• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I picked up a PSE take-down recurve bow set for a little backyard archery practice since I recently got my son his own compound bow and all I had outside of my crossbows for hunting was my old youth compound bow that I bought from Sears back in the late 1980s. My son is 9 and doesn't have great upper body strength, so he got a Bear Archery Spark youth compound bow to start with. Seeing as I'm just shooting around in the backyard for practice and fun, I grabbed one of these PSE Pro-Max 62" takedown kits at a reasonable 25lb draw weight so I can shoot pretty regularly without getting tuckered out too quickly. It came with three feather-fletched arrows and I succeeded in ripping the odd-colored vane right off the shaft when I hit the side of the bale target and the arrow went all the way through.

I know I need 28" arrows (that's what came with the kit and works well with my draw length) my question is, what should I go with for some more arrows to have on hand? Since it's just target practice, does the arrow composition matter that much (Fiberglass vs carbon fiber?) Should I go with real feather fletching? Or are solid plastic vanes a-okay?

Very much a noob in this department. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I picked up a PSE take-down recurve bow set for a little backyard archery practice since I recently got my son his own compound bow and all I had outside of my crossbows for hunting was my old youth compound bow that I bought from Sears back in the late 1980s. My son is 9 and doesn't have great upper body strength, so he got a Bear Archery Spark youth compound bow to start with. Seeing as I'm just shooting around in the backyard for practice and fun, I grabbed one of these PSE Pro-Max 62" takedown kits at a reasonable 25lb draw weight so I can shoot pretty regularly without getting tuckered out too quickly. It came with three feather-fletched arrows and I succeeded in ripping the odd-colored vane right off the shaft when I hit the side of the bale target and the arrow went all the way through.

I know I need 28" arrows (that's what came with the kit and works well with my draw length) my question is, what should I go with for some more arrows to have on hand? Since it's just target practice, does the arrow composition matter that much (Fiberglass vs carbon fiber?) Should I go with real feather fletching? Or are solid plastic vanes a-okay?

Very much a noob in this department. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    You want to stay away from fiberglass arrows, because those are for fishing.

You can use any other arrow for target practice: wood, carbon fiber, aluminum.

The fletching doesn't matter either. You might want to pickup an inexpensive fletching jig to make your own repairs. A little glue and some extra fletching is a lot cheaper than always buying new arrows.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you’re shooting off the shelf you should use feathers. If off a rest, plastic vanes may work well. Amazon has some good inexpensive arrows.
    Might try some with a spine of .480-.520 for your setup.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If you’re shooting off the shelf you should use feathers. If off a rest, plastic vanes may work well. Amazon has some good inexpensive arrows.
    Might try some with a spine of .480-.520 for your setup.
    Grabbed a 6-pack of 28" arrows with 100gn field tips and real feather fletching and a spine of 500 from Amazon. They shoot waaaay better than the thin ones that came in the kit. Far more consistent. Thanks for the tip!

I'd recommend visiting Lancaster Archery - they will measure your draw length, cut them down, glue on appropriately weight tips, and get you all set up. If you haven't been there it's a must-see for archers.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I'd recommend visiting Lancaster Archery - they will measure your draw length, cut them down, glue on appropriately weight tips, and get you all set up. If you haven't been there it's a must-see for archers.
    If you're going to go that far... it's worth stopping at Bailey's Archery in Glen Rock PA (10 MINUTES OFF I 83)

Now a store to browse in but FANTASTIC for getting properly sized, having bow adjustments, and getting the absolute right equipment for your needs.

The owner is one of the nicest human beings you:ll ever meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom