• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I've been looking for this info for a few weeks but haven't been able to find anything. My question is, for all of the ballot questions which are worded "...to authorize and empower Baltimore County, Maryland to borrow $xx".

Where is this borrowed money coming from? I'm generally against any bill which allows the county or state to borrow more money it doesn't have.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    They usually issue bonds and get the money that way. I said no to most of them but there were a few I said okay. I personally think they should raise the money then build rather than borrow.

Vic

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You don't need to know where it comes from. There are many lenders and sources. The important thing is, if they have to borrow, they've spent us into debt. The only question I voted FOR was to protect the transportation funds. All others I voted NO.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    What VIC said. It is asking for permission to put us into debt.
    Do not have the Maryland constitution in front of me, but that is one of the articles in the Maryland constitution, that all issuing of bonds must approved by the people.

So the only people to blame when we go into debt/default is YOU (Us the voters).

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    You don't need to know where it comes from. There are many lenders and sources. The important thing is, if they have to borrow, they've spent us into debt. The only question I voted FOR was to protect the transportation funds. All others I voted NO.

That was my initial thought also. I'm against borrowing when we're already broke.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    They usually issue bonds and get the money that way. I said no to most of them but there were a few I said okay. I personally think they should raise the money then build rather than borrow.

Vic

Hmm... so it's a case of raise taxes now or later.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    Every agency in Baltimore County has a budget. If they want to build something new, they need to figure out how to do it within thier budget. Don't let the old "But it's for the children" fool you. It's still spending money we don't have. Then we will get new fees and taxes to cover it.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    That was my initial thought also. I'm against borrowing when we're already broke.

+1....I never vote for more borrowing....why don't we ever see ballot questions on what we would like to see reduced or defunded?

Dec 31, 2012
    It's easier to sell this to the public than raising taxes. Reword the questions to say are you in support of paying more taxes today to pay for xxxx project and see what happens.

If they were more honest about the bonds it would say are you willing to tax your children to pay principal and interest for what you want today?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    TOMORROW... I will vote "Yes" on #1 as it sounds legit... but I'm voting "No" on all of the borrowing. As been said before, our asses are in debt deep enough.:sad20:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    In fairness they haven't raised property taxes in something like 26 years.

Maybe if they did they wouldn't have to borrow?

Dec 31, 2012
    In fairness they haven't raised property taxes in something like 26 years.

Maybe if they did they wouldn't have to borrow?

Let's put that on the ballot and see what happens. I'm serious.

I have no faith in people's ability to tolerate sacrifice in any form. They will bleed the future dry before willingly submitting to another tax that would lower their current consumption regardless of what the tax will be used for. There's a reason we don't vote on taxes and salaries but do vote on borrowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom