• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Good luck. Up here you'd think you are asking for someone's daughter. $250 a load, I can buy 3/4" stone for the same money.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Define "get".

Several places in lower St. Mary's will sell it to you. I know for sure that AB&H and Larry Hill's both have it. Great Mills Trading Post probably has it as well.
    As for the time of year...not an issue. These guys stock pile it and use/spread it year round. I had Hill's bring me two truck loads around this time last year. Fine to drive on and when the heat of summer hit it got compacted really well and is doing fine.

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    About 15 years ago I built an addition on my house. I had five - 18 yard loads delivered to the site. Two loads of clean fill dirt, one load each of screened top soil, sand and gravel. The material was only a small amount of the cost. The dump truck to deliver it was by far the majority of the cost. It was less than a 10 mile haul.

bhtr

Feb 1, 2013
    Calvert County,
    We bought a few loads of millings from Marini Asphalt a few years ago. I think they are based in Clinton. We were not in a huge hurry so we told them what we wanted and waited until they were doing a job nearby that produced millings. It minimized the hauling cost. You may want to contact some asphalt companies in the area and see if you can craft the same kind of deal.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Sloan Materials has clean and finely ground millings for $14 per ton + delivery. 301-475-3651

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Wish there was someone up here that sold them reasonable.

What is reasonable to you?

More often than not, the prices are set by what he consumer market is willing to pay. These companies are moving product at current prices so why would they lower them to be more "reasonable"?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What is reasonable to you?

More often than not, the prices are set by what he consumer market is willing to pay. These companies are moving product at current prices so why would they lower them to be more "reasonable"?

Something less than the cost of a stone that was quarried from earth would make sense. For YEARS millings were straight up given away (and still are to this day in certain locations).

To go from "Free" to $250 - $450 a load? Something is wrong there.

I'd pay $600 cash money for someone to deliver and dump 3 loads of clean millings to a 21904 address.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Something less than the cost of a stone that was quarried from earth would make sense. For YEARS millings were straight up given away (and still are to this day in certain locations).

To go from "Free" to $250 - $450 a load? Something is wrong there.

I'd pay $600 cash money for someone to deliver and dump 3 loads of clean millings to a 21904 address.

Quarried from the earth? We may be talking about two different products and IF I have it wrong, forgive me.
    The millings that I'm talking about are those that are from asphalt which is removed from one place or the other, ground/milled (recycled) into the end product and then re-sold to a customer who has the need for such a product.

So, the company who is selling the material has to: 1) collect it from the source location, 2) transport it to the milling location, 3) mill it, 4) store it / keep it on site until needed and then 5) deliver it back to the customer.

They have to cover labor, equipment and transportationn costs to do all of those things. They are certainly not going to sell it for a loss, but the amount of profit they are realizing is...once again...depends on what the consumer market will allow.

Back when millings were free, it was 'probably' because they had not figured out a reliable consumer market for them because not many folks recognized the value/use for the product so it was less expensive / less trouble to give it away. As the various applications caught on with others, demand increased and suddenly you have a market for a product and begin to sell.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So, the company who is selling the material has to: 1) collect it from the source location, 2) transport it to the milling location, 3) mill it, 4) store it / keep it on site until needed and then 5) deliver it back to the customer.

Okay, they should be $500 a load then. :sad20:

The JD dealership my son works for just had 13 truckloads dropped off for a grand total of $0.00. (zero dollars,...delivered) They have so much they are trying to figure out somewhere to pile it up out of the way (too much to spread over the area they wanted it for.

When stone come (new) from a quarry they are first generation products, pulled from the earth and sold. I can't see paying the same (or more) for a milling.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Called sloan they want 450 for 23 tons delivered

Call them back and ask about 3/4" or crush & run. This is equivalent to the price of SCRAP aluminum siding exceeding the cost of buying ingots of straight aluminum from Alcoa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom