• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They're legal but I don't have the time to find the cite. Google can help. I believe Balt. City may prohibit them IIRC

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Great!

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Engage.

I always keep a buck knife on me, and learning how to use it was a part of my martial arts training. But I'm thinking about carrying a TASER too until the day I can get a conceal-carry permit here in Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just an FYI. To receive an activation code from Taser, you go to their web site and they actually run some kind of background check before sending the code. Probably not very thorough, but they do require it before activation.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why any civilian would want to carry a "Tazer" is beyond me.

It's a cool novelity item to show your friends....but for Joe Blow walking down the street it's really useless IMHO.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Would rather have a knive.

And for a "less lethal" option OC spray probably better then a taser.

I think you'd have concealing issues along with carrying issues. Do they make a IWB holster for them?

Going to carry extra cartridges? How about a restraint system because the "Tazer" is going to, if effective, only restrain someone for a few seconds. Going to taze the BG then run like mad?

What's your option if you deploy it do not get the desired affect?

How often are you going to train with it? The reloads are not cheap.

If it's not a lethal force situation what training do you have to help yourself in court for the pending lawsuit.

There's a lot of issues really...those are my first few thoughts.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Would rather have a knive.

And for a "less lethal" option OC spray probably better then a taser.

I think you'd have concealing issues along with carrying issues. Do they make a IWB holster for them?

Going to carry extra cartridges? How about a restraint system because the "Tazer" is going to, if effective, only restrain someone for a few seconds. Going to taze the BG then run like mad?

What's your option if you deploy it do not get the desired affect?

How often are you going to train with it? The reloads are not cheap.

If it's not a lethal force situation what training do you have to help yourself in court for the pending lawsuit.

There's a lot of issues really...those are my first few thoughts.

All good issues to consider, and many, perhaps all of which could equally apply to the use of a spray as well. For instance, you don't KNOW the spray is going to be effective, you might still have to restrain the person you spray, you could get sued by the perp after using the spray, etc.

And when you're defending yourself, there are lesser degrees of force that you can use and that might be more appropriate. It's not like lethal force is the only option other than being a victim. And the fact that you're defending yourself with something LESS than lethal force could credibly be argued in your favor; i.e., it shows your intention to not cause serious or permanent harm to someone, as opposed to using lethal force.

I'm considering a TASER because a) I can't legally carry a handgun in MD and b) I'd like to have MORE options, not fewer.

And as I've indicated, I'm already carrying a buck knife and have a good 10 years of martial arts training...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    How do you plan on concealing it? They arent exactly small.

Going to spend the money on the unit then a few more dollars on practice cartridges?

I'm guessing the public, a jury, and a judge will look at OC spray in a much different light then a Tazer.

Also it's an electronic device you are trusting your life to. I'm not a fan of that either no matter how reliable they are. I've seen several sent back for repairs without a ton of use (not saying most fail but it's an option.

For the cost I think OC, self defense, and a knive or much better options. You also have to worry if you are carrying it if you happen to head into either Baltimore you know have an illegal device with you. OC spray to my knoweldge isnt out lawed outright anywhere in the state but I could be wrong.

Is your "buck" knife a fixed blade?

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    How do you plan on concealing it? They arent exactly small.
    • a) am I legally required to conceal it?
    • b) The Taser C2 ECD, with cartridge, is 6 inches long, 1.25 inches wide and 2.10 inches high. For comparison, the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm is 6.1 inches long, .95 inches wide and 4.6 inches high. Seems fairly concealable. There are also stun guns that are smaller than the Blackberry Curve I carry every day.

Going to spend the money on the unit then a few more dollars on practice cartridges?

• Why not? The Taser C2 ECD costs $379.99 vs. the S&M M&P Shield 9mm at $449.00. The savings more than covers the $39.99 cost of two training catridges.

I'm guessing the public, a jury, and a judge will look at OC spray in a much different light then a Tazer.
    • Maybe, maybe not. I suspect the outcome of deploying either defense option would have a lot to do with the jury's decision. And either way, I'd think the jury would look less harshly at me for spraying someone or tazing someone than if I put a bullet in the perp.

Also it's an electronic device you are trusting your life to. I'm not a fan of that either no matter how reliable they are. I've seen several sent back for repairs without a ton of use (not saying most fail but it's an option.

• It's certainly not a perfect option. Electronic devices suddenly lose their charge. Spray dispensers can clog. Firearms can jam.

For the cost I think OC, self defense, and a knive or much better options.
    • OC and knives are certainly cheaper. Quality martial arts training? Maybe not.

You also have to worry if you are carrying it if you happen to head into either Baltimore you know have an illegal device with you.
    • I never go to Baltimore. :-)

OC spray to my knoweldge isnt out lawed outright anywhere in the state but I could be wrong.
    • I don't know either, but I bet when I go into a Congressional office building in DC, I'm not allowed to bring it with. Just like I always leave my buck knife in the office when I have to head to Capitol Hill. I'm not trying to be unnecessarily argumentative. The larger point I see is that whatever you're carrying with you to defend youself, other than your own body, is probably going to be banned from some places; you just have to be mindful of what you're carrying, where you're going and what's allowed and what's not.

Is your "buck" knife a fixed blade?
    • Nope. It's one of the small ones that can be worn on your pocket. But it's long enough to open a bad guy's wrist, slit his throat or clean out his retina.

I'm not trying to convert anybody to using a TASER or stun gun. I just think it may be a valid option for those of us that live in Maryland until we can conceal/carry.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I'm not trying to convert anybody to using a TASER or stun gun. I just think it may be a valid option for those of us that live in Maryland until we can conceal/carry.

You've just been 'professionally' challenged to perhaps changing your mind about that. It is a little silly to consider it. Not to mention PRICEY!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wouldn't bother personally, there have been instances where people have managed to pull the probes out and continue fighting, and a few where they continued fighting even with the probes in - not common at all, but it does happen.

Spray's, seem like a good idea, but not always effective - then there's also the chance that you spray into the wind and basically spray yourself.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    OC spray to my knoweldge isnt out lawed outright anywhere in the state but I could be wrong.

AFAIK it isn't outlawed but carry and use is defined in typical MD politician fuzziness. That shouldn't surprise any of us though. It is considered a dangerous weapon, you must be 18 and it may only be carried for defensive purposes. It does not say you can't carry it certain specific places but for sure and certain if a 2" pen knife will get you in trouble a can of OC will too (think courthouse and such). You also can't carry it on or in most Federal facilities, which we have a fair number of in MD but some you can have it in your vehicle just not on your person.

Use, defensive only. If there are any local restrictions I'd bet Rockville, Baltimore and Annapolis.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    To each their own.

Where would you be to OC a tazer? Seems a bit odd honestly.

The difference between spending money on a gun vs. tazer is the gun is multi purpose. Even a self defense gun you can plink with on a range.

It does have some "intimidation" to it...no one likes a red dot on them. Threating spray gets a lot of attention as well though.

I'm not an expert on the matter....just offering my thoughts on the matter. If it works for you and is legal go for it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In addition to the Rockville and G'Burg statutes refrenced by Tazer, be mindful of Md's Dangerous Weapons statute. Concealment is prohibited. While the Statute refers to "without intent to commit a violent crime" , some of the case law ( dangerous weapons generally) wanders into " intent to use as a weapon , w/o distinguishing between offensive or defensive" .

Yes it sucks in Md , and no, there aren't any unambigiously good answers.

As to others options referenced , it is very high probability to say that currently highly regarded brands of OC Will have substantial effect .... Eventually. Could be nearly instaniously , usually within a minute , occasionlly much longer. Not saying it's useless , or to not carry it , just giving a full picture.

Haven't had the pleasure of being on receiving end of Tazer , but the contact stun guns are much more useful in an institutional setting than for self defense on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom