• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    The time has come when our laws in MD are narrowing our choices in Firearms but this is terrible. I stopped at Cabela's in Wheeling WV yesterday to purchase a Remington 870 Riot shotgun and filled out the paperwork only to be told by a manager that they could not sell me the shotgun because it was an assault gun as defined by the state of MD. I insisted that she was wrong and that I was legally able to purchase the gun and that MD law did not forbid this shotgun but she said that it was a tactical weapon and therefore forbidden to sell to MD residents. Below is the email that I sent to Cablela's customer service this morning.

"I am writing you today because I feel a great injustice has been done to myself and other people from Maryland by Cabela's. I received your in store gun advertisement Code 34V10M. I went to the store in Wheeling WV to purchase the Remington 870 Shotgun for $299.00 and was filling out the 4473 form when I was notified that I was not allowed to purchase this gun because it was an assault gun as classified by MD law. I am a MD designated firearm collector, and a FFL03 and I know MD firearms law very well. Nowhere in the MD law would this firearm be classified as an assault gun. In fact the only shotgun listed in the present law is the street sweeper shotgun. The Remington 870 is not an assault gun and when I asked to speak to a manager she said the bottom line was they will not sell it to MD residents because it is a tactical weapon. I realize that you may or may not sell to anyone you wish but even under the new MD laws it does not ban a shotgun such as this gun. I feel very cheated that I drove 2 hours and that I have supported your company many times to have something like this happen to me because you take it upon yourselves to interpret the MD law instead of knowing what the law really says. If you can show me in writing where this shotgun is banned from MD, I will issue you an apology. I am also going to post this experience on the MD Shooters web page so that other MD residents do not make the mistake of supporting Cabela's until this situation is remedied. BTW, I drove back to MD and purchased a semi-auto TRI STAR shotgun with a pistol grip and flash hider with no problem whatsoever. I would have rather had the Remington but you did not want my business."

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    That is jacked up!

Sadly, I think we're going to get shafted more and more often as time goes on and people just don't want to deal with md. Part of me can't blame them, but they should at least try to read the law, especially for a neighboring state who will have a lot of md customers.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    Ok, I left another really upsetting part out of my post. On the way home I stopped at the Walmart in Morgantown WV and looked at the TRI STAR shotgun there. I asked the clerk if I could buy that as I am a MD resident. She said let me look it up on my computer and check. Guess What!! she said I am sorry I can no longer sell any firearm to MD residents. I said wow you must be kidding not even a deer rifle? She then turned her screen so that I could see the map of the US and Maryland had a big RED X on the state. She said sorry I can sell you ammo but not guns. As I said in my original post we are going to keep getting narrowed down in our choices of where to purchase by our laws. On the bright side I called the LaVale Walmart after I left Morgantown and they told me they had the TRI STAR in stock and they would hold it for me so I drove down and had no problem at all purchasing the shotgun in MD. BTW the LaVale Walmart had more guns including a Ruger Mini14 than I have seen there all year!

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I was in a Walmart in WV. over the summer (July) talking with the guy in sporting goods and he told me they will not sell to md residents any mags or regulated items they carry. He showed me on his computer what states would be denied purchases. He also said the denied purchase had been in place since sometime in June.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    We need to get rid of the source of the problem.

The idiots in our state that don't represent us.

Keep up the pressure in our state, become a DINO and get rid of all these ass clowns and stupid laws.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A tad of topic but gun related.

Freedom Armory in PA is selling M&P15's for 875 (I think) bucks cash n carry. HBAR. .750 in front and .750 behind gas block. Bayo lug and hider.

They will stop selling them (All HBAR's) on 10-1 until they get a new Maryland gun laws suck update.

P.S. GO DINO

P.P.S. ATTENTION ATF, FBI, MSP, NSA, BACO POLICE. I did not buy one and bring it home. Please do not show up at my house at 6am asking to see it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Sorry that happened.
    I feel MD will be cut off by many retailers for two reasons 1) A statement against the strict gun laws and 2) Not wanting to try to keep up with current MD laws, which MD is having trouble keeping up with themselves.
    I think many manufacturers cut off NY for similar reasons.
    How can a state that does not abide by the Constitution of a nation remain a state?
    Therefore the states in the US can impose an embargo on MD.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Try Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury. They seem to be better at getting the MD laws down, though oct 1 they may be as befuddled as anyone else. However, they will surely sell you a "fudd gun" even a "tactical" looking one. You can also open carry in their store and they don't mind it. They probably have some HBAR's and AR10's in there right now they will sell cash and carry up to the last day of sept.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wonder if this is new store policy that's just come down the pipe. I stopped at a Cabelas in Indiana in mid August when on the way back to Maryland from a summer vacation. I told them my residency at the gun counter and a guy did a quick check of his computer and said that I would be able to purchase most rifles there except the ARs (this store had an amazing selection). In fact, he pulled out a stainless Ruger Mini-14 on a synthetic stock for me to look at and indicated it was cash and carry with a NICS check. I wonder if recent ATF/MSP actions on some Virginia purchased HBARs has the big box stores hesitating and waiting to see how the new laws are interpreted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave T

Before you go beating up Cabelas so much, keep in mind a lot of out of state establishments won't touch Maryland at all. We not only have the strict state regulations, but some Counties are even stricter yet. Some establishment just don't want to risk the ever revolving regulations we have here. Just be grateful Cabelas does still sell to Md residents in general.

It bugs me that Cheaper Than Dirt keeps sending me emails advertising guns when they won't sell ANY guns to Md residents. I wrote to them and complained. It's the ever revolving Md regs that scares them.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    The new laws are confusing enough for people who live here that are trying hard to understand them. Look at it from the point of view of someone that has a passing interest, at best, in the new laws here. They see a confusing morass of things that are not well defined or organized. They sell the wrong thing to someone they get a visit from ATF and they get in a bad situation.

And who doesn't think MD won't be pushing ATF to go and check those boarder stores to be sure they aren't helping us run illegal guns into the PRofMD?

I can't blame out of state dealers from being very, very cautious. Especially big box stores that have someone selling firearms that then goes over to the shoe department.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    Maryland gun laws are our problem, NOT out of state retailers or websites. Their job is to run their business and make money ...period. Trying to keep up w Maryland laws isn't in their best interest and if they make a mistake they put their business at risk. They are making a business decision to keep it simple fore their stores and not sell. The will lose very small amount of MD business but in the long run probably what s best for THEIR business. This is our problem.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Guess What!! she said I am sorry I can no longer sell any firearm to MD residents. I said wow you must be kidding not even a deer rifle? She then turned her screen so that I could see the map of the US and Maryland had a big RED X on the state.

Back In June I was in Florida and visited the local Walmart and the salesperson was a retired school teacher from MD. He showed me that same screen, I then posted that info to this forum. We talked about how confusing MD laws are, we are screwed big time!

Almost forgot: Dick's in Greensburg Pa back in Feb would only sell me a blackpower firearm. The rest was restricted to Md residents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom