver hit so she wasn’t surviving it. I am still torn up about it. I hate hurting them. I’d rather one pull through rather than suffer and die. But I’d rather just put them down fast and clean. But I doubt anyone has ever managed that every time if they hunted long enough. Just take some solace that you tried your best and put in every effort and she probably is already on the mend.
    Thanks. It sucks. I’m just amazed at how much they can take, and how far they can travel. Several times through the years a well hit rifle season deer went incredible distances, up and down hills, through streams, thickets, etc. We had one go over 100 yards after a 308 shredded it’s heart. Most of the time I’ve seen broadheads bring them down in less distance. Except when there is an issue on hit location, or something like this.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Have butchered a couple as they hung. I’m just way more comfortable breaking the carcass in to parts and taking my time separating and slicing. Even when it’s multiples of deer. Sitting at a table trimming has always been a nice way to get and keep any kids involved as well.

Always had the guts out by then though. To each their own.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks. It sucks. I’m just amazed at how much they can take, and how far they can travel. Several times through the years a well hit rifle season deer went incredible distances, up and down hills, through streams, thickets, etc. We had one go over 100 yards after a 308 shredded it’s heart. Most of the time I’ve seen broadheads bring them down in less distance. Except when there is an issue on hit location, or something like this.
    Yeah. My doe last night went all of 70yds trucking after my arrow almost cut the top of her heart off. It didn’t help she was facing her escape route. I probably should have waited till she faced the other way as my experience is most head back the direction the came from when wounded at least 2 out 3. And 1 in 2 of those others head vaguely the same direction they came from even if it isn’t exactly the same way. Which leaves about 1 in 6 that head a random direction.

It doesn’t mean they’ll KEEP heading the same direction after 10 or 20 yds. They might take a totally different path. I realize I only have 7 seasons of hunting in, but that is a cumulative 17 deer I think? Of the ones that made it any distance at all (off the top of my head. 15 of them weren’t DRT/paralyzed) 5 of them didn’t hear back on almost the same path. And 2 of those 5 headed vaguely in the same direction. Only 3 of them basically headed a random direction or the dedication they were already walking. Only one I jumped bedded. So all the rest I saw come in and were feeding or waking by.

Anyway, also my limited experience, deer are damned fast, but if you have them pointed the “wrong way” for their escape route, they waste a solid second, or more if they stumble, spinning to bolt off. It doesn’t sound like much, but a deer covers almost 20yds a second at full tilt. Makes the tracking job that much shorter, closer to where they were hit for the blood trail to start, more likely to stay on whatever property you can be hunting, more likely to drop within sight, etc. of course plenty of times you can’t try to have them turned around. Generally only if they came in to a feed spot or you catch them browsing along as they walk.

Last winter my last doe was a good sized lady. 6.5 Grendel was a clear pass through and it vaporized one lung, her liver was pulped and torn in half, and it burst her rumen and dragged 5” of intestine out the exit hole and plugged it. She managed to run about 300 yds before she dropped. She was banking around some as she ran. So that was probably a solid 30 second run before she dropped. I’ve got no clue how she had the blood pressure not to have passed out in single digit seconds.

PS I just realized at this point only 5 of my 17 deer have been with a pew pew of some sort. ML, shotgun or rifle. All the rest have been crossbow. I really wish I could hunt with a firearm on my property. Oh well. Some year I’ll hopefully own a big enough property I can.

Last edited:

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    60CE8A7F-296B-41EB-BEBF-8A61C690DDD2.jpeg

Got this one tonight just before heading in. Had doe come in but she kept looking behind her. Decided to take the bigger deer. 4 pointer. Not the biggest rack but filling freezer for winter. # 5 for the season, first buck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Rage 2 blade crossbow heads. They have a practice tip included. These and the hunting heads hit the same. It’s a huge reason to like using them. I just won’t anymore if these can’t kill effectively at a very high rate of probability. I did my job, the broadhead did not. So no matter how well they shoot I won’t be using them anymore.
    Check the shock collar. There is a difference in the performance.

My crossbow is rated for 375 fps. I do not use the Rage rubber band or red shock collar, as they provide inconsistent results for me.

I use the black plastic standard shock collars, that will allows the blades to deploy easily. I usually get 2 shots out of each black shock collar.

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    If you've never read my experiences with Rages, I tried them for two years when they were 'all the Rage'(pun intended). I think I shot 5 deer with them. These were all good kill shots with any normal broadhead. I lost all but one deer, which was a spine shot. The rest, gone. In the middle of the second season, I switched back to Muzzys and started killing deer again.

Later on, gave the Shwackers a try and I was very impressed. Even with marginal shots, something we all try to avoid, they proved fatal. 90% of the deer I have shot have died within eyeshot. The blades are resharpenable and replaceable.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I can dig it. The doe I just killed can't be more than 70 pounds.
    On a different note, I think I'm going to try a different way to field dress her. Every time I cut around the ******* first, I get raisinettes on the inside. I think I either will be cutting the ******* out last so I can pull any fecal matter away from falling out, or try the gutless method. I'm torn. Lol
    If I shoot it on property I usually will just huff the entire deer whole up to my garage setup. Doing the entire process on a gambrel is pretty clean. Poop falls away into the cart underneath and from that angle you can just use the butt out/ass reamer and tie off on the inside before pulling things out. This way I can place the entire gut pile next to my neighbor the Lorax's property line so the wind carries that lovely scent to him.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I shoot it on property I usually will just huff the entire deer whole up to my garage setup. Doing the entire process on a gambrel is pretty clean. Poop falls away into the cart underneath and from that angle you can just use the butt out/ass reamer and tie off on the inside before pulling things out. This way I can place the entire gut pile next to my neighbor the Lorax's property line so the wind carries that lovely scent to him.
    I never worry too much about gut piles. I don't want to leave it right in my neighbor's yard (since they are all giving me permission to retrieve on their property/hunt on mine). But crows, vultures, racoons, and fox generally take care of it within 24hrs.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I never worry too much about gut piles. I don't want to leave it right in my neighbor's yard (since they are all giving me permission to retrieve on their property/hunt on mine). But crows, vultures, racoons, and fox generally take care of it within 24hrs.
    I'm not leaving it there out of love. Not a permission issue since all spots exceed 150 yards from his place by a few hundred yards +. But I've also never seen a gut pile last more than a day. The foxes go to town quick.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Yeah. My doe last night went all of 70yds trucking after my arrow almost cut the top of her heart off. It didn’t help she was facing her escape route. I probably should have waited till she faced the other way as my experience is most head back the direction the came from when wounded at least 2 out 3. And 1 in 2 of those others head vaguely the same direction they came from even if it isn’t exactly the same way. Which leaves about 1 in 6 that head a random direction.

It doesn’t mean they’ll KEEP heading the same direction after 10 or 20 yds. They might take a totally different path. I realize I only have 7 seasons of hunting in, but that is a cumulative 17 deer I think? Of the ones that made it any distance at all (off the top of my head. 15 of them weren’t DRT/paralyzed) 5 of them didn’t hear back on almost the same path. And 2 of those 5 headed vaguely in the same direction. Only 3 of them basically headed a random direction or the dedication they were already walking. Only one I jumped bedded. So all the rest I saw come in and were feeding or waking by.

Anyway, also my limited experience, deer are damned fast, but if you have them pointed the “wrong way” for their escape route, they waste a solid second, or more if they stumble, spinning to bolt off. It doesn’t sound like much, but a deer covers almost 20yds a second at full tilt. Makes the tracking job that much shorter, closer to where they were hit for the blood trail to start, more likely to stay on whatever property you can be hunting, more likely to drop within sight, etc. of course plenty of times you can’t try to have them turned around. Generally only if they came in to a feed spot or you catch them browsing along as they walk.

Last winter my last doe was a good sized lady. 6.5 Grendel was a clear pass through and it vaporized one lung, her liver was pulped and torn in half, and it burst her rumen and dragged 5” of intestine out the exit hole and plugged it. She managed to run about 300 yds before she dropped. She was banking around some as she ran. So that was probably a solid 30 second run before she dropped. I’ve got no clue how she had the blood pressure not to have passed out in single digit seconds.

PS I just realized at this point only 5 of my 17 deer have been with a pew pew of some sort. ML, shotgun or rifle. All the rest have been crossbow. I really wish I could hunt with a firearm on my property. Oh well. Some year I’ll hopefully own a big enough property I can.
    The doe yesterday I waited on for a bit, until it was facing where I wanted it to face, and run, after the shot. But it did a 90 degree turn, ran 40 yds, and another 90 back to where I hoped. With a 10 ft deep, 20 ft wide gulley to cross that should have used up a bunch of adrenaline and remaining blood flow, if the broadhead had cut efficiently.

Check the shock collar. There is a difference in the performance.
    My crossbow is rated for 375 fps. I do not use the Rage rubber band or red shock collar, as they provide inconsistent results for me.

I use the black plastic standard shock collars, that will allows the blades to deploy easily. I usually get 2 shots out of each black shock collar.

I have older Rage with the rubber grommets, and some spares yet. But I have the Rage Crossbow X (the one that just failed) and the 2.3” Rage SLIPCAM Xtreme that use those plastic collars.

If you've never read my experiences with Rages, I tried them for two years when they were 'all the Rage'(pun intended). I think I shot 5 deer with them. These were all good kill shots with any normal broadhead. I lost all but one deer, which was a spine shot. The rest, gone. In the middle of the second season, I switched back to Muzzys and started killing deer again.

Later on, gave the Shwackers a try and I was very impressed. Even with marginal shots, something we all try to avoid, they proved fatal. 90% of the deer I have shot have died within eyeshot. The blades are resharpenable and replaceable.

Normally the Rage have served me well. But this is the second time I had a chest shot deer disappear. Once is an anomaly, twice is a problem. I know a bunch of others that have switched because of losing deer, and I understand that. Shooting a Parker cyclone, rated at 330fps (even if it’s not that, I’m sure it’s still over 300) at 15 yds, a broadhead in the chest should be fatal, in a reasonable distance. It’s a shame, as normally it has been a quick, efficient, very easy to track, kill.

The Shwackers look interesting. But I have heads now that I can adjust point of aim to and get back to hunting now.

I have access to larger pieces of private property that I have to travel to. But I’d like to also hunt the limited access right in my back yard. Without the animal causing me to cross deep in to the neighbors looking for it. As of now I have that permission, I see losing animals as a way to get that revoked.

It’s nice to see some getting to fill the freezers. Good job!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So what will be your fixed go to?
    I’ve never lost one with a bow with grim reapers. I’ve lost 2 with a shotgun and 1 last year with the 350 legend. That being said the 350 NAILED it. That loss is 100% my fault. Died in a gully 50 yards from where i shot it. I tracked the wrong deer. I didn’t know there were two right next to eachother. No blood at all though.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I’ve never lost one with a bow with grim reapers. I’ve lost 2 with a shotgun and 1 last year with the 350 legend. That being said the 350 NAILED it. That loss is 100% my fault. Died in a gully 50 yards from where i shot it. I tracked the wrong deer. I didn’t know there were two right next to eachother. No blood at all though.
    I prefer the 444 Marlin, especially with 300 gr hand loads. The closest neighbors might not lol. But that does anchor them pretty well.

Have had deer like that, one shot in a bunch. Again, it’s amazing how they can travel after a fatal hit. It can be hard when there is little to no blood. Then having just one or two good trackers is better than a bunch of people stomping all over.

I once stumbled on one hit in both lungs with a 35 earlier that morning. Couldn’t even back track it, as it only bled internally. When we cut it open blood poured out of the cavity and lungs.

I found it when I switched with a driver, and climbed down deep into a pine swamp creek bed for my turn as a driver. We looked and looked, my buddy said no way he missed it, but he had to have, since we tracked it and there wasn’t a drop of blood. He didn’t.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I prefer the 444 Marlin, especially with 300 gr hand loads. The closest neighbors might not lol. But that does anchor them pretty well.

Have had deer like that, one shot in a bunch. Again, it’s amazing how they can travel after a fatal hit. It can be hard when there is little to no blood. Then having just one or two good trackers is better than a bunch of people stomping all over.

I once stumbled on one hit in both lungs with a 35 earlier that morning. Couldn’t even back track it, as it only bled internally. When we cut it open blood poured out of the cavity and lungs.

I found it when I switched with a driver, and climbed down deep into a pine swamp creek bed for my turn as a driver. We looked and looked, my buddy said no way he missed it, but he had to have, since we tracked it and there wasn’t a drop of blood. He didn’t.
    Mine on Monday! I shot the shoulder front to back, normally wouldn’t do that but i tried to let her pass. After 30 mins i shoulder shot her front to back. Got one lung. Large intestine covered the exit hole. Blood was drip, drip, drip but when i got to dressing her it was A LOT!

Off topic rant non hunters don’t realize how much work it is. I had to track through 75 yards of dense young bamboo and stickers. Couldn’t find blood for the first 50 yards then after finding it had to low crawl through that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom