• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Foxtrapper, need some help with your namesake.
    Thursday night into Friday morning my son accidentally left open the door to our backyard chicken coop and overnight a fox took 4 out of 5 hens.

I've found the predators path into my fenceline and tracked out to two separate dens in the empty land behind my house. I can't shoot in my area. Too many houses in too close. Need help from a trapper.

Thanks

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Can't set traps either if the houses are that close, and probably people's pets wandering around. Can set within the safety zone ( I think) with nuisance lisc, however footholds won't go over well with neighbor's cats and dogs. Rarely do red foxes go into a cage trap. I've only heard of very suburban/urbanized foxes going into them and you would need a really big one as well. One is a model with a live bait box that you can put a chicken into. I do not have one of these however.

How old is the son? If he is old enough that he should have known better, make him work towards getting new chickens- by working extra chores. He needs to never ever leave that door open again. It is not the fox's fault he left it open.

If you really want to try to trap the foxes, call DNR about a landowner nuisance control lisc, then see if you can find one of the big cage traps with the bait box. The Susquehannok Wildlife Society may have a source for one that can be rented or lent. They are in Harford. However, don't let them know you want to kill any foxes you catch ( bunny huggers). By law you cannot relocate foxes caught, though if you catch small pups the bunny hugger society has wildlife rehabbers they can connect you with.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    dcon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member