• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I think this article brings up a great point in the difference in the calibers. While I am sure anyone can get acclimated to the additional recoil of the .40cal, the 9mm is generally easier to shoot and accuracy is more important to LEO than the average Joe. I would be interested to see the statistical difference. I think too much is made of the "knock down" power of the two rounds.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was always was a fan of the 1911/.45acp, but because of improvement in bullet technology the 9mm and 17+1 in my Beretta is hard to beat. With two 17 rnd, a 15 rnd, and one in the chamber that's 50 rounds compared to 22 rnds of .45 for three mags in a 1911.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Shame we can't load 45,9mm,45,9mm like a shotgun, buck, slug, buck, slug...:)
    sent from somewhere in the world.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Timely article ...

I have to agree with the consensus here.

After observing a DNR officer unload his M&P40 on an injured fox, hitting it twice from a range of about 15', I have to agree that a .40 cal recoil coupled with an inexperienced shooter {Does DNR have mandatory range time ?} means less accuracy.

While I'm not that much better with my M&P9, I think I could have dispatched the animal withot emptying my mag. :rolleyes:

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just to play devil's advocate, the article says that 9mm bullet designs have improved over the years to rival the .40S&W, but why couldn't .40 bullet designs be improved in the same way?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Just to play devil's advocate, the article says that 9mm bullet designs have improved over the years to rival the .40S&W, but why couldn't .40 bullet designs be improved in the same way?
    They have, but that won't make someone "more dead".

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The old agency I worked at all carried 9mm. A few years ago a few of the special agents started getting .40s. They wanted something different then us dirty patrol div. guys.

I being their handgun instructor did notice their scores go down but not much. Their groups were larger. I always found it funny when they would bring thier Glock 23 mags. thinking they woukd fit in their golck 22's.

I was going to buy a .40 but having so much training with a 9mm and having buckets and buckets of 9mm brass sitting in my garage, noneof it I had to pick up, instructor perks...lol. I just stayed with my trusty 9millie

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    The 40cal has much more punch than a 9mm. Shoot 1gallon milk jugs full of water and see. I did this with a 9mm, 40cal and 357mag. The 115gr 9mm put a hole in the jug and it tipped over. The 180gr 40cal shredded the jug and blew it 2ft in the air and 3ft backward. The 357mag with hornady 125gr ftx rounds, I swear no bull shit, blew the milk jug over 10ft in the air--There was a perfect circle blown out the back about 4in wide.

I agree that good shot placement is key in self defense. You cant successfully defend yourself if you cant hit your target. If you are more accurate with a 9mm, then use a 9mm. If you can handle a 40cal just as well, use the 40. Its all about accuracy and preference. I wouldnt hesitate to use a 9mm for self defense but I'm just as accurate with a 40cal and I can throw 180gr self defense ammo at the target so I use a 40cal. Hell, you can take down anything with a .22 if you hit it in between the eyes or behind the ear. My point is shoot the biggest caliber that you feel the most comfortable and are most accurate with.

I have no reason to be a 40cal fan boy. I actually enjoy shooting 45acp the best. I own 9mm, .380, 40s&w, 45acp and 357mag. Just keep in mind that when the gun scare recently hit, 40s&w was one of the only rounds readily available for purchase at that time. You couldnt find 9mm anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom