• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWTOR

G23, G27, LCP, NEF-12g
    Apr 12, 2011
    HoCo
    Hi Everyone --

So recently I've been looking into become an armed security officer. It seems that most want you to already have a MD permit before you apply (most are very vocal that you shouldn't bother them unless you do).

I have no security or military background but wish to enter that line of work. If I simply explain on my application that I wish to become an armed guard, is that good enough to get a Maryland permit restricted to "on duty security use" or something?

Thanks.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hi Everyone --

So recently I've been looking into become an armed security officer. It seems that most want you to already have a MD permit befire you apply (most are very vocal that you shouldn't bother them unless you do).

I have no security or military background but wish to enter that line of work. If I simply explain on my application that I wish to become an armed guard, is that good enough to get a Maryland permit restricted to "on duty security use" or something?

Thanks.

Get a job with an Armored Car company, get your permit then look for Armed Security work.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    You need to get a job at a security company like Code 3 or Allied. Then they must sponsor you to get a permit. You have to take an eight hour class to qualify with your weapon. The permit will be only good while you are in uniform on duty.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Anyone have an idea what the qualification course is like for MD security officers? Not too worried but always good to know.

I got that information from an armed guard I used to know. All I know is that there is a live fire target qualification and written test. I'm not sure if there is any shoot/don't shoot scenario training like in the police academy. You might want to contact the security company directly or MSP, where the qualification is held. The course is only 8 hours as opposed to the 40 hour police firearms course.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    If you are working for a company that does DHS contracts you are required to have 40hr firearms course which is split between classroom and range .

as for non DHS i am not sure ..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To transfer a permit from one employer to another the Job Title must match exactly. Specifically "Driver/ Gaurd" is NOT acceptable to transfer to a position of "Security Gaurd" .

It is the eternal Catch-22 . It is not even the expense of putting you through the "Training" , it is the time lag of having you on the payroll for 2-6 months before your being able to fill an armed position. Best odds with a company that has both armed and unarmed contracts.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    To transfer a permit from one employer to another the Job Title must match exactly. Specifically "Driver/ Gaurd" is NOT acceptable to transfer to a position of "Security Gaurd" .

It is the eternal Catch-22 . It is not even the expense of putting you through the "Training" , it is the time lag of having you on the payroll for 2-6 months before your being able to fill an armed position. Best odds with a company that has both armed and unarmed contracts.

This is true. The guy I knew said that all armed guards start out as unarmed guards. Only those deemed competent and trustworthy enough to be armed are selected after 6-12 months of service.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on the ratio of unarmed to armed contracts. Even if they intend from the start to make most employees armed , still have to deal with the time lag of issuence vs average turnover of said employees.

SWTOR

G23, G27, LCP, NEF-12g
    Apr 12, 2011
    HoCo

VERY good info, thanks!!

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    The ICE course is needed for armed guards at federal sites. If you're armored car, you need the entire 40 hour course. My current job is with frontline, last job Dunbar armored. The armored permit is submitted for modification and costs $10. You do NOT get an extension on the requalification!!

You can requalify either with the ICE course or the standard MD state certification.

------

My question is that since I drove the night shuttle in addition to the truck and am currently armed with a permit, going on 5 years now, can I get restrictions lifted like correctional officers somehow? Is it worth even trying? I live in Baltimore county. Does that change anything?

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    a question, would i after 40 yrs police work, army training during vietnam and the ability to carry under leosa would i still have to take the guard training. qualifying with the weapon i would use would be no problem. under leosa i quall each year with both a revolver and a semi auto.
    at my age mid 60s i am not going to get a guard job, but i wonder what hoops i would have to do

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    Its all in the company you work for if theyll sponsor you. Most companies want the license up front so they dont have to invest 3-6 months in you waiting. Ive done security since 08. Ive had my carry licence since last year. My uncle Rick Stern is a handgun and self defense instructor in MD. He owns and operates www.traintoaim.com and just teamed up with Annapolis Defense. I have no doubt he can point you in the right direction. This isnt meant to be a business plug, just trying to help the OP.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    The problem with going armed is that one your going to need sponsorship from a security company to get your armed card. Like the standard unarmed "guard card" it means that they will ship your armed card to the company not to your house. Once you receive it there will be limitations like you can only carry at work or to and from work. Like I was going to or from the range excuse I was going to work may or may not work if you get pulled over by an officer with a hard on. The second is the training aspect of the whole entire scheme. Look for training companies that have security companies attached to it as they may be able to sponsor you with the MSP. Oh did I mention that your being processed my the MSP and it may take up to a year or two until you receive your credentials. All the while your most likely working unarmed sites for chump change until you get your armed card. Most companies will hold on to your cards as it keeps guards from shopping themselves around to other companies for higher pay. Remember the wait for the release of regulated firearms in 2013 it is even longer if you want an actual license from the state police.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    a question, would i after 40 yrs police work, army training during vietnam and the ability to carry under leosa would i still have to take the guard training. qualifying with the weapon i would use would be no problem. under leosa i quall each year with both a revolver and a semi auto.
    at my age mid 60s i am not going to get a guard job, but i wonder what hoops i would have to do

Actually almost nothing as you can carry under LEOSA without any restrictions I would just have government credentials from an actual police agency with me at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom