• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    I would like to try out a bunch of different handguns to see what I might want to buy next. I would like to know which ranges have which guns for rent. I know I could probably call each range and ask, but if anyone knows that a local range has a certain weapon, please post here. Also, when I go to a range I will report back on this thread what they had to rent.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    "On Target" in Odenton (near I-295 X MD-175) has handguns to rent on their indoor range, but I don't know what models they offer. 410-551-7777.

Continental in Timonium has an indoor range and also offers rentals. 410-560-3609

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    Thanks guys.

The only local range I have been to has been Select Fire. They don't have the best selection of Rental guns from what I saw.

Bobby

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks guys.

The only local range I have been to has been Select Fire. They don't have the best selection of Rental guns from what I saw.

Bobby

I've never been in Select Fire, or heard anything good about them. Try Continental, they have both a good selection of rentals and a nice range facility. I went in On Target a while back and wasn't real impressed with the place, but your mileage may indeed vary.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I love OnTarget due to vary of pistols that i can play with...

its a great place where I can bring my friends and they can rent their pistols instead of me giving mine when they dont know what they are doing with it :)

My pistols are very loyal, only likes me :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You're fortunate that you are pretty much equidistant from both Continental and On Target.

Both shops are good, but for the level of service I would give the nod to Continental. I would also give them the nod for a wider range of gun brands and types. On Target's prices are OK, but the selection is only so/so most of the time.

Three of the guys from Continental are members here and can probably answer any questions that you have.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It would be tough and/or quite time consuming to post every rental that they have. If there is something in particular you wanted to try out, post it, and there is a good possibility they either have it for rent, or someone might be willing to bring that pistol with them to the range if they are planning on shooting there, and let you try it out.

AFAIK, Continental has most any Glock, S&W M&P, a few kimber 1911s, Sigs, a good number of S&W revolvers, and a few bersas, and random other makes.

On-target only has about 1/4 of the pistols available for rental. They have a lot more random collection, lots of the rental guns are no longer in production or otherwise hard to find, and are centered more around a variety of calibers, than examples of particular weapons. By this I mean, if you want to try a 9mm, 38special and 44mag, go to On-target, If you want to try a glock 22, M&P 45 and sig 226, go to Continental.

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    I am looking to try a bersa 380, a couple of sig models, XD9mm/40 and a few others. Sounds like Continental is the place to go.

Thanks all.

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    Alright guys, I am heading to Continental Arms to rent a new gun and do some shooting. I will probably be there at about 1-1:30pm. I won't be bringing any of my guns today, just renting. If any one is heading up, I will be wearing a black ALTB (A Little Taste of Baltimore) shirt.

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    Just got back. Rented two guns and put 100 rounds through each.

First was the Springfield XD 9mm. I shot this gun very well. I shot two mags of 10 rounds into a 4in grouping at 25 feet and shot 26 of thirty in to about an 8in group at 50 feet. At 75 feet , I was pretty accurate as well. The sites on the XD were spot on. The DA pull was very long and surprised me the first shot. The single action follow up shots were very nice and smooth.

The second gun was the Sig 226 9mm. Either the sites were off on this gun or I was not using them correctly. This was my first time firing a Sig. It shot consistently high and to the left. My groupings were pretty good, but were only in the bullseye when I started compensating by shooting low and right. Is this normal for a Sig, or was it just an abused rental?

Anyway, Continental was very nice and had a great selection of rental guns. I will probably go back next week and try a few others.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The DA pull was very long and surprised me the first shot. The single action follow up shots were very nice and smooth.

The XD is a striker fired gun, the trigger pull is the same on all shots. Are you sure you are not confusing it with the Sig?

Is this normal for a Sig, or was it just an abused rental?

Abused rental gun. ;) It's getting worn out. Damn shame they only make it to 50,000 rounds :innocent0

All my personal 226's (I have 7) shoot POA.

Last edited:

baddevildog82

May 2, 2008
    Arbutus
    The XD is a striker fired gun, the trigger pull is the same on all shots. Are you sure you are not confusing it with the Sig?

Abused rental gun. All my 226's (I have 7) shoot POA.

As for the XD trigger, I am sure that I am not confusing it with the Sig, but I must have been off on why the first shot seemed longer than the rest. I would guess that it is because I wasn't releasing the trigger fully between rounds and so the action seemed shorted on the rest of the shots.

As for the Sig, I didn't mean for my comment to come across harshly. I apologize for that. All of the guns looked to be in great condition. If they all shoot POA, then I must not have been lining the sites up correctly. This was the first time I had fired a pistol with sites like the Sigs. I was shooting consistently high and to the left which is unusual for me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the range and you had the largest selection of rental guns that I have ever seen. The employees were approachable and helpful. I will be back.

Thanks,

Bobby

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    As for the Sig, I didn't mean for my comment to come across harshly. I apologize for that.

No apology nessary, I forgot the smilie after my post.

The rental 226 is old and shot up. The sights are way off on that gun! :D But it just keeps on shooting! Trust me it was the gun not the shooter!

I was talking about my 7 personally owned P226's shooting POA.

Glad you had a good time. Gibby and Adodson were working today, both are members here and great guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom