• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Driving is not a right, bearing arms is!

No training required, but encouraged!

We didn't have cars in 1789-- we did have guns....
    Certainly driving is a right to the masses--- could you imagine if Congress ( or a state--) made driving cars illegal for all?????? It goes right along with the right to unrestricted movement..... Is that considered a privilege? Certain individuals have that right taken away..... and those that can drive must take some training or at the very least pass a test....

How do we keep unqualified gun operators from from turning into Wyatt Earp, or hurting themselves or other innocents???

What is the norm in other Shall Issue states?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Certainly driving is a right to the masses--- could you imagine if Congress ( or a state--) made driving cars illegal for all?????? It goes right along with the right to unrestricted movement..... Is that considered a privilege? Certain individuals have that right taken away..... and those that can drive must take some training or at the very least pass a test....

Driving is not constitutionaly protected, thus it is a privilege of the state, and heavily taxed! License fees, registration fees, gasoline taxes, etc...

How do we keep unqualified gun operators from from turning into Wyatt Earp, or hurting themselves or other innocents???

Gee, is that a problem now? Aren't there people already securing their personal property? :sarcasm:

Walk in, fill out form, pay fee, pass background check, walkout with LCTF.

15 minutes tops, if you do not have to wait in line.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

Well, in AZ, AK and Vt there are no requirements outside of being legally able to own the firearm....NH will probably go this way this year and maintain an optional permit.

Many others have permit processes that are little more cumbersome while some require pints etc.....the trend is to fewer requirements overall

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

While we may know the answer about unqualified gun owners, these are the kinds of questions people will ask, and the nightmares the uneducated masses will have. We will have to have a solid and firm answer, even if it is the evidence shows that this is not an issue.

As for the norm, it ranges from no-permit required to background checks with live fire training and qualification.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

We DID however have horses, carriages and wagon.....none of which were regulated or licensed in any way, shape or form.

The mere thought of requiring a license or permit to ride a horse or drive a wagon would have been absolutely unthinkable to ANYONE in the 18th or even 19th centuries and these modes of transportation are the ancestors of the automobile and truck in the same manner that the muzzle loader/powder and ball/mini ball was to todays breech loaders and metalic cartridges

Owning a horse or team and riding that horse or driving that teamnwas not a Privilege....it was a Natural Right.

Owning a car/truck and operating it is logically also a RIGHT

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Stupid question. If you have to draw your firearm yell freeze,and call police ,can you be arrested for holding a criminal at gunpoint ?

I personally never cared about carrying a firearm till I worked in Randallstown. After another car theft in my neihborhood I just want out of Md all together.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Stupid question. If you have to draw your firearm yell freeze,and call police ,can you be arrested for holding a criminal at gunpoint ?

It could be deemed an illegal detention unless someone's life was in danger.

The only time to draw, is during a life threatening incident.

kerplooey

Jul 29, 2008
    Nunyabidness
    I would hope that everyone that desires to CCW should continue to have to take a course. It wouldn't solve all problems, but a good background check like Utah's would help weed out those that are gonna be trouble.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I would hope that everyone that desires to CCW should continue to have to take a course. It wouldn't solve all problems, but a good background check like Utah's would help weed out those that are gonna be trouble.

Just like (essentially) full restriction does now?

A few written words and some live fire requirement will not make anyone responsible. Take a look at how people drive. How well does the hours of class time, additional hours of one-on-one training behind the wheel and a comprehensive driving test prevent accidents and stupid driving? How many people strictly follow the speed limit? Make rolling stops? Etc.

Testing and live fire requirements are only a phantom panacea, and will make soccer moms feel warm and fuzzy. They will not prevent stupid from being stupid.

I believe responsable CCW's should take some training and have an opportunity to have time to consider what carrying a gun may really entail beyound a "coolness" factor.

-Boxcab

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    Just like (essentially) full restriction does now?

A few written words and some live fire requirement will not make anyone responsible. Take a look at how people drive. How well does the hours of class time, additional hours of one-on-one training behind the wheel and a comprehensive driving test prevent accidents and stupid driving? How many people strictly follow the speed limit? Make rolling stops? Etc.

Testing and live fire requirements are only a phantom panacea, and will make soccer moms feel warm and fuzzy. They will not prevent stupid from being stupid.

I believe responsable CCW's should take some training and have an opportunity to have time to consider what carrying a gun may really entail beyound a "coolness" factor.

-Boxcab

I would have no problem with two days worth of required coursework for CC - the functional instruction/testing, and a statute and scenario course covering the legalities on when and how deadly force can and should be applied.

Far more people will choose to drive than CC - you just can't weed out all the stupid and uncoordinated. As much as a "right" some claim driving a car/truck entails, horses and buggies weren't three-tons of high velocity metal capable of mowing down groups of people when operated by a nutjob.

I still believe that the majority that intend to CC have considered the weighty responsibility it entails before doing so, and take it very seriously...otherwise there would be almost daily "incidents" that would whittle away the surge in support CC has had over the past 20 or so years.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I would have no problem with two days worth of required coursework for CC - the functional instruction/testing, and a statute and scenario course covering the legalities on when and how deadly force can and should be applied.

Far more people will choose to drive than CC - you just can't weed out all the stupid and uncoordinated. As much as a "right" some claim driving a car/truck entails, horses and buggies weren't three-tons of high velocity metal capable of mowing down groups of people when operated by a nutjob.

I still believe that the majority that intend to CC have considered the weighty responsibility it entails before doing so, and take it very seriously...otherwise there would be almost daily "incidents" that would whittle away the surge in support CC has had over the past 20 or so years.

There is a difference in what you believe, and what has actually happened when states went Shall Issue.

Believe it or not, there has not been blood in the streets ;)

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    There is a difference in what you believe, and what has actually happened when states went Shall Issue.

Very true, and we have our neighbor to the south as proof of what would actually happen.

Of course, VA doesn't have all the yahoos that PG and Baltimore have.

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010

If you reread my post, you may see that what I believe is what is happening. I almost used the "blood in the streets" analogy verbatim, but avoided it due to the 'cliche' factor'.

I will state what I meant more clearly - In other states where CC has been implemented, you are not seeing people abusing the right, and we are not dealing with criminal incidents causing support to wane for CC - I think this is because most people are responsible and take CC seriously and see no difference why it would be different here (though I too wonder when driving on the roads...)

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

So, how much will this multi-day training cost? Who will pay for the cost of the course and the associated food and lodging (or will this always be offered locally for everyone in the state)? Will some act require that an employer hold a persons job while they are gone for training? How about lost wages? Child care?

Not everyone is in the same situation, making any extra requirement for training is too onerous. The fact is the requirements to CCW/OC should be no more difficult then the requirements to vote.

I hold that the ability to vote is more dangerous then the ability to CCW/OC.

-Boxcab

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A few written words and some live fire requirement will not make anyone responsible.

I believe responsable CCW's should take some training and have an opportunity to have time to consider what carrying a gun may really entail beyond a "coolness" factor.

-Boxcab

Those who are not responsible are not likely to take the time to get to a class on their own time and dime. Anyone serious enough to do that will be taking a more serious attitude toward carrying. Classes should include legal aspects of carrying and firearm safety.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom