• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    Two other small details (may have been covered already) pertaining to misfires, ensure the primer flashhole is clear (i.e. no tumbling media stuck in the hole). And ensure you don't contaminate your primer with case lube (although this is often a non-issue when using carbide dies, requiring no case lube).

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Remington small pistol primers are the only primers I've ever had a problem with, which is weird because Remington primers are the gold standard for a lot of service rifle shooters. I've never had a problem with CCI, Winchester, Federal, or Tula primers.

A squib is almost always due to having no powder in the case. There is no way I can think of for a faulty primer to cause a squib. To prevent charging problems, I wet tumble my brass so that the inside is shiny, and make sure to spot check the charged case before I place a bullet on it for seating. Having a lamp with a flexible neck on your bench helps to see into the case.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    A number of guys have mentioned that the rounds pictured have an improper OAL, which looked that way to me too at first glance. That's just an artifact of looking at other types of rounds all the time. 9mm bullets stick out really far. I had to measure the ratio of the rim diameter against the OAL on the screen to convince myself that my eyes were playing tricks on me.

For 115 GR ball, I would keep the OAL at 1.1-1.15", maybe closer to 1.1", but I don't think your rounds are long enough to cause any problems.

aethyr

May 19, 2011
    Middle River, MD
    How are you storing your powder and primers?
    What was your source?

If the primer is getting a solid strike, and you are sure that the cartridge is charged, I start to suspect the powder.

Did you notice a pile of unburned powder when you experienced the squibs?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    If you are sure you squibs had proper powder in the round then it's wet/bad powder or faulty/wet primers.

OP, are you using a single stage press or which? Are you positive your scale is calibrated. What scale do you have and please take pics and post. If your scale is not calibrated your powder charge may be low. On the cases that fire normal, do they eject out a few feet away or simular to factory rounds.?

With your fail to eject issues I think your powder charge may be low.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Do you weigh every charge. A trick I learned was to charge a batch ( normally 50 in my block) then with a flashlight check to see that the charges look the same. Then I seat and crimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom