• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Start with .01 and let the free market dictate what an item is worth.

Most people's minimum is higher than the actual value of an item.

It's why 97.3 percent of Gunbroker auctions have zero bids.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    From fun broker itself:

Reserve Price auctions are very unpopular with bidders. We receive complaints about them daily. We suggest that you set your Starting Bid to the least amount you will take for the item and let the bidding start. If you have priced your item fairly, you are likely to receive a higher price than your Starting Bid.

If you set a Reserve Price, we strongly suggest that you set a Starting Bid equal to at least 1/2 of the Reserve Price or you will very likely get complaints from bidders.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I know I hate when people give me a logical reason to try and calm my ranting, but many more auctions get bid up to a high price when started at a very low price, than when the auction starts at a high price to begin with.

Mostly psychological but I've seen it many times.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I know I hate when people give me a logical reason to try and calm my ranting, but many more auctions get bid up to a high price when started at a very low price, than when the auction starts at a high price to begin with.

YUP!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    been watching this sellers auctions, and many end with no bids
    or no reserve met

I don't even look at auctions with reserves.

Too many people think their South Korean turd of a mixmaster M1 Garand is worth $1,300.00

With a reserve of $1,299.99

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Simple solution........... don't buy guns unseen on an online auction, you're probably going to pay too much anyway. :lol2: Get off your ass and go to the actual local auction. :)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    where on the shore do they have em?

Marshall's in Parsonsburg has one every Feb.... over 300 guns, clean auction other than phone bids bidding them up. :sad20: I suggest you try auctionzip.com..... somebody selling every week. Foxwell in Cambridge if you can tolerate Buddy the ******* that runs it. Easternshoreauctions............ another clean auction.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's surprising how few live auctions use reserves for most firearms. I'm a huge fan of live auctions and have only dealt with reserves a couple of times where they went over like a lead balloon for obvious reasons.
    Now if we could get auction houses to scale back those obscene buyers premiums (Earth to Alex Cooper...).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've come to find out the best way to buy guns on GB is search exceptionally broad. I have a list of like 30 guns I want and I just type in "revolver" and see what actions are ending soon and what they are looking like. I add a ton of crap to my watch list and see where the cips may fall.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's surprising how few live auctions use reserves for most firearms. I'm a huge fan of live auctions and have only dealt with reserves a couple of times where they went over like a lead balloon for obvious reasons.
    Now if we could get auction houses to scale back those obscene buyers premiums (Earth to Alex Cooper...).

Or if you can get auction houses to portray the item as it really is in the catalog pictures... ;)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Simple solution........... don't buy guns unseen on an online auction, you're probably going to pay too much anyway. :lol2: Get off your ass and go to the actual local auction. :)
    If you are looking for something specific that's uncommon, there's really no getting away from using the Internet, unfortunately.

Gunbroker's "no listing fee" policy is really what drives the idiocy on there. You have a lot of sellers just relisting stuff with stupid prices OVER AND OVER without any downside to them. Even a minimal relisting fee would clean that place up really quick.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My recent $300 Ruger Single six was a reserve auction starting at .01
    No one bid on it. During email conversations, the guy told me unsolicited what the reserve was.
    I bid the reserve about an hour before the auction ended and had to leave, got home and found I won.

I don't get reserves either, I don't ever do that on ebay anymore. I just set a min bid.

My only guess is that sellers may think that if it does not sell, he will at least know the market price? But of course if people are not bidding, they are reducing the market.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

I think this is very true in live auctions, but generally not so in online auctions. For all of our comments about Grey Blanket, he tends to start his auctions at a penny with no reserve, and let's the market truly take care of it ... and he usually cleans up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom