• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should kids be suspended from school or arrested for wearing NRA, or pro-2A clothing?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I went to Dulaney High School in Cockeysville. Graduated in 2007. My usual shirts were Colt, Ruger or anything by 7.62 Designs. I wore a shirt that had an M82A1 on it and the caption said "761 Grains of Diplomacy". I never had one single mention of it other than someone saying it was cool. Hell for forensic sciences I was told to bring in a BB gun so we could learn about gunshot wounds by shooting clay. Told the SRO, he met me at my moms car, walked the bb gun to class with me, and gave it back at the end of the day. Times have changed DRASTICALLY and in such a short time. Pretty sad really.

Yes it has. My oldest just graduated from there and my son starts there next fall. My daughter took that class this year. There would be no way in hell a BB gun would be allowed in there. My god I can see the headlines now. The admin of the school would absolutely $hit them selves.
    They still teach about GSW's and splatter in that class.

Reading this made me sad. Very sad.

Me too. He knows to stand up for what he believes in. But to get in trouble and have permanent black mark on your record over a stupid tee shirt is not worth it. My son is a smart kids kid knows when to pick his battles.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Yes it has. My oldest just graduated from there and my son starts there next fall. My daughter took that class this year. There would be no way in hell a BB gun would be allowed in there. My god I can see the headlines now. The admin of the school would absolutely $hit them selves.

They still teach about GSW's and splatter in that class.

Me too. He knows to stand up for what he believes in. But to get in trouble and have permanent black mark on your record over a stupid tee shirt is not worth it. My son is a smart kids kid knows when to pick his battles.

Who teaches it now? I had Mr Famulari. Best teacher I've ever had, period.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I like your MSI blue font. Liked it better when you started your posts with "Sgt Preston here..." Even now every time I read your posts, I hear that in my head before your post. Very interesting how that works.

Oh, your post.... Yes, I agree there is a lot we don't know about that particular arrest without digging; I'm not suggesting we bother looking into this particular case - this thread is a poll. With several examples of how things could go wrong. Or right, depending on ones view.

Straight forward question, no need for anyone to read into anything:

Should kids be suspended from school or arrested for wearing NRA, or pro-2A clothing?

Yes. or No.

It's not that simple...

Does the school have rules about what can & can't be worn to school..?

What is the punishment to wearing improper clothing..?

I'm 72 & when I went to high school there was a very strict dress code...

If you showed up dressed improperly (without a tie for example), you were suspended on the spot & sent home...

You were not readmitted until both of your parents met with the Principal...

And I went to public school in the city = Baltimore Polytechnic Institute...

The rules & punishments were clear & known to all ahead of time...

It was a different time in America...

The Principal & Teachers were actually in charge back then...

I don't know the current rules, so I can't vote...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It's not that simple...

Does the school have rules about what can & can't be worn to school..?

What is the punishment to wearing improper clothing..?

I'm 72 & when I went to high school there was a very strict dress code...

If you showed up dressed improperly (without a tie for example), you were suspended on the spot & sent home...

You were not readmitted until both of your parents met with the Principal...

And I went to public school in the city = Baltimore Polytechnic Institute...

The rules & punishments were clear & known to all ahead of time...

It was a different time in America...

The Principal & Teachers were actually in charge back then...

I don't know the current rules, so I can't vote...

Thanks for the explanation. I see your point, if the rules say this or that is grounds for suspension, then I tend to agree. But if the rules specifically said NRA or 2A' clothing alone were grounds for suspension, but other logo clothing were not, would you still be ok with it? This is really the intent of the poll question; but I now understand where there some confusion could be coming from. I tried to make it as cut-and-dry as possible, I see where where some might get caught up in the particulars of the one specific case illustrated, of the teen in the NRA shirt, could make this a stumper.

Just for old time sake, if you reply again to this thread, could you hit us with another of your 'Sgt Preston here....' (in all caps like you did in the beginning?)

I dig nostalgia.

:)

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Arrested? No. Suspended? Maybe, depending upon any school policies that are violated. Almost all of these cases involve school policies that don't allow ANY shirts with logos or statements on them. If that is the case, and the kid doesn't go home to change his/her shirt, then absolutely the kid should be suspended.

I would answer this question very differently if the kid was suspended WITHOUT any such school policy in place (e.g., just because a school administrator didn't like the message).

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I may have BGOS, but I will not let my 14 yearly son go to the Balt Co public school he attends wearing anything weapons related. He is an avid shooter and life member in the NRA and squarely on his way to Eagle scout. He has NRA, MDS, SOTAR, etc shirts. In my opinion, it is not worth his record being blemished or the hassle. He is a good kid that never gets in trouble and completely understands why we have this rule. He doesn't want the hassle either.

When I work the range for the scouts or youth shoots, we make sure we get all the spent shells back. We make a point of telling them if they have one on them in school and get caught, they will be expelled. It is just not with it.
    Ridiculous, yes, worth the hassle and trouble, NO.

Flame away

Absolutely nothing wrong with your way of thinking.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Obviously the first amendment does not apply when you are in school, a place where your children are supposed to learn what this country is about!

I agree! Schools are run by leftists in this country. History is a thing of the past too. Leftists by their own actions don't want children to know anything about the Revolutionary war either! They're afraid little patriots will grow up to be adult patriots who support freedom and the Constitution!

Have a Happy and Safe 4th.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Obviously the first amendment does not apply when you are in school, a place where your children are supposed to learn what this country is about!

...and therein lies the problem IMHO.

If we treat those in public schools as second class citizens where the same constitutional protections do not apply to all, what do they learn? How will they run the country?

Now think of zero tolerance policies in place in our schools.

What outcome do you expect?

It paints a very dank dark future :sad20:

WildIrishRose

Jul 3, 2016
    Brunswick, Maryland
    I voted YES because i think the government should be allowed to control clothing choices. For instance, those wearing revealing swim suits at the beach should have to be pre-approved by an appointed committee to make sure no unsightlies force me to puke in my mouth when they walk by in their sagging tats.
    Not sure if serious or a joke....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom