• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Gun-rights activists rally in Annapolis
    Second amendment supporters threaten political retribution for new gun law

Erin Cox is usually pretty balanced ... no comments yet. Hit it ...

Gun control advocates who worked to pass the law said polls consistently show widespread public support for it.

According to WaPo and B'Sun bogus polls, but I digress ... Let's see how widespread they are once the totality of progressive/liberalism in the PRofMD sinks in this November.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This is of course pure conjecture on my part, but I believe the vast majority of Maryland inhabitants who live in metropolitan areas are anti-gun. This has alot to do with the constant media bombardment of liberal ideas, but it's also got alot to do with the fact that most have never had any direct contact with a gun.

I realize I probably sound like a broken record on this, but I think that if pro-gun folks start inviting their anti-gun friends (you do have anti-gun friends, don't you?) to a free day at a gun range, they'll do more to open their minds than complaining or showing up in Annapolis. It seems to me that if we don't find a way to win the hearts 'n' minds of the average Maryland tax payer, I fear that Maryland'll be a functionally dry (i.e., gun-free) state in 20 years.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    This is of course pure conjecture on my part, but I believe the vast majority of Maryland inhabitants who live in metropolitan areas are anti-gun. This has alot to do with the constant media bombardment of liberal ideas, but it's also got alot to do with the fact that most have never had any direct contact with a gun.

I realize I probably sound like a broken record on this, but I think that if pro-gun folks start inviting their anti-gun friends (you do have anti-gun friends, don't you?) to a free day at a gun range, they'll do more to open their minds than complaining or showing up in Annapolis. It seems to me that if we don't find a way to win the hearts 'n' minds of the average Maryland tax payer, I fear that Maryland'll be a functionally dry (i.e., gun-free) state in 20 years.

just about everyone here has tried. Problem is most anti's are libs and they don't think by using facts and reality, they think with emotion and fantasy and whatever else the media tells them to

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My brother-in-law is strongly anti-gun. He's a 100% bleeding heart liberal in every way, but his absolute hatred of guns comes from the fact that when he was 19 his best friend blew out his brains with a shotgun and my BIL was the first to find him. There's no getting over that with a friendly invite to the range.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My brother-in-law is strongly anti-gun. He's a 100% bleeding heart liberal in every way, but his absolute hatred of guns comes from the fact that when he was 19 his best friend blew out his brains with a shotgun and my BIL was the first to find him. There's no getting over that with a friendly invite to the range.

I had a high school teacher who hated guns for a very similar reason. I tried one time to explain to her how a tragedy like that is not the fault of the physical object (in this case a gun) but there was no changing her mind so I never brought the subject up again.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I had a high school teacher who hated guns for a very similar reason. I tried one time to explain to her how a tragedy like that is not the fault of the physical object (in this case a gun) but there was no changing her mind so I never brought the subject up again.

Blameing the object gets everyone off the hook. Including those who think they are partially at fault...

Not fixable with out professional help. And personally I would never put a gun in the hands of such a person unless they worked though that issue... too raw.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

It's more than winning their hearts and minds over to guns ... if the fear of guns is their demotivation. However, IMHO there is a shift happening which comes from the basic mistrust of the politicians and government in MD and nationally.

The politicians and media have long fed their gun fear, but never offered any tangible, workable solution, except more do-nothing laws ... FSA2013 and The Mall shooting being a case in point. If we can draw parallels to those do-nothing laws to 'other' feel-good, but do-nothing laws including the associated taxes to support them, we can counter the emotionalism with the pocket-book realities that they have been duped by fear mongering politicos who are only looking to hold onto their power and their constituents wallets. Then it's a short mental jump for them (rather than a quantum metaphysical leap) to having an epiphany regarding the REAL meaning of 2A. We can spout all day long about self-defense as it relates to defending against tyranny, but until they recognize present day tyranny in it's softer, gentler form (to twist a phrase of Mark Levin), they will just roll their eyes until it's too late and they're left wondering WTF happened.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's more than winning their hearts and minds over to guns ... if the fear of guns is their demotivation. However, IMHO there is a shift happening which comes from the basic mistrust of the politicians and government in MD and nationally.

The politicians and media have long fed their gun fear, but never offered any tangible, workable solution, except more do-nothing laws ... FSA2013 and The Mall shooting being a case in point. If we can draw parallels to those do-nothing laws to 'other' feel-good, but do-nothing laws including the associated taxes to support them, we can counter the emotionalism with the pocket-book realities that they have been duped by fear mongering politicos who are only looking to hold onto their power and their constituents wallets. Then it's a short mental jump for them (rather than a quantum metaphysical leap) to having an epiphany regarding the REAL meaning of 2A. We can spout all day long about self-defense as it relates to defending against tyranny, but until they recognize present day tyranny in it's softer, gentler form (to twist a phrase of Mark Levin), they will just roll their eyes until it's too late and they're left wondering WTF happened.

There is a reason it works. They want it to work. They want to believe in magic. Trust me--- no talk of the true meaning of 2a will make a dent in their self delusion. Until the reason for the self delision goes away they will maintain it all the way to the gas chamber. Belive it. It has happened before and it will happen again.. it is the way humans protect themselves physcologically.

It really does require a guantum leap. And in many cases it reguires a method of dealing with the real fear or trauma before it can be done. In some cases bursting the delusion can result psychological trauma... it's really is nothing to fool with.

Recall cat lady from last session.... recall folks threating violence in the name of piece...

We are looking for the ones that are not delusional... they are the ones that shrug and ingore the debate... not the one that hate guns...

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

There'll always be people like your brother-on-law, who've experienced unspeakable gun-related tragedy that forever colours their views. For those folks, nothing other than autodidactic insight can or will ever make a difference.
    But, for the vast majority, opinions are forged far more by hearsay than by facts. Getting their hands on a gun, in a positive context, I believe, would go a long way towards opening (changing?) many otherwise anti-gun minds. At least, if they find the experience enjoyable, they can no longer believe that guns are inherently dangerous killing machines owned by red-neck crazies out for blood, which is at the core of liberal views on guns and their [gun-toting] proponents.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    People who believe the government should control access to firearms have a fundamental philosophical paradigm: that your rights come from the government, that you own property at the pleasure of the government, and that central planners are better at making decisions regarding your life than you are. They believe that government power is good, and the only risk to government power is having the wrong people in elected office.

Discussing statistics, safety, or taking them to the range won't change that - pointing out the inconsistent positions they hold *might*, but I wouldn't count on it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    There is a reason it works. They want it to work. They want to believe in magic. Trust me--- no talk of the true meaning of 2a will make a dent in their self delusion. Until the reason for the self delision goes away they will maintain it all the way to the gas chamber. Belive it. It has happened before and it will happen again.. it is the way humans protect themselves physcologically.

It really does require a guantum leap. And in many cases it reguires a method of dealing with the real fear or trauma before it can be done. In some cases bursting the delusion can result psychological trauma... it's really is nothing to fool with.

Recall cat lady from last session.... recall folks threating violence in the name of piece...

We are looking for the ones that are not delusional... they are the ones that shrug and ingore the debate... not the one that hate guns...

We're in agreement. The rabid antis and those who are delusional with fear are the LEAST of our worries. However, the ones who see their freedom (along with their paychecks) dwindling and getting nothing from the government but empty promises and glittering platitudes in return can be easily swayed, even if the never held a firearm in their life.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD

Last edited:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    We're in agreement. The rabid antis and those who are delusional with fear are the LEAST of our worries. However, the ones who see their freedom (along with their paychecks) dwindling and getting nothing from the government but empty promises and glittering platitudes in return can be easily swayed, even if the never held a firearm in their life.

Now we need to find them... I have ideas...you have ideas.. let's talk and make it happen in the spring....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom