• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Alright, so I have been wanting to build a longer range 223 rifle for a while now. I have one now that I have a vortex sight on that I use for distances 100 yds & under, but I'd like something for greater distances.

I am not going to try & shoot crazy distances, at most I am looking at very most 500 yds, but more likely 300 yds or thereabouts. I have a lower, trigger group, & stock already. I am looking for suggestions on upper receiver, bolt & carrier group, barrel (was thinking 20"), & optics. I am not going to be choosey on the hand guard, I am looking at the other stuff first.

My hope is to be shooting 77 grain ammo, but for the time being all I have is 55 & 62 grain ammo. I was going to look at optics w/ Bullet Drop Compensators b/c of the grain difference.

As for budget, I am hoping to keep the necessary parts at or under $1k. Since I have some of the parts, I am hoping this is doable.

Thanks in advance for all the valuable input, it's greatly appreciated!!:)

Oh & I am doing this on a 1k budget b/c I am selling a 5.7x28 AR upper w/ 5 50 rnd mags, & about 500 rnds.....you know, if you're interested in buying! I will be posting in the classifieds soon enough.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    white oak or rainier barrel (select is fine; match or ultra would be even better though), forged upper of your choice, BCM BCG, seekins MCSR.

muzzle device of your choosing.

should be way under 1k. unless you wanted glass included in that price. then a vortex 2.5-10x oughta do the trick.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My 18" White Oak barrel is everything I could want. Off the bench and in competition it has been nothing short of outstanding. It's 1/7 twist but shoots all of my handloads from 55 gr. to 77 gr. sub moa.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I used a DPMS 18" SS SPR profile barrel, 1 in 8" twist, on my 3-Gun rifle. No complaints here on accuracy with that barrel. I used a Spike's upper receiver, Spike's full auto BCG, Troy 18" railed hand guard, a low profile gas block, and an AAC brake/flash hider combo that's threaded to take one of their suppressors. I have a Millet DMR-1 1-4x scope on an American Defense AR scope mount. Good enough out to 400 yards. If I wanted to go further there are 1-6x scopes that are double what I paid for my Millet. I'm not that hard core yet.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Lots of optic choices. After trying a few I went with a Burris MTAC 1-4x24 ($363 from CTD). The 100-600yard BDC dots seem pretty accurate for WM Fed 100 rd .223 in my Stag 3GH upper and its 18" SS 1:8 barrel. I can often hit 3-5 straight targets in 3-gun field stages out to 300 yards (have not had to shoot farther so far).

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Alright, so I have been wanting to build a longer range 223 rifle for a while now. I have one now that I have a vortex sight on that I use for distances 100 yds & under, but I'd like something for greater distances.

I am not going to try & shoot crazy distances, at most I am looking at very most 500 yds, but more likely 300 yds or thereabouts. I have a lower, trigger group, & stock already. I am looking for suggestions on upper receiver, bolt & carrier group, barrel (was thinking 20"), & optics. I am not going to be choosey on the hand guard, I am looking at the other stuff first.

My hope is to be shooting 77 grain ammo, but for the time being all I have is 55 & 62 grain ammo. I was going to look at optics w/ Bullet Drop Compensators b/c of the grain difference.

As for budget, I am hoping to keep the necessary parts at or under $1k. Since I have some of the parts, I am hoping this is doable.

Thanks in advance for all the valuable input, it's greatly appreciated!!:)

Oh & I am doing this on a 1k budget b/c I am selling a 5.7x28 AR upper w/ 5 50 rnd mags, & about 500 rnds.....you know, if you're interested in buying! I will be posting in the classifieds soon enough.

Upper receivers:

Fixed front sight, no handguard/rail:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...pper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16 ss410.htm

No fixed front sight, free floated handguard:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ceiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16 ss410 vtrx13.htm

BCG's:

Either BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT is fine.

Charging handle: BCM Gunfighter (mod 4 is the preferred size for most)

Optic:

I'd look into the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40mm (Duplex or mil dot reticule) or the leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm (matte finish, duplex reticule)

There is a nice bundle here with a mount for the optic:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm-p5-dial-riflescope-matte-black.html

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    white oak or rainier barrel (select is fine; match or ultra would be even better though), forged upper of your choice, BCM BCG, seekins MCSR.

muzzle device of your choosing.

should be way under 1k. unless you wanted glass included in that price. then a vortex 2.5-10x oughta do the trick.

I just checked out both barrels, both on back order (no surprise), the White Oak was a min 20 weeks....must be a good company.

Malblast

Apr 15, 2012
    I picked up a mid 18 dd barrel that I'm building into an spr"ish". The wait times on the other barrels was 6+ months

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any bullet drop compensating optics will only get correct for ONE load. And at ONE set of environmental conditions (temp, pressure, altitude).

If you are going to be shooting different loads and in different conditions, you are better off with a reticle that allows accurate hold overs and matching turrets with reasonably fine clicks.

You then develop dope tables for the load and conditions.

For my .308 at 1000 yards, the difference in just changing the altitude from 500 feet to 2500 feet means a miss of about 20 inches without taking into account the altitude.

At the same altitude, changing from a 175 gr bullet to 168 grain bullet is a 17 inch miss.

BDC works OK for hunting with one load, but not for any kind of precise work.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    Any bullet drop compensating optics will only get correct for ONE load. And at ONE set of environmental conditions (temp, pressure, altitude). If you are going to be shooting different loads and in different conditions, you are better off with a reticle that allows accurate hold overs and matching turrets with reasonably fine clicks. You then develop dope tables for the load and conditions. For my .308 at 1000 yards, the difference in just changing the altitude from 500 feet to 2500 feet means a miss of about 20 inches without taking into account the altitude. At the same altitude, changing from a 175 gr bullet to 168 grain bullet is a 17 inch miss. BDC works OK for hunting with one load, but not for any kind of precise work.

Thanks for the good info. I will take a look at optics w/ a reticle set up & build from there. Definitely appreciate the advice. Suggestions on a less expensive reasonably good optic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom