• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I just bought a MagPul ASAP and got ready to install it when I realized that I need a special tool to get the nut off.
    Does anyone know where I can find the Armorer's wrench? Would Harbor Freight have one?
    Anyone have one I can borrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I'm sure there's quite a few members in your area that would let you borrow one for a couple minutes.:thumbsup:

Yep, I'm sure you could find one to borrow. They're all of $6 to buy, but obviously if one isn't in hand, you aint got it. You can also use a flat-head screwdriver & a hammer to knock it loose, if you needed to, in a pinch. I would want to tighten it up at some point with an actual wrench, but I know I've had a "hand tightened" castle nut for months at some points without any ill effects :innocent0 :D

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    JoeBobOutfitters.com said:
    Yep, I'm sure you could find one to borrow. They're all of $6 to buy, but obviously if one isn't in hand, you aint got it. You can also use a flat-head screwdriver & a hammer to knock it loose, if you needed to, in a pinch. I would want to tighten it up at some point with an actual wrench, but I know I've had a "hand tightened" castle nut for months at some points without any ill effects :innocent0 :D

Where would I find one for $6? All I could find was $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I was in 2A Sales in Jessup. He had two of them sitting in his display cabinet.

Don't quote me, but I think they were marked about $15.00.

Call Mark and ask him if he still has them.

If you get it from JoeBob's, you might get jerky with it!

--Dan

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Any standard plumbers pipe wrench will work fine. Good enough for me since I don't care about a few scratches on the castle nut.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I was in 2A Sales in Jessup. He had two of them sitting in his display cabinet.

Don't quote me, but I think they were marked about $15.00.

Call Mark and ask him if he still has them.

If you get it from JoeBob's, you might get jerky with it!

--Dan

Until last week there were 3 in his case. I picked up one for under $30 for the DPMS AR Multi-tool IIRC.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Damn. Why do I always find out about these websites when it is too late. I could have saved money on the sling mount too.

You sir, will get an order from me next time.

:D:thumbsup:

I bought the DPMS one. works great for the castle nut portion. haven't used any of the other features.

I used the DPMS one on my first AR I built ~4 years ago that I borrowed from a local LEO friend who had one and it worked well. We use the DPMS tool for local/personal use and it works well for an all-around tool. Seems like the powdercoating could chip off pretty easily under hard use, but then again, it's a tool and not jewelery :D

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    There are two different things we're talking about here, one that sells for around $6-7 and one that sells for $30. I saw both in abundant supply, at those prices, at the last Chantilly Gun Show. The more expensive one is much more massive, sturdy, and also has other functions built in. The cheaper one is a lot scrawnier, and depending on how stuck on the castle nut is, you might need to apply some additional leverage to it, because it's a lot shorter as well. I got the cheaper one at the gun show solely because of its price, and it's been sufficient for my needs.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    If your current castle nut is staked, the little castle nut wrench is gonna slip off the nut a couple times and cursing will ensue :D. If you have any future plans on doing any more more work than just the castle nut, it would be a good idea to invest in armorer's blocks and a quality multi wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom