• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    As im gearing up for the hunting season and re-reading the rules and regulations, i started to think more about what is meant by bag limit and/or possession limit.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/FedRegs_HuntingMGB.pdf

Daily bag limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single species
    or combination (aggregate) of species permitted to be taken by one person in any one day
    during the open season in any one specified geographic area for which a daily bag limit is
    prescribed.
    Possession limit means the maximum number of migratory game birds of a single
    species or a combination of species permitted to be possessed by any one person when
    lawfully taken in the United States in any one specified geographic area for which a
    possession limit is prescribed.

When searching through google and MD DNR i came across the above link. Im assuming that even though it is talking about migratory game birds that the same would apply to squirrels, fox, and deer...

So what is the difference and when do they apply?

Maybe im thinking to hard about it or i just need to be clued in. please clue me in. thank you

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I think the way it's worded is "Daily" vs. total for a season is the way I would loosely interpret it. And they both say specifically "Migratory Game Birds, or Game Birds". You would have to look up each animal seperately to see what the limits are.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Daily bag limit is the number u can take in a day. The possesion limit is the number you may have in the freezer or fridge or how ever u store them. If u eat a couple or give them away they would no longer be in your possesion and could go take more of that species

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    Daily bag limit is the number u can take in a day. The possesion limit is the number you may have in the freezer or fridge or how ever u store them. If u eat a couple or give them away they would no longer be in your possesion and could go take more of that species

This is what I read on some hunting forum from CO but then it turned into a debate of meat in the freezer from multiple hunters or past years of meat. They were arguing that it was a gray area.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Meat dont last too long in my freezer. I should be ok. As for birds if you give them away i believe you must tag them with your license # and name but could be wrong. In the suburban deer archery zone one could kill as many does a day as u wanted. No bag limit

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Possession is the amount you have in your hand, truck, bag or whatever you carry them in, in the field.
    If you have the possession limit on the second day of the hunt, some are yesterdays and some are todays.
    If you have the Possession limit on the FIRST day of the hunt, you ARE IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    Possession is the amount you have in your hand, truck, bag or whatever you carry them in, in the field.
    If you have the possession limit on the second day of the hunt, some are yesterdays and some are todays.
    If you have the Possession limit on the FIRST day of the hunt, you ARE IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE.

On first day!?!? Yeah I could see that being a huge red flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom