Are you a Rimfire plinker or hunter, both?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'll try to be there this Sunday... Cant make it tomorrow. But I'm just curious on how a 22 Lr pistol would fair at those ranges. That seems like a lot of fun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That 17HMR should shoot flatter that the 22LR at that range. Giving you some advantage.

I'm expecting a 24" drop from my pistol at at 100 yards...LOL, factor in the wind, human error and my poor eyesight.. I'm expecting to miss about 6 feet.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    That 17HMR should shoot flatter that the 22LR at that range. Giving you some advantage.

I'm expecting a 24" drop from my pistol at at 100 yards...LOL, factor in the wind, human error and my poor eyesight.. I'm expecting to miss about 6 feet.

I just lined up the tip of the can with the top of the rear sights @100 and was dead on =)

no idea how subsonics will affect that.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I have to see, I honestly started by taking a shot and seeing how low/high I was ( after a quick sight picture ) then adjusting and learning the hold over from there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Paper targets, soda cans, paintballs and clays at the 100 yard line are my favorite targets for my 22LR. I really do not hunt.

+1 for the Plinker/ target shooter

+1 but add sicada to the list.. :D

(havent hunted w/ 22lr.. mostly deer hunting=slugs or 50cal ML.. still trying to get one w/ bow).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Paper and steel assassin here. Used to hunt squirrels as a kid on the Eastern Shore of MD in woods behind our house though. Back in the 80's it was even still common to hear shots from the woods there.

4MarDiv

Aug 18, 2010
    Fallston
    Both for me. This year my daughter has gotten reallyinterested in going shooting with me so I think this year Santa is bringing her a Remmington 597 in the pink real tree!:innocent0 she has shot my Ithaca and S&W and does quite well so I guess it's time.:thumbsup:

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    This is great to hear guys. We all know that the future of hunting/shooting sports lies with getting our kids involved. Plus, what wife isn;t gonna let you out of the house if you take all the kids?

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I love shooting 22's. I take my plinkster up to PA and we shoot all afternoon off the deck at iron swinging targets and cans. I need to get a semi 22lr rifle and a 22lr pistol next :D

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Both love shooting paper and targets with 22. I also take it out at least once a year for rabbit or squirrel.

Have a marlin 15y for my daughter when she gets a little older.

ballistic

adapt overcome conquer
    Oct 21, 2010
    Hurlock,MD
    The family and I all shoot .22's for fun. Started off on paper, but changing paper got to be a workout in itself. Changed over to steel targets. Atleast you can hear them hit. My 13 yr.old son has a custom Marlin Model 60 with Dragonov stocks mono pod,bi pod,4 power scope. Nine yr. daughter is shooting a Cricket, Savage Combo .410/.22 & Savage Combo 20gauge/.22 & a Sig Sauer 522 with a 40 mm red dot.Wife and I both shoot Sig Sauer 522's. Open BUIS sights on mine, and hers 4x16 scope. Where else can you go through 550 rounds with the family for for less than $20.00 and still make memories?

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    I'm an avid paper hunter. I love being able to hear the 22lr rounds hit the paper, over the report. Right now I'm patiently waiting for my infant son to be old enough to go shooting with me.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I do both. I like rimfires for their softer report, recoil, and cost to get people excited about shooting that have never shot before. Women and children alike are definitely more comfortable behind a 22LR before a 12GA or 243.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shoot paper mostly. I haven't taken the 10/22 out into the woods yet, as every time I go squirrel hunting I bring the shotgun. When the leaves finally fall, I'm in the woods with a deer rifle. I think this year, since I have my CC permit, I'll bring the 10/22 and keep the 10mm on my hip. I only see deer when I squirrel hunt and I only see squirrels when I deer hunt, so let's see how this works.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom